Squirrel Works Arapahoe-E (alternate paintjob)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I finished up a Squirrel Works Arapahoe-E, but did an different paintjob. I didn't use the provided Thunderbird stickers as they didn't fit in well with the fin's paint scheme. I used Tamiya Coral Blue for the turquoise color - it is a little darker than in the photo.
DSC01984.JPG

I'm probably going to use C11-5s, which should send it about 470 feet. Next step would be Quest Q-Jet D16-4 or 6. Maybe under perfect conditions would I break out a D12-5 (920 feet or so). For some reason, the rocket weighed in at 2.87oz vs the 4.1oz that the package specifies.

I tested the rocket out on a C11-5, and it was a very nice flight. It had a lot of get up and go, but drifted a fair bit with an 15" parachute - I substituted a thin nylon 15" parachute for the provided mylar one. If I get a low wind day, I'll break out a D12-5 and it should be a nice high flight.

This design did NOT like the specified E12-6 motor, going totally unstable, pinwheeling and crashing while under power. Completely destroyed; I only salvaged the parachute. I recommend people flying this kit check CG/CP before using the E12 motors.

Attachments

• DSC02399.JPG
    DSC02399.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 59
Yep, stunk. The irritating part was the package said an E12 was suitable... for some reason the weight of the rocket was way off too. I actually checked the directions to see if one was supposed to add noseweight or something, but nope.

That stinks. I've had that happen before. It's such a shame after putting in hours to make a rocket look really good. Yours looked great.

Does the Squirrel Works kit come with nose weight? My original Thrustline build had two good-sized steel washers mounted on the base of the NC, though I don't recall if they came with the kit, and I don't have the original instructions. It flew arrow-straight on it's last flight with an F32. Recovered it after a few months in the weather, the NC and TC was salvageable. I need to rebuild it one of these days!

Yep, stunk. The irritating part was the package said an E12 was suitable... for some reason the weight of the rocket was way off too. I actually checked the directions to see if one was supposed to add noseweight or something, but nope.
How far off was the weight? If the weight was off, the GC was likely way off as you suspect. That would explain a lot. It really sucks when a nice build goes south. Or every which way in this case.

Tony

How far off was the weight? If the weight was off, the GC was likely way off as you suspect. That would explain a lot. It really sucks when a nice build goes south. Or every which way in this case.
Tony
For some reason, the rocket weighed in at 2.87oz vs the 4.1oz that the package specifies.

Back