St. Patrick's Day Theme Odd-Rocs...Let's see em!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
All Righty then! Winters almost over...Springs-A-Comin guys! and that means our favorite semi-Holiday is right around the corner.

Everybody's a little Irish on St. Patricks Day. so let see those Theme Odd-Roc. to help get the party started.

Mine is a couple year old now but I still get great joy out of bringing Him out of a little flying Jig! Since We've had such Sucky weather all winter looks like the March Narhams sport launch is gonna be busy with a number of backlogged themes and contest flights but I'm gonna try hard to get at least this one St Patrick's Day model back in the air on the 20th.
It's mostly party favors and decorations picked up at the dollar store and Micheals with a standard 13mm motor mount fitted through the pot and Leprechaun's body. Clear 12mm Polyethylene mailing tube extension stuffer tube was added to give a little extra clearance the the green durby hat thrown in the air.
fins are blown styrene shamrocks with Bamboo skewer stick Pins, and eposy fillets attached to the sides of our base pot-o-Gold.

It's a fun little flying jig, reaching around 150 feet on and A10-3T motor.

Hey Dick:
Have you a Flying-Durby-of-Death Yet? Teehehe it should be on your short list;)

458e1_Pot-O-Gold St.Pats Day Odd Roc Parts_03-04-07.jpg

458a1_Pot-O-Gold St.PatsDay Odd-Roc Complete_03-10-07.jpg

458a2_Pot-O-Gold St.PatsDay Odd-Roc Complete_03-10-07.jpg

Attachments

• 458a5_Pot-O-Gold Odd-Roc 2pic (128dpi)_03-10-07.jpg
    458a5_Pot-O-Gold Odd-Roc 2pic (128dpi)_03-10-07.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 458lp01e-sm_Pot-O-Gold 1st Flt OSL 4pic_03-24-07.jpg
    458lp01e-sm_Pot-O-Gold 1st Flt OSL 4pic_03-24-07.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 29
John,

As soon as I saw this thread I had an idea and decided to investigate it last night...

Here's the result...

Lucky Loft

Not sure if I've ever seen a 4-leaf clover saucer design but it sure do look good :)

I made this from 3/32" balsa sheet. It is quite balsa intensive. No intention of making this a kit but plan on putting it up as a free download.

Here are some pix
  • Motor tube with Petal Supports glued in place
  • Compound blade (petal) showing how the grain works to strengthen the assembly
  • One blade glued on (note the blade is covered with a color self-stick skin)
  • Underside of petal showing how the support works
  • Overall view of the Lucky Loft

DSC06335.JPG

DSC06336.JPG

DSC06337.JPG

DSC06338.JPG

DSC06339.JPG

Here is one final photo showing a nice top-down view for the full 4-leaf-clover effect :)

I have also attached the pdf's with the patterns and the color skins for anyone interested in experimenting with this.

IMPORTANT! I have not yet test flown this (just scratched it out last night and this morning) so I have no flight data. I hope to have it flown later today or this weekend.

This is an UNPROVEN design, so keep that in mind if you wish to build/fly this idea.

Any other ideas out there?

DSC06340.JPG

View attachment FPS-FRE04-LL.pdf

View attachment SKN-FRE04-LL.pdf

I LOVE the four leaf clover. Thats just way cool!

Don't forget this months contest is for GREEN rockets. so you better put them n the competition!!

:cheers:

Here is one final photo showing a nice top-down view for the full 4-leaf-clover effect :)

I have also attached the pdf's with the patterns and the color skins for anyone interested in experimenting with this.

IMPORTANT! I have not yet test flown this (just scratched it out last night and this morning) so I have no flight data. I hope to have it flown later today or this weekend.

This is an UNPROVEN design, so keep that in mind if you wish to build/fly this idea.

Any other ideas out there?

I don't know why, but I see this and think,"helo recovery".:D

I got a flight in on the 4 leaf clover.

She flies well, but the petals are too large. She is SO draggy. It looked good on paper but as I was making it I was thinking they were way too large.

It got about 40 feet on a C motor (see attached image).

I am going to re-design the petals and try again. I will post new files when I get'em done!

DSC06352crop.jpg

I got a flight in on the 4 leaf clover.

She flies well, but the petals are too large. She is SO draggy. It looked good on paper but as I was making it I was thinking they were way too large.

It got about 40 feet on a C motor (see attached image).

I am going to re-design the petals and try again. I will post new files when I get'em done!

Have you considered giving the petals some center line slope rather then flat? along with making the petals a bit smaller it would give them a little less span as well. If set wright could even induce a spin.

Does it have to be an oddroc? It happens, I have one that's inadvertently St. Patty's Day appropriate I made years ago with an LOC Legacy.

Way KEWL Jeff.
I'm a big fan a Dick Staffords flying hats...just can't bring myself to build one tho...LOL!!!
Your's looks like fun as well. I may have to go back to Micheal's to see if I can throw..no Fly my a hat in the ring;)

My Estes Leprechaun
leprechaun002.jpg

leprechaun001.jpg

Back