Squirrel Works Police Call Box Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
well, I've had it for a while and finally decided it was time to build this kit

I was a bit nervous about its complexity, but - let's give it a try

Opened the package to find 14 sheets of laser cut balsa parts :y: Maybe I should put it back into the build pile
No - No - no - let's take the plunge

So again, 14 sheets of balsa, 2 body tubes, motor tube, long launch lug, center rings, couplers, and other misc stuff.

One advantage - this is supposed to be a wooden box, so I won't be sealing the wood. Actually want the grain to show through
I did sand each sheet with 400 paper before I started removing parts

The fins I did coat (both sides) with filler. Discovered they warped real bad :mad:. So I wet them a bit, and put some weights on to make them flat again. The directions call for building the "booster" section with the fins first. Guess that will have to wait for the fins to flatten.

Here is a shot of all the parts

Call Box 1.jpg

I probably should have explained. This is a single stage rocket, but the motor section and fins are removable for display and this is the booster section.

You attach 2 motor hooks to the main body tube. This will hold the booster on - you do not want it to separate!
There are two squares that glue to this tube that the rest of the call box will attach to.

You then have to build up the 4 sides. Each side consists of 6 balsa pieces. The biggest concern at this point is removing all the "panels". Where the windows are there is NOT a lot of wood left, so you need to be careful. But nothing too difficult

The picture shows the sides built up with one already attached to the main tube

Call Box 2.jpg

You're going to enjoy this build. I made one a couple of months ago, but it never flew, it looks just too nice. The hardest part of the whole project was finding just the right shade of blue

Great kit. I built it, but broke the fins in route to launch.

I just bought one this week. Then my mind was running crazy and was thinking "hey what about a DALEK", so crazy me am currently pulling parts for a scratch biuld.

Your build is looking great.

I'm with you on the initial intimidation, due to the number of parts, but once you get started, you realize it's not so bad -- very well laid out, and the instructions are great.

Like too many things, mine still needs paint.

-Kevin

I agree with Troj. Nice kit in every way. Finished mine last year and gave it to my eldest son for Christmas. He's a huge Dr. Who watcher and fan.

Sadly, the Tardis has never flown at a rocket launch. But maybe, just maybe has been used for its intended purpose. :eyeroll:

tardis 1.jpg

I cannot even begin to imagine how much time and wood filler that takes...and I'm not sure I want to!

For the base you glue 2 pieces together with the grain at 90 degrees to create a pseudo-plywood. You then add trim. You will see from my picture I am using my ruler as a square for the trim pieces.

While waiting, I started the next pieces. There is a frame that glues to a back piece with two standoffs. I reversed the order of the build. The directions call for installing the stand offs and then the frame. I did the frame, applied a weight while it dried, and then did the standoffs. For the frames, I first cut out the center section, then sanded the inner surface to eliminate the laser bumps. Once the frame was glued to the backpiece I sanded the outside portion. I also used the glue bottles as a weight while the glue dries

Call Box 3.jpg Call box 4.jpg Call Box 6.jpg Call Box 7.jpg

I didnt do any filling or sanding except for the obvious sprues, I wanted to keep this looking like wood.
I may still have the remains of the can lying around. I will check what color I used.

DSCF1404.jpg

Sadly, the Tardis has never flown at a rocket launch. But maybe, just maybe has been used for its intended purpose. :eyeroll:

Don and I have discussed that, and he very intentionally has some differences between the Police Call Box kit and the Tardis. In addition, he avoids any and all references to the show, as he doesn't want to get smacked with claims of copyright violation.

-Kevin

Applying the corner posts, then the Police Banner frames and the front "notice"frame

Starting to look like a call box! :D

Call Box 5.jpg Call Box 8.jpg Call Box 9.jpg

Next you glue enough BB for WW3 onto the top of the box.

Then you get to build the top portion. This is the only part of the design that I think could be improved. Trying to get the 4 pieces to match up at the angles was difficult. Perhaps if there were some wedges that could be put underneath to support the at the correct angle? Anyway, I used some foam board and pins to help hold things together for this step

Call Box 10.jpg Call Box 11.jpg

That's a new angle on nose weight! The way the BBs are spread around makes me wonder what sort of shrapnel grenade this would be if there were some sort of violent CATO...

Ingenious use of foam core board to get the roof built. I'm going to remember that one!

I have to say ,that kit is a piece of artwork ,quite impressive actually ! I`d like to buy one ,just to assemble and look at it.

Think I`ll do just that :wink:

Nice build ,very enjoyable to watch.

Take care

Paul t

I have to say ,that kit is a piece of artwork ,quite impressive actually ! I`d like to buy one ,just to assemble and look at it.

Think I`ll do just that :wink:

Nice build ,very enjoyable to watch.

Take care

Paul t

+1 on that... Never seen Dr. Who, don't know anything about it except that the police call box seems to be some cult idol seeing as how a quick search of thinkgeek and the like turns up mass quantities of products featuring it. That being said, as a former 2600 fan, I'd love to build one and paint it like a phone booth :)

Don and I have discussed that, and he very intentionally has some differences between the Police Call Box kit and the Tardis. In addition, he avoids any and all references to the show, as he doesn't want to get smacked with claims of copyright violation.

-Kevin

Ok, understood. "I kit-bashed mine and built it the way I wanted it when completed." Is that ok?

The last part was difficult, but I have no suggestions. Building the dome on top. You need to cut 4 short (1/4") of dowel (although actually square balsa), a clear tube, and the circular tops. Getting this all to come together and straight was frustrating. Finally let the expoxy set up a bit so it more stick and everything wasn't trying to fall. Didn't get it perfect, but doesn't look too bad

Call Box 15.jpg

Fortunately, the fins did flatten out so I got to build the booster. The design also provides for balsa gussets to strengthen the TTW joint. I used F&F on the fins. I still need to do F&F on the gussets. I decided to wait until they glued on for fear of breaking them

Call Box 13.jpg

Call Box 17.jpg

And the final shots. All built waiting for paint.

Unfortunately, that part will be delayed due to Sandy :(

Call Box 14.jpg Call Box 16.jpg

WOW - sorry for the delay. Lot's of personal and work issues. Finally got it painted and stickers put on. Looks pretty good to me. Will have to wait until later in the year to try flying

Police.jpg

Curses

Just got an order for some level 4 Estes kits yesterday since the wife wanted some complex kits. Those should keep us busy for months... and then I see this. We are uber Doctor Who nerds. Like the really really annoying kind. I basically have no choice but to pick one of these up.

I have a TARDIS cellphone cozy and Son #1 has a Time Lord symbol tattoo.

Yes, we are DW geeks, too.

My daughter has the iphone cover and the Tardis ring tone.

She gave away her Squirrel Works Tardis (Excuse me...Police Call Box!) but I have another one to build for her.

Back