Spray Mask

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a spray mask, although I haven't painted many rockets in the last few years and when I do I paint outside and with the wind at my back if there is any, but I thought getting a mask is a good all around investment. The problem is I don't know much about mask and the proper filters and do I need cartridges? Picture in the link is the mask I'm thinking about getting w/ the included P100 filters.

https://www.protectly.co/products/3...p100-filter-cartridges?variant=36146027692200

but I also noticed you can buy these as well.

https://www.protectly.co/products/3m-60921-organic-vapor-p100-cartridges

So here are my questions.

• Most importantly are the P100 filters the correct ones to purchase for spray painting?
  • Are the cartridges in the second link necessary and what is the difference between using them? Does one work better than the other?
  • Lastly how do I know what size to get? I would assume I need a large because I'm 6'4" and I don't think my head is that small? LOL
If I get the wrong size I'll be putting it up for sale here.

Lastly I'm open to recommendations. If there's a mask that you think would work better and you actually have owned one that's awesome. I like to hear your feedback on it. It just makes buying something that much easier if you get a reference from someone.

Thanks guys I sincerely appreciate it!!

Last edited:
I bought this one a few years ago because I wanted to melt lead for fun (and make custom-sized weights for a non-rocket project).
81zQFWajYNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Extra cartridges are for replacing the ones included when you think the first ones aren't effective any more, because they're only good for a certain number of hours, depending on how close you stand to the source. The packaging for these P100 say they're ok for lead and asbestos.

Beyond that, I have to refer you to you someone else. I suspect P95 are easier to breath in than P100, so your choice may depend on how long your paint sessions last and how often you paint. In any case, keep doing it outdoors with your back in the wind because you can still smell the stuff through these if you're too close.

Maybe this can help:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/respira...-respiratory-protection/respirator-selection/
Also:

Attachments

• Cartridge Selection Poster-EnglishLINKS.pdf
    963.9 KB · Views: 0
A P100 is a particle only filter...so dust and fumes (welding has fumes more than vapor), for painting its not the dust that is your enemy its the solvents as such a Organic Vapor OV filter is required, but unlike Pxxx filters OV filters have a finite life and due to their absorption of airborne contaminants are usually good for a single use/day depending on concentration of chemicals. If you can smell solvents through the OV filter then you are already in danger as some chemicals are not detectable to the human sense of smell until they are well above a danger threshold. I use new OV filters each time I paint and use them no more than 6 hours without changeout, due to the fact I have no way of know what chemical concentrations I am working with (atcwork we have industrial hygiene techs whos job it is to use instruments to real time monitor concentrations). P95 or P100 filters do have useable lives but do to the type of filtration they do the changeout is typically once difficult to draw air through or damage/wet.

I bought this one a few years ago because I wanted to melt lead for fun (and make custom-sized weights for a non-rocket project).
View attachment 472649
Extra cartridges are for replacing the ones included when you think the first ones aren't effective any more, because they're only good for a certain number of hours, depending on how close you stand to the source. The packaging for these P100 say they're ok for lead and asbestos.

Beyond that, I have to refer you to you someone else. I suspect P95 are easier to breath in than P100, so your choice may depend on how long your paint sessions last and how often you paint. In any case, keep doing it outdoors with your back in the wind because you can still smell the stuff through these if you're too close.

Maybe this can help:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/respira...-respiratory-protection/respirator-selection/
Also:
That looks like a great article. I will read it later when time permits. Thanks for all the info.

Back