Spray Paint Stencil

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As always, if you want sharp edges, seal the tape/stencil. To do this, spray a light coat of the base color after the stencil/tape is applied. This will seal the edges and prevent the contrast color from bleeding under them.
Micromeister used to advocate using clearcoat for the "sealer coat", rather than pigmented base, to minimize paint dams. Did you ever compare the two variations of this technique?

As the good doctor states, frisket is good, but in my experience doesn't form well to the curves of a tube. I have used both that and Cricut's stencil vinyl to create all my stencils. I lean towards the Cricut version if I'm doing more complex shapes as it just tends to stick better.

That said if you have the design, I can cut it for you. I'd just ask that you cover materials and shipping.

This is 3 different stencils from Cricut's stencil vinyl.
PXL_20210605_235823417.jpg

Micromeister used to advocate using clearcoat for the "sealer coat", rather than pigmented base, to minimize paint dams. Did you ever compare the two variations of this technique?
No, I haven't compared the two. I keep the sealer coat light.

Reverse stencils are a nice trick if you can find alphabet stickers with a font and size you like.

finish and primer your rocket. Finish prime with white if the LETTER color you want is a light color, like yellow or light green.

paint the rocket (or at least the area where the letter to the FINAL LETTERS will be) the LETTER color.

allow to dry thoroughly.

put your name in alphabet stickers in place. Burnish them down firmly, I put a sheet of wax paper over it and rub it down with a hotel key card.

put ANOTHER coat of your LETTER color over it to temporarily seal it.

now put your final OUTER color over it. Again allow to dry firmly.

now use a knife blade to lift an edge from each letter and carefully remove it, revealing the underlying color.

BDD4BC9F-CBE1-420B-BE15-D9FBEBCE2637.jpeg

Back