SRS Hybrids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
WooHoo!!

I will order a complete Sky Ripper Hybrid motor set (all 3 cases to fly all 6 certified loads), and a couple of reloads for it tomorrow from Common Wealth...So my adventure back to Hybrids begins.

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
So my adventure back to Hybrids begins.

Alright!!!! So we are going to have another "gas passer" at O-burg!!! I look forward to seeing the Sky Ripper motor, as all I have ever seen is the Hypertek system........

Randy,

The floating injector hybrids are quite neat. My experience is with the RATT I80, but I will expand that knowledge now with the Sky Ripper system. I will have to build a new rocket to fit the 36" long J motor...darn :D

Well, I placed my order and to my surprize there was a $20 HazMat fee if I wanted UPS shipping. I guess that is because the pre-heater grains are big enough to take notice :confused: not sure.

Well, I'll try to explain....

Sky Ripper reload kits can ship via USPS using the Toy Propellant exemption. However, there is a maximum size/weight that can be shipped using this exemption. Since you ordered both the hardware and realoads, the weight exceeds the total, and they have to go UPS, with Hazmat.

You could ask commonwealth to break up the order and ship the hardware and reloads separately. This may save you the hazmat charge, but would result in a separate shipping charge for the USPS package.

In the future, all of your reload kits should come via USPS, parcel post.

Let me know if I can help at all.

Sorry about getting you to explain all of this again Todd, I wrote this before I got your 1st email this morning. I had a good long talk with the nice people at Common Wealth, and they speak very highly of you. They confirmed all that you have said, and tell me that my parts are on the way...

Todd is one of those honest, fun loving rocket guys who have become a large reason we've stayed in this hobby, at least to fly publicly. Why fly by yourself in the middle of no d a m n where when you can associate, converse and learn with people like Todd? His Sky Rippers are simple, easy and a great way to get into hybrids without a huge GSE expense. It's just that WMV fetish that drives me nuts. 8<)

Weapons of Mass Ventilation???

Don't shoot me, but what is this WMV fetish??

Windows Media Video, I think.

I use the free windows program to encode video, and Chuck uses 'the other' brand computer...

His videos are much better in content and framing than mine are.. Mine are just in the universal format ;)

Weapons of Mass Ventilation???

Johnnie,

You just named you new hybrid rocket....... "Weapon of Mass Ventilation" or WMV for short..........

If you don't use it, I will!!!!!!!

Oh Ok, I get it now, Chuck merely shifted gears on me going from GSE straight into WMV...Thanks for clarifying Todd. :D

Rocketmaniac, you may have something there...My plan is to clone a slightly stretched version of the PML ION (PML's hybrid ready kit) and slam the snot out of it with the 36" SRS "J" motor...

"wmVION..." :confused: Idon't know about that name there, but the logo would be cool.

What Loopy said!

Okay - now I get it! Could I buy a segue please??? lol I like it as a hybrid rocket name, though!

loopy

Todd,

While my motors are in transit, I am looking for the needed supplies, and I have a question:

What are other forms of oxygen safe grease? Is Krytox at $44.00 for 2 oz. steep? and lastly, where can you recomend I get the Krytox or any other oxygen safe grease?..I take it that DOW 111 may be a NO! NO! for floating injector use?

I have a supplier here localy that can get me the adapters needed for HyperTEK adaption for about a $1 a set....

I only recommend Krytox. You don't need a lot, and it's 100% safe for use with Nitrous. Bob Fortune at Aerocon Systems has great prices on it, and his website is ultra cool. I buy one 2oz tube of Krytox and it lasts me a full flying/testing season. (I fly a LOT of hybrids ;) )

www.aeroconsystems.com

Todd

Taking your suggestion, I snooped around for Krytox, and found that McMaster-Carr has The general purpose DOW Krytox for under $30.00. Here is the p/n:

10195K29 $27.14

"McRocket-Carr"

Oh Ok, I get it now, Chuck merely shifted gears on me going from GSE straight into WMV...Thanks for clarifying Todd. :D

Nice little end around, eh? 8<) ........and I'm willing to overlook his wmv fettish cuz he's done such a great job with his motors.........but don't think I won't remind him of the misery it puts me through.

Keep flyin' it straight Todd! 8<)

He should put them in mpg. DOn't loose much quality... runs better then Mov... and you can run them on any mutimedia OS, including Palm Pilots :).

Originally posted by n3tjm
He should put them in mpg. DOn't loose much quality... runs better then Mov... and you can run them on any mutimedia OS, including Palm Pilots :).

As much as I beat him up about it, at least it works. There was a time wmv wouldn't work even if I bribed it, which is where the my attitude began. So I do get a chance to see his stuff even if I have to jump on one leg for a while and push the mouse with my big toe.

Mpeg encoders cost $, and I don't blame anyone who doesn't feel they have to shell out cash to make the movies available in Mpeg.

Anyway. back to the SRS Hybrids.........the 54s, anything new with the grains?

While my motors are in route, I thought I would take care other items that I will need to do before I can fly my new motors.

Our club is lucky enough to have it's own HyperTEK GSE. In order for to fly using this GSE, I will need to adapt the 3/16th inch line to the N2O line on the GSE. This is what I purchased from a local supply house:

1/4 AN maleto ANfemale-->NPT male to 1/8 bushing-->3/16th inch compression fitting.

In my case, the 1/8 bushing was needed as the NPT male version was not available. I ordered 2 of the above set-ups, and 20 extra furrels for the compression fitting for a grand total of $4.97...

Here is what you will need to adapt should you have a HyperTEK GSE to hook to:

1/4 AN male to NPT female-->NPT male to 3/16th inch compression.

I also ordered some DOW Corning Krytox from McMaster-Carr for about $27 as well.

I will get some pics up for anyone interested in my adapters...

Now bring on the motors :D

Wow!

The motors are here!! From Common Wealth to my door in 2 days, and at discounted prices to boot.

These motors are quality. (Period!) I will not start a review here, but...wow!

I have changed my mind regarding the clone of the PML ION, as a 2.5" rocket is more my game, Considering I have a "J" motor the size of a yardstick that is. :cool:

a little less than 3 weeks to go before I can burn one :-\

Here is what you will need to adapt should you have a HyperTEK GSE to hook to:

1/4 AN male to NPT female-->NPT male to 3/16th inch compression.
I will get some pics up for anyone interested in my adapters...

Pictures please! I'm *very* interested in the soon-to-be-released 29/76 G casing & my club has HyperTek GSE. Being a hybrid newbie, I have no idea what I need to get/do to make it compatible with the SRS motors. But I am willing to learn :D

Thanks.

Pics you want? pics you get...

Here is the simplest yet smartest of nozzles

since 76cc is approx 2.6 oz...I have started looking for smaller than normal NOX ..I don't particulary relish the idea of putting out $145-185 for 10lb or 20lb Nox supply tanks. Assuming $7 per ln for NOX that would be $70 to $140 to fill it all up.....and if you multiply 10lb x 16 = 160 oz/2.6 oz that comes out to 61 flights and if you divide $70 by 61 it comes out to $1.15 per flight for just NOX so $9 total flights on the G are entirely possible.

I wonder if industrial NOX is any cheaper than medical NOX? anybody know?

Also Anybody have any comments about these:
https://www.aeroconsystems.com/plumbing/12_and_20_ounce_bottles.htm

12 and 20 oz bottles..... 4-7 flights

or are any of these cost effective:

https://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSCA/RplcmtBttl.html

maybe a 1/2/5 lb bottle?

just asking....

Back