Sputnik (SS-6/R7) scale data/photos?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjarvis

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm working on a BIG scale Sapwood/Sputnik combo for clustered HPR power.

I'm having a real trouble finding detailed scale data on the vehicle. Based on the fact that no real data on the original is available for obvious historical reasons... I think my best bet is to base the booster on more recent R7 based boosters, but even finding pics of those seems to be all but impossible.

I have Rockets of the World, but at 1/10th scale, I'm going to need more detail than those drawings can afford.

Does anyone know where I can get some more detailed drawings from? Or some photos of the booster?

Thanks!

Ben

Did you try downloading rocksim? Just a thought. When I did an upscale of the quark, I used rocksim and a good old caculator. Good luck. Seems to be a neat project.

I hope rocksim works. You might have to find a file to download to do it. I cannot seem to find the webpage my dad uses to download his files. Well, good luck! :)

Check out the NAR's "Russian Scale Data" cd-rom, it's $30 US, I don't know how much they'd charge for shipping to the U.K. though.

I think the NAR scale data is Mike Dorffler's info.

Peter!!! Oh, Peter??!!

Where is that guy when we really need him?

sandman

Ben, in case no one else has mentioned this...

POST PICS!!! :)

at least once your project's finished.

Good luck to you - I think the Russian launchers are some of the coolest-looking rockets ever designed.

The other thing to try is a search on TRF. I know there was a thread regarding the paint scheme for the Vostok configuration. It is not as it appears...

Originally posted by sandman
I think the NAR scale data is Mike Dorffler's info.

He no longer sells scale data CD's, which is why I didn't mention him. But I believe he is the one who compiled the NARTS Russian data cd-rom (his name is listed as creator/modifier of the DOC's on the disk). I never bought any disks directly from him, but I believe you're probably right about it being the same data.

The R-7 vehicle drawings (done by Vladimir Minakov) are just flat-out incredible, showing detail down to the rivet level.

Here is one of Vladamir's drawing.

Not very good example and it isn't a Sputnik (it's a Vostok)

I have to reduce it to post it.

Just an example.

sandman

Originally posted by graylensman
Ben, in case no one else has mentioned this...

POST PICS!!! :)

Oh yeah, ditto for me, too!

Tim, did you start your own Vostok project yet? I remember a while back we exchanged PM's about the struts.

I have photos of my own Vostok (and links to a couple of flight videos) on my home page (https://members.verizon.net/vpearman).

Thanks all for your help...

Did I gather correctly from all the above posts that there used to be a CD of Russian scale data, but that it is no longer available?

I'd be very happy to pay for one, and UK postage if there was one available... or anyone knew where one was.

Yes, I will certainly post pics.... it's become a longer term project now, aiming for completion by next summer as the propulsion has got real complex and is gonna need pleanty of testing.... looks like we're deffinitely going with four Pro-54 reloadables in the core stage providing the real power, with a four-nozzle, single chamber, low (if any) thrust hybrid in each strap-on... if I can be bothered I'll put Estes mini engines in all of the verniers too.

In the mean time I'm making a 1/14th scale Cosmos SL-8 (with slightly enlarged fins to maintain stability) to fly at an event later this year.

I'm hoping to try and get an HPR scale competition off the ground over here as there seems to be increasing interest in scale projects.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help...

Best regards

Ben

Originally posted by benjarvis
Did I gather correctly from all the above posts that there used to be a CD of Russian scale data, but that it is no longer available?

I'd be very happy to pay for one, and UK postage if there was one available... or anyone knew where one was.

Yes, I will certainly post pics.... it's become a longer term project now, aiming for completion by next summer as the propulsion has got real complex and is gonna need pleanty of testing.... looks like we're deffinitely going with four Pro-54 reloadables in the core stage providing the real power, with a four-nozzle, single chamber, low (if any) thrust hybrid in each strap-on... if I can be bothered I'll put Estes mini engines in all of the verniers too.

In the mean time I'm making a 1/14th scale Cosmos SL-8 (with slightly enlarged fins to maintain stability) to fly at an event later this year.

I'm hoping to try and get an HPR scale competition off the ground over here as there seems to be increasing interest in scale projects.

Ben -

The NAR Russian scale data cd-rom IS available still, from the NAR here in the U.S.

This URL should take you right to the online store:
https://secure.consumersinterest.com/nar/narts/store.asp?groupid=92400111757284

...note that the disk is about $35US for non-NAR members, I have no idea how much they'll charge for shipping to the U.K. though.

Your project sounds ambitious and awesome! Looking forward to seeing images of it, when you're done!

Originally posted by benjarvis
Hi all

I'm working on a BIG scale Sapwood/Sputnik combo for clustered HPR power.

Does anyone know where I can get some more detailed drawings from? Or some photos of the booster?

Have you checked Google Images? I find lots of real bird as well as model bird photos there.

There'a a Russian made plastic model available too. If I were going to build a flyer, I'd get a static to work from. That seems the only way I'll ever get the Boeing Bird of Prey flying, and so be it.

Back