$&(&*^#$^ spray primer !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I have 5 LPR ready for painting. The outside temps got just high enough to put on the first coat of primer, and my spray can won't spray. It is a brand new can, about a month old. It started spraying a little bit but kind of weak, then before I could get all 3 fins sprayed it ran out of pressure. This is the 2nd or 3rd can I have in the garage that is almost full but has no pressure to spray. I have a compressor and I know there are ways to repressurize these things so I have to look into that.

EDIT: Nevermind, you said it was a new can.

That is an odd problem...

For what it's worth, I spray in cold weather by using a small heater positioned under hanging LPR rockets to help them dry and keep them from freezing

This is Rustoleum 2X 249058 flat white primer
20066 18715

I cranked my compressor up to 100psi and using the "internet procedure" I got the can to spray again, but not real strong. I painted one small model then it stopped spraying and I couldn't get it to spray again. I took the can of gloss white I had that stopped spraying and using the same procedure was able to get it to start spraying again. I didn't test to see how long it would last.

This is Rustoleum 2X 249058 flat white primer
20066 18715

I cranked my compressor up to 100psi and using the "internet procedure" I got the can to spray again, but not real strong. I painted one small model then it stopped spraying and I couldn't get it to spray again. I took the can of gloss white I had that stopped spraying and using the same procedure was able to get it to start spraying again. I didn't test to see how long it would last.

Did you put the spray can in hot water for about 5 minutes before you started spraying? I have yet to have an issue spraying Rustoleum using this technique.

What was the temperature in the garage where it was stored? I keep mine stored indoors, then take outdoors to spray. Rustoleum nozzles still get clogged regularly, but I don't recall ever having a pressure problem.

You should really bring all your paints indoors before winter but you could try warming the paint in warm (not hot) water for about 10 mins.

That will help the cold thick paint to flow and build pressure in the can. Unfortunately, if the paint has ever frozen, it might be too late to save it

Also just because it's a new can doesn't mean someone hasn't checked the color on the store shelves.

The weather here for the past 6 weeks hasn't been good for painting and I've been busy with work and house projects. We have better weather for a couple of days so I gave in and bought a new can of primer today, Rustoleum automotive primer this time. I'll report on how it works out.

I had a slightly different issue with a can of Krylon gray primer recently (not the gray filler primer). My paints are storied in my hobby shed which is only heated when I'm going to be working in it (yes, I know it's not ideal but dealing with cold paint is easier than dealing with the wife's cold stare).😠 I had just finished up a partial can and opened a new one. They were warmed up and shaken well (I have a drill powered paint can shaker). When I started to spray the paint came out in a stream. I swapped nozzels with the can I had just finished, and it was some better but still not spraying a fan pattern (like it was low on pressure). I put it back in the shaker upside down and warmed it up again by a heater, and then gave it another good shaking. Worked perfect this time.

I use Rustoleum automotive grey primer & Rustoleum 2X glossy paint. No issues with clogging or bubbling (yet). I keep the cans indoors before and after they’re used, so they never really get cold.

Here in the Washington DC area we’ve had relatively good weather this year. I only spray outside when the weather is nice. After spraying I bring the rockets inside and let them dry in my basement which is cool but relatively dry.

I don’t have a lot of time on my hands to spend on hobbies like rocketry, so the rockets typically sit in my basement for a few days before I can get to applying another coat of primer or paint.

The more I read about issues like this the more I think I’ll just stick to what I’ve been doing.

I use Rustoleum automotive grey primer & Rustoleum 2X paint. No issues with clogging (yet). I keep the cans indoors before and after they’re used, so they never really get cold.

Here in the Washington DC area we’ve had relatively good weather this year. I only spray outside when the weather is nice. After spraying I bring the rockets inside and let them dry in my basement which is cool but relatively dry.

The more I read about issues like this the more I think I’ll just stick to what I’ve been doing.

you should go to an Advance or AutoZone store that carries SEM cans of paint. which they have a high build primer that works great but it's around $25, but I think you get what you pay for in this case.

I’ve gotten so fed up with the poor quality filler primers that are regularly available that I switched to SEM a couple of years ago and never looked back. They have worked on every project I’ve tried with one exception. They reacted with the paint that was on Estes trajector nose cone that I used for my falcon commander upscale.

If you buy them online in case qty you can get them for around $19 a can delivered. Yes they are twice the price of other brands but you really do get what you pay for. SEM is cured in just a couple of hours, it fills deep scratches and spirals and you use half as much. Best of all you don’t have all of the issues that you have with lesser brands.

Back when I used Rustoleum, I would need to do three or four heavy coats, wait days between coat then use a ton of sand paper as it clogged the paper.

SEM is worth the price and if you do a lot of builds, you will come out ahead

I have also experienced spray cans that came from the store with near zero pressure. I use 2K primers in a detail gun for the win. I've just had too many irregularities with rattle cans over the years, excepting Tamiya and Mr. Color. Rusto and other big-box brands are near the bottom end of everything - very slow and inconsistent drying times, clogs the sandpaper, batch-to-batch variations, and sometimes the primer just stays rubbery and impossible to sand forever.

The 2-part primers cost more but give 100% predictable drying times of 30 mins to a few hours depending on the type, and you've got a pressure gauge. SEM is definitely a decent option if you don't want to invest in the whole spray rig. A fair number of people seem to like Duplicolor lacquer paints, but I haven't used their primers. Anything that cures by solvent evaporation exposes you to all the effects of temperature and humidity much more than a chemically curing 2k paint.

Last edited:
Been using Rustoleum Automotive filler primer with varying paint and have never had a problem. Used it with 2X paints before I gave up on them. Used it wih Duplicolor exact match paints. Use it with Tamiya lacquer paint and Krylon Acryli-Quik lacquers now.

Oh, I store all my cans of spray paint inside also

-Bob

I bought a new can of automotive gray primer for Lowes. A couple of weeks ago the weather and my multiple jobs aligned where I could put a coat of primer on each rocket and a coat of color on some. Today the wheel of chance lined up again and I tried more color. My yellow worked, my orange worked, my new can of black didn't work. I had an older can of black on the shelf, it felt almost full, it wouldn't work either. It appears to me that there is not enough pressure in the can to get the paint out. I cleaned the nozzles in acetone and that didn't help. I tried other nozzles and that didn't help.
It's frustrating to spend money on the paint and it not work, I could spend that money to buy motors! I'm thinking I should stop buying any more Rustoleum for rockets. I don't think Krylon is any better so I'm not going to buy that either. I'm thinking about getting a little spray gun and trying some acrylic.

The money wasted could have gone towards a good touch up gun and compressor. When we moved into this house 17 years ago I built a pint booth in the unfinished basement. My paint work improved ten fold over painting in the old garage. No more picking out bugs in the morning after paint had dried. Keep your gun clean and it always works.

[snip]17 years ago I built a pint booth in the unfinished basement. My paint work improved ten fold [/snip]
I would think your paint work would have gone down 10 fold if you built your own pint booth. :)

I really like the work you've posted of your rockets and RC aircraft. A great standard for sure.

Sandy.

The money wasted could have gone towards a good touch up gun and compressor. When we moved into this house 17 years ago I built a pint booth in the unfinished basement. My paint work improved ten fold over painting in the old garage. No more picking out bugs in the morning after paint had dried. Keep your gun clean and it always works.
I already have a compressor, I just need a spray gun. One advantage of spraying acrylic is I can do it in the garage and not have to deal with the fumes.

Back