Squirrel Works Callisto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
bannerX3.jpg

The Squirrel Works is pleased to announce our last kit release of 2004. The Callisto is a high performance sport rocket with a retro sixties look. The kit features a full color face card, balsa nose cone and transition, water slide decals, laser cut fins and a mylar parachute.

We already have plans for some exciting kit releases in 2005 with the Fireflash, Doug Sams’ Tuber, Ajax and El Dorado to name a few.

Yes it includes the nozzle, you can build the kit exactly as pictured with the package contents and some paint & glue.

Is the tailcone formed plastic, metal, or what? I'm curious because I'd love to be able to do that kind of effect on several of my rockets, but can't find anything to stand the heat that would not be metal...

As for Jupiter, if you look directly through the center of the Great Red Spot, you'll see Florida under there somewhere...

WW

W-

You can get away with plastic. An example would be the Outlander, The tailcone is plain ole polystyrene. the cone is about 2" in dia and 1" deep. the 18mm motor is positioned so itis halfway thru the vone. I've flown it 5X with no noticeable heat damage. And it's painted black so I am already at a disadvantage.

On my outlander, I cut off the tail cone so I could use a 24mm motor tube. I made a tail cone out of a double layer of 110# cardstock and then gave it a couple of coats of Polycrylic.

You would swear it's made out of plastic.

I also made the tailcone on my orbital laboratory out of cardstock coated with Polycrylic. It lands on the cone and after about 6 flights, it looks like new.

Originally posted by wwattles
Is the tailcone formed plastic, metal, or what? I'm curious because I'd love to be able to do that kind of effect on several of my rockets, but can't find anything to stand the heat that would not be metal...

As for Jupiter, if you look directly through the center of the Great Red Spot, you'll see Florida under there somewhere...

WW

The nozzle is heavy cardstock, an interior reinforcement helps it keep a circular shape and adds durability. The motor casing hangs far enough out the back so that it is the impact point during landing. Then as it falls over, the fins touch the ground next. The nozzle never really absorbs any impact. I've flown this design several times and all the nozzle shrouds look like new.

I guess we got sidetracked on the nozzle.

The Callisto is a very cool looking rocket. It looks like something that could have been produced in the 60's.

I think that it will be on my "I want to buy" list.

I have found that cardstock nozzles are actually very durable and if I happen to crush one, I can just remove the old one and put on a new one.

Very cool lookin' rocket!

If I didn't have so much on my plate...I'd buy one!

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
Very cool lookin' rocket!

If I didn't have so much on my plate...I'd buy one!

Jason

You, my friend, just need a bigger plate, or maybe a second plate. Heck just go for the whole set of dishes. :D

Back