spray paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
I will never use any paint other than krylon anymore! I painted my der red max clones nosecone gloss black with odds 'n' ends plasti-kote spray paint, and after drying for two weeks the nose cone still feels tacky and leaves fingerprints! Krylon paint seems to dry overnight just fine. I thought i'd save a couple of bucks-bad idea. Nothing but high quality krylon touches my birds from now on.

Keep one thing in mind,

I have found (thru bitter experience) that the solvent in Krylon attacks durn near everything. Be real careful when overcoating other finishes, regardless of how long they have dried. That is, unless you like a wrinkled finish!

Al

I use three kinds of spray paint. 1. Krylon 2. Plasti Kote automotive laquer. And 3. Duplicolor automotive laquer. Krylon, for general use is the best I've found. The other two, which I get at local auto parts stores, are great for those flashy finishes (lots of colors and metallics), dry very fast, and are forgiving in less than ideal painting conditions. What ever you decide to use, stick with the same brand/type from primer to finish. If you really have to mix brands, test the combination on scraps first. Also, EMRR has a good chart of paint compatability at www.rocketreviews.com

On a couple of my first rockets I tried the 99 cent WalMart rattlecans. :eek: All those saved me was a buck and a quarter. Krylon rings up at $2.30 a can and is wonderful to work with.

I have always used Testors spray enamel, should I be switching to Krylon? Seems that is what a lot of you prefer. Is there a big difference? Like, does it go on better, etc? Also, I don't recall seeing Krylon in the hobby shop, where would one buy this?

Glenn

Originally posted by graylensman
On a couple of my first rockets I tried the 99 cent WalMart rattlecans. :eek: All those saved me was a buck and a quarter. Krylon rings up at $2.30 a can and is wonderful to work with.

I personally am a big fan of Walmart Paint. CLICK HERE,

however, Krylon is very nice to work with.

Also, don't mix your Walmart Paint with Krylon!

Regards,
Nick

Originally posted by GlennW
I have always used Testors spray enamel, should I be switching to Krylon? Seems that is what a lot of you prefer. Is there a big difference? Like, does it go on better, etc? Also, I don't recall seeing Krylon in the hobby shop, where would one buy this?

Glenn

If you can paint with Testors cans with success, you are a hero in my book. If you do switch to Krylon, I think you'll notice that it doesn't tend to run as much. Also, drying times tend to be shorter I think with Krylon.
I think it would be cool if Krylon had all of Testor's colors.:D

Am I the only one here who likes Rustoleum?

I used to use Krylon only, but after using Rustoleum on my V-2 I was extremely impressed, and their metallics are great too for those retro 50's style "rocketships".

The only drawback is the primer, which is incompatible with plastics.

Originally posted by GlennW
Also, I don't recall seeing Krylon in the hobby shop, where would one buy this?

Since Krylon isn't a hobby paint, but a general-purpose quick-drying spray paint, you'll find it at hardware stores and discount stores (such as Wal-Mart).

Originally posted by vjp

You might be, other than the fact that I love their "hammered look" paint.

Nick

Originally posted by vjp

In general use (i.e., beyond model rocketry), I'd prefer Rustoleum over Krylon in a heartbeat. Krylon's formulated to dry faster than Rustoleum (recall their old tagline: "No runs, no drips, no errors"?), but, from what I've been told, this means that Krylon tends to give a less-durable finish.

Now, for model rocketry applications, this isn't a particularly relevant benefit, given that most model rockets will suffer a catastrophic fate long before time and exposure to the elements lead to degradation of the finish. :D

So, to sum up: Krylon for your rockets, Rustoleum for your patio furniture.

I love some of the Testors colors - the green metallic is one of my favorites. the problem i have found is that the Testors takes forever to dry and never really hardens like the Krylon or Rustoleum brands.
One of the best paints, great price and can be re-coated anytime
is F&F from Mills Fleet Farm here in the midwest.

now i can hear everyone going Fleet Farm? there is probably a Farm and Fleet, Fleet supply or some other large farm clothes and equipment store nearby unless you live in the big city.

like Micromister stated a paint that can be re-coat anytime is great paint.
think about this - if you were a farmer and needed to quickly paint a tractor, combine, heck the ol' pickup truck or some other outdoor machinery to keep it from rusting are you going to buy that shtuff that takes an hour to dry and costs 3$ a can?
That you can't re-coat for a day or two unless you want it to crack and fall off? of course not, you want to put 2 or 3 coats on within and hour or whenever you feel like it and off you go.

For model rockets, I prefer Krylon over any of the other brands I've tried. None of the other brands seem to dry as fast, go on as smooth, or recoat as easily. I always use clear acrylic (Future Floor Wax) as a topcoat for decals and Krylon. For primers, I prefer Varsity Brand Sandable white primer (Pep Boys occasionally has it on sale for $1.00 a can) since it dry sands easily.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I just got done (my hands still smell of paint thinner) spraying my Tres with some Krylon Fusion paint, and all I can say is "WOW!!!" Two coats, 10 minutes apart, and the thing is done! It's almost completely dry already (at T+15 minutes and counting), and it's got a nice wet-looking finish.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
I just got done (my hands still smell of paint thinner) spraying my Tres with some Krylon Fusion paint, and all I can say is "WOW!!!" Two coats, 10 minutes apart, and the thing is done! It's almost completely dry already (at T+15 minutes and counting), and it's got a nice wet-looking finish.

WW

I thought Fusion was for plastic. :confused:

Back