Squirrel Works Closed Until Tuesday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
The Squirrel Works will be closed until Tuesday morning due to problems associated with the record snow fall this week. The snow in Dallas is melting away but we still have to deal with the mess it created. One of our neighbors was kind enough to plant several decorative trees between our house and his pool. Trees that catch and hold several pounds of snow, more snow than they can support. One tree snapped and fell into his pool, two more broke and fell onto our house. We're cleaning up that mess now. Due to trees breaking all over the metroplex, we've been deluged with orphaned baby squirrels and have several new additions to the family. I just spent the morning going from one animal hospital to the next picking up rescues. We were without electrical power and phone service for about 28 hours and we have some catching up to do. Power has just been restored but we're told it will be off and on for up to a week. So even though we will be shipping orders again Tuesday, we do expect some shipping delays for a few days following. The unreliable power will also cause delays for those of you that have ordered custom cut parts. We apologize in advance but we're at the mercy of the utility companies.

Yikes, Don! At least you're safe, which is what matters most.

-Kevin

I was going to start with the pansy comments...

But the orphaned baby squirrels changed my mind. Big time.

Take your time my friend, and take care of all those babies. We'll still be here.

We just had another 15 hour stretch without electricity. We were bored with sitting around in a dark house again so we went out with friends for a little dinner and drinks, then back home to a dark house. Four of these in 20 minutes will get you thinking. It has crossed my mind that a PT Cruiser looks like a midget hearse. Now I'm going to have the urge to follow one, every time I see one, with my head lights on so that people will think the little guy had at least one friend. :D

Here's a piece of advice from my experience last night. When someone asks how you met your wife, don't say that you both had the same parole officer. That gets you hit real hard.

I'm not sure I understand the "pansy comments" remark.

Jägerbombs?
Woof....

Sounds like something that would make you hurk your socks the next morning.
:caffeine:

But your insight into midget funeral processions makes it all worthwhile.
:roll:

I'm not sure I understand the "pansy comments" remark.

From the amount of snow you guys got. My brother has been in for a week now, and all he does is complain about the snow and how cold it is. He forgets that this is mild compared to what we usually get.

But, in 2 months, he's coming home for good.

Last edited:
It was a record snow fall for this area. It took out power to thousands of homes. I don't see anything pansy about it. So tell me, does a manly-man like you just go out and restore power to several city blocks by himself?

Snow problems are all relative.

We're currently laughing about my aunt, who lives in the DC area, who's complaining that we "just don't know what it's like" because they don't have anywhere to move the snow.

Yet, for over 6 weeks, we've had narrowed streets, snow piled in the middle of the streets, etc, because we ran out of places to put it, back in December.

For the south, 1/2 inch of snow will pretty much shut things down, as folks don't have tires for it, the cities don't have snow removal equipment, etc.

Nonetheless, it's fun for us to make fun of you for it.... :D

-Kevin

Okay, we've had property damage to our home, had to stay in a house with no heat and had to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of food that has spoiled. I should have seen the humor in it sooner.

Okay, we've had property damage to our home, had to stay in a house with no heat and had to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of food that has spoiled.

Yikes!

That's anything but humorous!

Let me guess -- a wet, heavy snow? That stuff sticks on evergreens and causes horrible problems.

-Kevin

It was a record snow fall for this area. It took out power to thousands of homes. I don't see anything pansy about it. So tell me, does a manly-man like you just go out and restore power to several city blocks by himself?

And let's not forget that you were "Mister Sob Story" for a while.

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=42521
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=39804
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=35090

Yeah, I missed the part about the power. Sorry about that.

And yeah, I still am Mister Sob Story. I think I may need to find someone to talk to.

Okay, we've had property damage to our home, had to stay in a house with no heat and had to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of food that has spoiled. I should have seen the humor in it sooner.

Sorry to hear about the house. We got lucky over here - one of the front yard oaks lost a large (probably 6-7" in diameter) branch that fell onto the Freestyle. A nice crease in the top, but no broken windows. Some touchup paint, and only Carfax'll know! 18" measured in the back yard. Was only without power for about 20 hours, not enough for the food to spoil in the freezer.

Oncor (the company that delivers the electricity to most of the homes/businesses around here, for those of you not from around here) is still estimating abou 40,000 homes without power this evening. One of the teachers at my wife's school said the repair crews came by about 8pm tonight saying that they were trying to get her street up and running tomorrow or Tuesday, but she's gotta be at home before they'll turn her house back on.

Never had to deal with that when we lived where it snowed a lot.

Here is a toast to warmer weather, the return of electrical power and caffinated squirrels.

SquirrelCaff_image001.jpg

I'm going to publicly apologize to Don, because I owe it to him -- I posted publicly, so I'll apologize publicly.

I hadn't realized the severity of the situation when I made the remark about having fun picking on them when snow shuts them down. They got over a foot of heavy, wet snow, which is wreaking havoc.

Nothing funny about losing food, or having your house damaged.

My apologies, Don, and I'm glad that you and Terrie are safe.

-Kevin

I'm going to publicly apologize to Don, because I owe it to him -- I posted publicly, so I'll apologize publicly.

I hadn't realized the severity of the situation when I made the remark about having fun picking on them when snow shuts them down. They got over a foot of heavy, wet snow, which is wreaking havoc.

Nothing funny about losing food, or having your house damaged.

My apologies, Don, and I'm glad that you and Terrie are safe.

-Kevin

Yeah, I do too.

My cousin lives down there, and I tease her when she says its cold. She was raised in New England just like me. She pulled out her vidcam and sent me some of the scenes around town. That's when I saw how wrong I was.

Don, I'm sorry. You and your family, old and the new ones, keep safe.

Bob

Sorry to hear how bad it was. Around here we get a storm like that (or an ice storm, which is similar in damage) every 5 or 10 years. It's bad but not THAT bad 'cause we get one every 5 or 10 years. The trees break off all the weak branches and limbs. I've even heard professional tree people refer to it as nature's way of pruning the forests to keep them strong and healthy. They also suggest that in five or ten more years the broken places will provide habitat for cavity nesting birds (and squirrels). It's REALLY bad when you haven't had one for a while or in a place like where you are because the trees are all weaker and there's far more damage.

Glad to hear you're okay. I hope your insurance people are good.

The trees break off all the weak branches and limbs. I've even heard professional tree people refer to it as nature's way of pruning the forests to keep them strong and healthy. They also suggest that in five or ten more years the broken places will provide habitat for cavity nesting birds (and squirrels).

I guess that won't be the case here. All the branches seemed strong enough, the trunks of the trees broke about 6 feet above ground level. I don't know if the trees will grow back with that kind of damage (they were about 20 feet tall) but the owner may just cut down the remainder.

Our house got hit by the very tops of the trees as they toppled over about a 4 foot section on one and 6 feet on the other. The two roof sections are under repair right now, probably finished by the end of the day.

Our house got hit by the very tops of the trees as they toppled over about a 4 foot section on one and 6 feet on the other. The two roof sections are under repair right now, probably finished by the end of the day.

Good to hear the repairs are under way -- don't want the damage remaining when the rainy season starts. You don't need more home damage!

-Kevin

Back