Stabilized video from an Estes Air Walker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and here’s a couple pictures of the camera mounted in the rocket. I also attached a large streamer to the camera (visible inside the payload compartment in the video) in case it got ejected. I’ve spent far too much time searching for this little thing when it’s fallen off of a drone.

Attachments

• 446FF8D5-A621-4810-9361-9302A2044B20.jpeg
    446FF8D5-A621-4810-9361-9302A2044B20.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 682C998B-FE23-4DDD-9D07-D3470CD2C949.jpeg
    682C998B-FE23-4DDD-9D07-D3470CD2C949.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 16
Cool stuff!
What I'm guessing is wind noise over the camera microphone makes a sort-of buzzing sound from about 02 to 04 or 05 which has got to be useful for the basis of some sci-fi sound effect. :)

WOW! So somehow this camera video software or post-processing makes the rocket spin instead of the horizon! That's one reason I have gone slowly toward using a camera. Can you provide a little more info on how this is done?

That is impressive software indeed. And having that much asymmetric drag didn’t seem to perturb that AirWalker much either. What was the motor? Just from the total duration of the flight I’m guessing a B-something.

That is impressive software indeed. And having that much asymmetric drag didn’t seem to perturb that AirWalker much either....
You must have read my response on his other thread! Yes, I am still learning - I see a potential issue but don't have the proper "feel" for where it becomes a problem. I've seen others just gumband or tape cameras to the outside of their rockets and as you note, it doesn't affect things too much. It'd probably help if I'd launched more than 3 times in the 2+ years I've been back into the hobby... :rolleyes:

That is impressive software indeed. And having that much asymmetric drag didn’t seem to perturb that AirWalker much either. What was the motor? Just from the total duration of the flight I’m guessing a B-something.
I think it may have been a C6-5, hard to remember at this point though. I made a few more videos including some two-stage launches you can see on my very sad youtube channel :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRrV1CWG34P3E8gWl_CLVFg

I didn't launch a single time this summer, you guys are making me want to get back out there.

On asymmetric drag: I’ve launched a number of models with either keyfob cameras or the Mobius camera taped/strapped on the side and until the camera got to be a significant size with respect to the model and also the motor was small, the rockets didn’t seem to care much. A keyfob cam on the side of a BMS School Rocket with an A8-3 in it was about the only case I had where it was obvious the camera was an issue.

Back