sr-72 darkbird

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corpse

Reaction score
just got the sr-72 darkbird today from Apogee.
has someone made this one ?

starting to take shape

ps had to black out glue maker
they dont pay me to add.

now its starting to look like a plane.

n3tjm

it has no skin . maybe after i get it done i'll go and get
one of them Estes SR-71 Blackbird.

hey, lotsa progress! keep working on it and post some more photos!

I bought an SR-72 Darkbird kit a long time ago but have not put it together. I bought an Estes SR-71 when it was reissued and put it together right away. you have inspired me, maybe I will do the SR-72 this weekend.

Looks good!

Speaking of the Estes version, anyone ever try to make that one glide?

MetMan

Originally posted by MetMan
Looks good!

Speaking of the Estes version, anyone ever try to make that one glide?

MetMan

Yes.

Very embarassing.

Thought I had it worked out so that the ejection charge would kick the motor and the subsequent change in the CG would throw it into a glide with no actuation of elevons, flaps, or whatever.

I was the most glorious lawndart from 500' that you can possibly imagine. I little bit of "waggle" on the way down, but ultimately about 90 degrees to the horizontal, perfectly vertical impact about 75 feet from the launch pad. would have been repairable if not for that stupid "skin". Oh, well. I still have the nose cone in a stash box at my Parent's house (I verified this whille on vacation over Christmas, but could think of no reason to bother throwing it in the suitcase and bringing it back to Texas with me.)

In hindsight, perhaps a bit of tail weight and a flap system similar to the Gyroc, only the elastic pulling both flaps the same way, would work.......

......must.....experiment....../

:kill:

hope to see if it will fly on monday .
if motors show up in time.

it will be repainted black, if it comes home .
LOL

the apogee version is a great glider,,I've seen one fly at our launches and it really does well..!!

I've had my estes version fly horizontal(under power),but not intentionally

made it out today
1st time up it blow the nose cone off.
looked but could not find it.
have to order one this week.
and maybe a glider

Back