SS1 breaks sound barrier

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to admit it swiped the link from a post on the NARHAMS list.

SS1 seems to be progressing nicely. This flight alone was some accomplishment!

This is WAY COOL!!! :D Very exciting news indeed. I'm really pulling for the Scaled team to start this new adventure in commercial space flight. I think that if anyone can do it, it is Burt Rutan and his team. Way to go! :)

Regards,
Todd

Anyone still wanna place bets on anyone else to win the X-Prize? I know he's always been the frontrunner, but this has to be a nail in the coffin of a bunch of the other competitors. I haven't seen another public entry that's even close to where he's at.

Space.com had a story on the event as well:

Link to Space.com article

I've been wondering about that hybrid engine the SS1 uses...
I believe that most amature hybrid engines like those from Hypertek or RATT works relie on a pressure-feed system to get the oxidizer from the tank to the solid fuel. However, such a system has a problem in that as the pressure in the tank falls, both the thrust (n/s) and overall efficiency of the thrust (Isp) drops, due to the oxidizer/fuel ratio becomng sub-optimal.

My question is this: Does the hybrid moter on the SS1 have a turbopump like the 'big' NASA engines use, or does it use some other means to reliably deliver the oxidizer into the combustion chamber?

Once I saw Burt Rutan entered the competition for the X-Prize it was clear to me that: A) there would be a winner, and B) who the winnner would be. These guys are awesome...really gives you hope that progress can and will be made regardless of what NASA and the gov't do.

Burt and John Rutan were on the news last night (CTV a Canadian news channel I get)

John is the "builder" of the two and MAN...does he have a mouth on him! LOL!

His comments about NASA, "Those guys have their heads up their a***es!"

sandman

There were some rumors that Burt Rutan would try something noteworthy yesterday. I'd call that noteworthy!
What's going to hold him up is getting the launch license. He just started the application process a couple months ago.

Starchaser hasn't been progressing at a snails pace, though...mostly due to lack of money.

To answer the other person's question: Yes it was manned. The White Knight/SS1 cannot be flown at all without a pilot. Rutan didn't see the point in installing expensive and complicated guidence electronics, since the X-prize requires that system be manned anyway.

Yes we all knew that SS1 was manned, the question was in reference to the Starchaser. Lots of rocketeers break the sound barrier, not many with a manned vehicle. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Originally posted by NewEntity1
I've been wondering about that hybrid engine the SS1 uses...
I believe that most amature hybrid engines like those from Hypertek or RATT works relie on a pressure-feed system to get the oxidizer from the tank to the solid fuel. However, such a system has a problem in that as the pressure in the tank falls, both the thrust (n/s) and overall efficiency of the thrust (Isp) drops, due to the oxidizer/fuel ratio becomng sub-optimal.

My question is this: Does the hybrid moter on the SS1 have a turbopump like the 'big' NASA engines use, or does it use some other means to reliably deliver the oxidizer into the combustion chamber?

Hobby rocket motors rely on the self-pressurization effect of the nitrous oxide oxidizer to keep oxidizer flow going and chamber pressure up. Burt's motor is that and a helium pressure system as well, as far as I know. Turbopumps are big and heavy :)

Quite alright. I wish Starchaser luck also. My bets are on Rutan to be the first, but the more the merrier I say :)

PS I just home most of the teams don't quit once the prize is won.

No problemo, I am often clear as mud when I post :D Coulda, woulda, shoulda either quoted a post or given more than a one liner.

The Starchaser flights have all been unmanned. The first supersonic flight was essentially an M-powered high power rocket.

The only manned activity has been 2 capsule parachute drop tests.

Their website is https://www.starchaser.co.uk/index.asp

Bob Krech

Latest posts

Back