SR71 High Power Fiberglass Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Mac

Reaction score
Years ago, I saw a large 6”(?) tube based SR71 fiberglass rocket kit for sale for several hundred dollars. Might have had a 75mm motor mount, but I haven’t seen once since. Does anyone know anything about them? I haven’t been able to find any mention of them, but I’d love to recreate one if someone has the details or buy one if someone has one available.

I did look actually. I found a lot of low and mid power sr-71 rockets, particularly Estes, but I’m struggling to find plans on the high power fiberglass one.

I don't recall ever hearing of such, but I was looking at the Smokin/Performance fiberglass X-15 that was 6" (and I think I saw you ask about that one), but decided against it since it took K+ motors which I didn't think I'd fly much. A 6" SR71 should be twice as long if done proportionally based on bt.

Yep, that was me asking about the X15. I’ve got a yen to build some odd high powered rockets.

Sorry, no idea what brand the sr71 kit was.

Years ago Jerry Appenzeller showed up at a local launch with a prototype Loc 5.5" paper kit. He used to work with Barry when He had Loc. The kit never mad it to market. Maybe we can get the Barbers to resurrect this!!!

The SR71 is the supersonic plane that used two Buick Wildcat motors to start the turbines...

1618538745759.png

Years ago Jerry Appenzeller showed up at a local launch with a prototype Loc 5.5" paper kit. He used to work with Barry when He had Loc. The kit never mad it to market. Maybe we can get the Barbers to resurrect this!!!

5.5" SR71? That would be a beast. Maybe 4" would be a reasonable size? I bet it would fly nice on 2x38mm. Hmm, can I 3D print a 4" SR71 nosecone?

So Performance Hobbies took over the kits of Hanger 11?

No, two totally different kits. The Performance Rocketry kit is a fiberglass kit using fiberglass nosecone , fairings and G10 fins. I believe Ken can have the tubes made in Phenolic also though. The Hanger 11 kits had plastic parts with Phenolic tubes.

What you remember might be this thread for a possible fiberglass high power SR-71 model.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/sr-71-design.50816/
The thread does mention using a 75mm motor mount.
Does not appear that the kit ever came to fruition.

Back in the mid 1990s I was ready to buy a Yellow Aircraft 9 foot fiberglass SR-71 kit for conversion to a HP RC RG, but the kit was no longer available due to the molds being damaged.

The kits still show up for sale on the RC aircraft forums classified ads once in a great while.

What you remember might be this thread for a possible fiberglass high power SR-71 model.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/sr-71-design.50816/
The thread does mention using a 75mm motor mount.
Does not appear that the kit ever came to fruition.

That looks like a nice one. I've got access to a CNC, maybe it's time I learn about fiberglassing. I think the 3 motor cluster with airstarting the outboards is a safer way to launch as well.

Search this on eBay for plans that may be of assistance:

Giant 1/12 Scale Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird Plans and Templates 55ws

Last edited:
No, two totally different kits. The Performance Rocketry kit is a fiberglass kit using fiberglass nosecone , fairings and G10 fins. I believe Ken can have the tubes made in Phenolic also though. The Hanger 11 kits had plastic parts with Phenolic tubes.
Same type of design correct? I was just wondering in the provided picture of the X-15 if that's Hanger 11 or PH kit being displayed?

I like the idea of them, but even if I could afford it, the history is unsettling.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/performance-hobbies-x-15.133829/post-1577917
OMG! I've forgotten all about that! What a horrible, horrible mess. Thanks for that...if I ever decide to purchase, I'll do so in person if possible so kit for cash.
Sorry to go OT, but my own experience with Hangar 11 was pretty messy too. Parts seemed in piles all over the place at his store and I had to return several times for missing or wrong parts (I found out I had two left shrouds...seems he sent someone else two right shrouds). I was lucky that the store wasn't too far from me, but can imagine the ordeals if trying to get resolution via calls and mail. Buyer beware!

Just popping in and checking up if OP has any update...was also curious and would love to see a large scale SR-71.

PH does offer both carboard and FG 6" *X-15s*. Also the Hangar 11 *X-15* (both 4" and 6" which are now OOP) is phenolic tubing with plywood CRs & wings and some type of plastic (ABS I think) shroud and nose cone. Lmk if you'd like the RS file on it...has been pretty accurate and I just launched my 4" this past Sunday.

Just popping in and checking up if OP has any update...was also curious and would love to see a large scale SR-71.

PH does offer both carboard and FG 6" *X-15s*. Also the Hangar 11 *X-15* (both 4" and 6" which are now OOP) is phenolic tubing with plywood CRs & wings and some type of plastic (ABS I think) shroud and nose cone. Lmk if you'd like the RS file on it...has been pretty accurate and I just launched my 4" this past Sunday.

I’d actually appreciate if you could send me that file, thank you.

I did end up buying the “Cadillac” equivalent Smokin Rockets 6” fiberglass kit. As was predicted, it is indeed out of production/basically undocumented, took several months to arrive, was extremely expensive at $800 shipped, but, I do really like X-15s…..

I haven’t had time to build it yet, but if you need any info to build your own/etc, please let me know. As far asI can tell, the main “difficult” parts to build would be the wing pods and the cockit, though neither look terribly impossible to make. I’ll see if I can post some photos in a couple weeks once the move is done.

I’d actually appreciate if you could send me that file, thank you.

I did end up buying the “Cadillac” equivalent Smokin Rockets 6” fiberglass kit. As was predicted, it is indeed out of production/basically undocumented, took several months to arrive, was extremely expensive at $800 shipped, but, I do really like X-15s…..

I haven’t had time to build it yet, but if you need any info to build your own/etc, please let me know. As far asI can tell, the main “difficult” parts to build would be the wing pods and the cockit, though neither look terribly impossible to make. I’ll see if I can post some photos in a couple weeks once the move is done.
Ooh, so jelly! :)
I've sent you the file and I've seen a few postings about building that PH 6" X-15, but not sure if there was a full or finished one. I had posted a build on my H11 4" X-15 which was mostly completed and I've just updated...it may have a few helpful pointers.
Good luck with the move and please do post a build whenever you get a chance.

Back