St. Louis Rocketry Association launch - Sunday Feb 26, 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Hi All,

St. Louis Rocketry Association will be hosting a one-day launch this Sunday, Feb 26, 2017.

For those who have attended past SLRA high power launches, we will NOT be flying at the Elsberry, MO. field.

Instead, we will be flying at a new field located in Addieville, IL. We've had two launches at this site and it seems to be working out well.

Setup starts around 10:00 AM.

We have a new waiver, good to 17,500' AGL.

Pads of all sizes will be available, from 1/8" rods to 1515 rails.

Maximum motor size: Simple N / Complex M (1000' clear radius from launch point)

We ask that you e-mail [email protected] if you are attending, and what you might be flying if possible, and if you have any unique launch needs, and we will see how we can help.

Once I have details on location, I will post it -- I've never been to this site myself.

Right now the weather looks favorable for the launch, but anything can happen. If anything changes, we will try to update this thread as well as the website.

We will not have any vendors at this launch. I believe there will be a porta potty available.

For directions to the field, please PM me or e-mail [email protected]

Hi all,

Sorry for the last minute notice, but today's launch is CANCELED. We will try again in March.

Mike- Sorry too hear that you were cancelled out but, I've watching this one as I know that area quite well and, it's only about 4 hours away.
I will be interested in seeing how it works out for a future trip.
Right now my build pile is HUGE and, I need some fresh pipe to fly. Sooooo I'm very busy sniffing epoxy fumes.
We will talk down the road of life! Thanks for giving the sport a Sunday launch option. (Which I desperately need).

Mike- Sorry too hear that you were cancelled out but, I've watching this one as I know that area quite well and, it's only about 4 hours away.
I will be interested in seeing how it works out for a future trip.
Right now my build pile is HUGE and, I need some fresh pipe to fly. Sooooo I'm very busy sniffing epoxy fumes.
We will talk down the road of life! Thanks for giving the sport a Sunday launch option. (Which I desperately need).

Yea - been watching this too! Looking forward to visiting this field

I'll keep an eye out for the post of the time and place in March. Addieville is only forty minutes from me.

Well, why didn't you guys speak up, then? We only had four confirmed attendees and one was recovering from a bout with Pneumonia so he wasn't going to fly, two of us were going to do high alt shots and we have cloud cover today (and forecast of rain, but it hasn't happened yet -- figures), and the fourth was ready to go... So we scrubbed it, with apologies to the fourth individual.

Hoping for clear skies in March!

This is the first thread I have ever seen for a St. Louis rocket launch. Didn't know there was such a thing.

I knew about the group but St Louie is not my favorite place to go. I don't have anything to fly yet but would like to come and hang out.
I'm sure I would have something to fly by spring or mid-summer. I might join your club but I won't be coming into St Louis. Thank you.

Well, why didn't you guys speak up, then? We only had four confirmed attendees...

Mike! :D Were all grown men here...I never said i could attend this one (I AM very interested though in attending future events). See i spent this Sunday flat on my back (as a matter of fact the last two of the three Sundays...*Sick*, which is VERY RARE for me). While i have your attention i would like to ask- Is this a Sod Farm or normal crops with a summer break? I didn't even know Dixie and, Nick were watching this too...Hmmmm? I'm sure if either one of them attend a future launch and, report back with positive reports you'll get more FREE advertising than expected! Do you plan to put up mapping or satellite imagery of the the field? I always like to scout the lay of the land before i attend any launch.
The sad thing for me (and, its my choice) is that i only get one day a week off...That being Sundays and, i unfortunately am booked solid with two major launches, my own club's launches...vacation...etc. until the beginning of June. (NO KIDDING). Lets just say- I am very interested and, sometimes unhappy with some of my fellow rocketeers who will not venture far from home. (Even to Midwest Power). I am always looking for good fields! :smile:

This is the first thread I have ever seen for a St. Louis rocket launch. Didn't know there was such a thing.

Me too Dixie, if you venture over give us a solid report sir!

Like Gus, I also work Saturdays.

And like Gus, before I drive 5 hours..........

"Once I have details on location, I will post it --"

More information please. :)

17,500 waiver,

Very Interesting.

Sorry guys - I meant that in a humorous manner.

We are currently working out our March launch date. We have one in mind that most have settled on, which is looking to be a Sunday (hey-oh!), but one is asking for the Saturday of. We will see - I will be sure to post it.

I am hoping it works out -- I have a flight that is sure to use the upper 20% of that waiver!

-Mike Walsh

St. Louis Rocketry Association has been around for a long time, since the early 90's. We flew in Elsberry, MO for a long time, but in the last five years, the property changed ownership and we were told to take a hike. Fortunately the farm owner just a plot or two south of the original field was willing to let us fly... With some restrictions regarding field access (re: access on a muddy field etc). Unfortunately we have had very few opportunities.

Then one of our board members crossed paths with a landowner across the Mississippi River, in a teeny town known as Addieville, IL. We've hosted one or two launches there, and it sounds to be a very good field (again, I haven't been yet). The landowners are very interested in our activities, and actually offered to BBQ brats for us this past weekend. Hopefully their offer stands next time!

Latest posts

Back