St. Augustine Rocketeers First Virtual Rocket Contest Opens Today!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Wu

Reaction score
Dear TRF members,

St. Augustine Rocketeers (StAR #876) is pleased to announce its first Virtual Rocket Contest! Using OpenRocket, a free, fully featured model rocket simulator, build a rocket that meets the contest and rocket requirements and we will have a virtual ‘flying’ contest on January 8, 2021.

Visit the contest page at Virtual Rocket Contest and register! Prizes will be awarded.

Cheers,
President, St. Augustine Rocketeers
StAR #876

I know it's not building, and it's not flying, but isn't anyone in the forum interested in this contest? I would think that some of you would've at least commented, or asked a question. I hope some will register for the contest.

Thanks, Neil. I understand people are busy with real priorities. Just FYI, you don't need to submit a design when registering. What it does is allow you to get updates and reminders for this contest. I should've added an early bird bonus...;-)

Please let me know any questions you might have, and good luck on the contest.

BTW, I'm hoping to have a substantial prize table in the very near future... stay tuned.

My big question is how to optimize for both max altitude and low and slow with the same rocket. It seems like it would depend on the details of the scoring algorithm to decide whether to optimize more for one or the other.

My big question is how to optimize for both max altitude and low and slow with the same rocket. It seems like it would depend on the details of the scoring algorithm to decide whether to optimize more for one or the other.

In my effort to be fair and transparent, I've provided a clue on the contest page as to where to find out some of the information you need (mainly, the scoring algorythm for the low and slow). The other variables, weather conditions, motors used, and the 'contest mass override' for the Max Altitude event, will not be disclosed (they will not be the same as the original contest).
Hope this helps.

Are you able to share details around launch rod length and diameter? Are their certain flight sim flags in OR that would be considered disqualifying? Things such as body tube continuity or high speed deployment / ground impact speed?

I think I can divulge that data. We'll use OR's default rod length of 36" - 1/8" (3.2mm) diameter. No DQs on this first event, but remember the rocket needs to have 'realistic recovery and launch lug' and set to deploy at motor's ejection charge.
Cheers

Fellow Rocketeers,

I'm pleased to announce St. Augustine Rocketeers has partnered with Discount Rocketry to bring you our first Virtual Rocket Contest! The generous contributions to the prize table makes this a contest not to be missed. Registration is free and open to anyone. Check the prize table here! You really have no excuse now...

Fellow Rocketeers,

I'm pleased to announce St. Augustine Rocketeers has partnered with Discount Rocketry to bring you our first Virtual Rocket Contest! The generous contributions to the prize table makes this a contest not to be missed. Registration is free and open to anyone. Check the prize table here! You really have no excuse now...

just opened OR whoohoo

Contest is closed now. It's a shame only 5 participants decided to submit entries. Lots of good prizes left on the table.

I figured you would have had more, wish I knew it was lacking entries I could have made a post to Facebook

Back