SPRockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut

Reaction score
Stands for Spare Parts Rockets . They're ugly, they're thrown together with whatever falls behind the work bench, they're future sacrifices to the Rocket Godz. They're fun to build.

After getting done reassociating all the disparate parts from the 20 odd Centuri rockets (and the odd Estes) I had in my large box of parts, I still had a small pile of leftovers (shredded fins, creased BTs, plastic nosecones without shoulder inserts, spacers, engine blocks, etc.)

I decided to have some fun and do a couple of throw together 'what if's' just grins and giggles. I'm no rocket designer, and I still need to string test these things, but I had a blast throwing them together.

The smaller one on the right I call the Argon, cause I guess that if you put a C-6 up its rump it Ar-gon. It started out as a body tube (BT-20? ST-10?) that already had a motor assembly and engine clip in it. I found an old dented balsa NC that fit, and alrady had a old 12" Estes Star Wars chute attached. Cut some elastic, and glued in one of my handmade cord mounts. Then I made some simple raked two piece fins with feet and glued the whole mess together. The cone was already red, so I shot the rest of it silver, masked it, then shot the fins black. A couple of decals, pin stripes and a coat of Future later I had a Rocket.

The larger one started out as a smaller gnarly dented body tube with a reinforced plastic transition glued to it. A had an 8" section of crushed BT fom an old Iris kit that fit on the end, so I hack off the good part and glued it on. I had a plastic NC that was the right diameter, but had no shoulder insert, so I cut one out of a block of balsa and sanded it to fit. I found a BT20 size engine tube, a motor block, and some spacers and glue them into the bottom tube. Then I had three large red fins from God knows what lost rocket that I sanded the roots down on and glued them on. I also had a few rough small black fins that I cut down from trapezoids to triangles and glued on. Attached a long shock cord to the upper BT, and put a screw eye in the new balsa shoulder, and it was done, all in about an hour (except for the glue drying). No need to paint it, as I have no idea if this thing is going to survive the first flight, but I did throw on some striping tape and a couple of decals on it to give it a proper look. I'll string test it and make it a 'heads up' launch. :p

It needs a name though. Something like 'Daamram' :D

So, what other DIY hack job junk yard mongrels are lurking on the back of your shelf?

Those are actually some pretty good looking rockets in my opinion. I've only built a couple of SP Rockets, but no longer have them. They weren't as good looking as yours, and were just one of those things where you launch it on an A, get it back, try it on a B, then if you get it back, go for the C.
I lost one on a B6, the other on the C6.
But hey, 5 flights on 2 junk rockets isn't bad. :)

Tim

Originally posted by Lugnut
So, what other DIY hack job junk yard mongrels are lurking on the back of your shelf?

I call them "dunsels".

That's what I named this one:

https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8166&highlight=dunsel

And actually, my Big Dumb Booster Design

https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12694&highlight=dunsel

is one also. It started out as spare pieces of 3" and 4" tube. Everything but the transition was space parts, and it was supposed to be a 75mm MMT tail cone for a 98mm airframe.

I've also got one that's a test bed for metal scrubbing pad ejection baffles, to figure out just how much they glog up with junk, or how much they deteriorate and fall out over time. All of it except the scrubbing pad was left overs from various kits and partially destroyed rockets.

I build lots of these, but I usually throw in non-rocket parts also.

Well, it's not so much a Spare Parts Rocket as it is an extra motors and
nose cones ship... :)

I discovered with all the Estes Bulk motor packs I'd been buying at Michael's, I
had an over abundance of 13mm motors. I also had several of <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5919"> these ugly Estes nose cones</a>
from the NC-55 mutlti-pak. sandman mentioned in that thread they're for the <a href="https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est2125/est2125.htm">Estes
AIM-9 sidewinder</a>... I might just have to clone that to get rid of the other NCs. ;)

But to help deplete the motor supply called for a cluster design (of course).

The result is the no name rocket in the attachment.

The BT-55 top and bottom, separated by BT-20, gives it a bit of
a <a href="https://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/delta/dlsfamily.htm">Delta II</a> feel. Or maybe a <a href="https://www.astronautix.com/lvs/scoutd.htm">Scout D-1.</a>

I still haven't decided what shape/size fins to attach, but they'll probably
wedge thru the wall between the MMTs.

LOL! I have a pack of those BT-55 cones. I had lost the nose to my Quest super Egale, and order a pack "blind", and I got these butt ugly nose cones. I cut out the senter section and grafted it together to make one long nose cone. I had no idea it was supopsed to be sectioned. Thats too funny. Guess I'll hang on to the rest and make a Sidewinder repro sometime.

As for the Argon and the Son of S.A.M. We're heading out to the park later to fly a bunch of rockets. Launch report later tonight...

PS, good thing I string tested them, they were both unstable w/o nose weight.

Originally posted by brianc
I still haven't decided what shape/size fins to attach, but they'll probably
wedge thru the wall between the MMTs.

Well, I finally got around to finishing this one...

The fins are 1/8" leftover scrap from my son's Big Daddy.
The blue and red trim is just Sharpie pens. I ended up with about
20 grams of clay in the NC to successfully pass a swing test.

First flight was supposed to be today, but we didn't make it out to
the field... :(

I like it, very cool looking. Different. Nice picture too.

Let us know how it flies. I flew mine again yesterday, have to say they both flew great.

Lugnut

"Parts is parts" is where it's at. I have have several sucessful birds whose design was mostly dictated by what was in the box...Not allways beat old parts, but parts that were available..Parts from old flown birds seems much cooler though...

Dynasoar- The dunsel reference was awesome.....

One of our local clubs collects crashed and
damaged rockets and parts (all contributions
welcome) and once a year has a junk yard building
session and fly off at the next club launch.
Always exciting. May have to recommend MicroMaxx
duration event this year, lots of BT5 size junk.

I just recently put together (out of the remains of a crashed Comanche-3 and some spare balsa) an upscale 24mm minimum diameter star dart. It is scheduled for an E9-8 flight at the next launch. The only thing i'm wondering is whether I should even bother looking for it or whether it should be a fly and forget flight. Rocksim predicts 3880 feet on the E9-8 at 493mph.

Back