Sprint Anti missile-missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyL

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen one of these built? It looks interesting and the real thing is unbeleiveable in flight. Just thinking it might be a cool build for L3. It might even be do able full size. Here is the link to it and another interesting missile from the cold war.
https://srmsc.org/cgi-bin/pds0010.cgi?B142004501x0

Sprintmissle.jpg

There was a kit available at one time....OOP

https://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/435/92/

spr1.jpg

Review of that kit here...it was low power:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_sdw_sprint_abm.shtml

Cone stabilized rockets are challenge...an L-3 size: significantly so...
That said, you might want to check into projects like these...
RG4SAT179.jpg

Last edited:
The one on the left is a DC-Y clipper upscale. If you have that picture you probably remember it's rather inglorious end.

I had the ShadowAero kit and traded it away as it was a real PITA to attempt the build. Rolling a cone out of Kevlar sheet was rather more work than I found to be fun.

Someday I would like to scratch build one.

There have been many built over the years. Somewhere in my stack of scale stuff I have an old memographed copy of a Zog-43 news letter with a 18mm motor model plan. Have been lucky enought to have seen several others built and flown over the years. I have it as part of a Nike-X project micro Scale Diorama in the works along with the Spartan it's Long range partner. It like several other projects are in the "to be done" pile....sooooo Many Rockets...Sooo little time.

when the old data comes back look up the Cone of Concern (it may have been spelled with K's), it was a really cool HPR cone rocket, don't think it was a L3 rocket but it was pretty cool.

These pics were taken in Cambridshire, England in April of 2005 at the EARS launch (East Anglican Rocetry Society) when I was there.

Member Ben Jarvis built the model.

Kone of Koncern.JPG

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen one of these built? It looks interesting and the real thing is unbeleiveable in flight. Just thinking it might be a cool build for L3. It might even be do able full size. Here is the link to it and another interesting missile from the cold war.
https://srmsc.org/cgi-bin/pds0010.cgi?B142004501x0

Built? No.

But I know someone who's designing one, with plans to fly a rather large scale version of it.

FWIW, that photo looks like it was taken at the Air Defense Artillery Museum at Fort Bliss, near El Paso, TX. It's a pretty cool museum.

-Kevin

Has anyone ever seen one of these built?

I built the first Shadow Composites kit of the Sprint in the UK, (Got that in writing from Dave Triano of Shadow :) ) It was early 2000 if I recall, it first flew July 2000 anyway.

The kit was mainly 2 paper shrouds, the inner was nomex paper and was a swine to roll into a cone. You than had to roll the printed outer to the same radius and glue it to the inner - the instructions were clear but it was still a pig to do! The later kits (see below) had a thinner nomex sheet which rolled a lot easier.

My Sprint survived 6 flights and had an amazing sound after launch, probably due to the fact that the motor was mounted so far up the inside of the rocket and the shroud augmented the 'roar'.

It burned out on the pad after sticking on the rod one frosty day, though I did re-order a new one which 9 years later is still in the box :blush:

It was a unique kit for it's time and a great model.

BB

Didn't see it...what happened?

We were on the back field and it went up, failed to arm the deployment, and came down behind the flight line right across from the house. Thankfully the crowd at MDRA understands the meaning of "heads up" and were well prepared to move safely out of the way. This was proof that even the best fliers have situations and that a well educated and properly behaving group of attendees at a launch are the single most important feature of a safe event.

Didn't see it...what happened?

We were on the back field and it went up, failed to arm the deployment, and came down behind the flight line right across from the house. Thankfully the crowd at MDRA understands the meaning of "heads up" and were well prepared to move safely out of the way. This was proof that even the best fliers have situations and that a well educated and properly behaving group of attendees at a launch are the single most important feature of a safe event.

FWIW, that photo looks like it was taken at the Air Defense Artillery Museum at Fort Bliss, near El Paso, TX. It's a pretty cool museum.

Yes it is the one at Ft. Bliss.

Back