Quantcast

Sport rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tmazanec1

Reaction score
What is a "sport" rocket (as opposed to a model rocket which is not a sport rocket)?

Exactimator

Reaction score
High power rockets can be classified a few different ways: sport, scale, and oddrocs (and others depending on the kit suppliers).

Sport are usually basic 3FNC or 4FNC rockets.

Scale looks like actual rockets or missiles (Phoenix, AMRAAM, Honest John, Nike Smoke, Saturn V)

Oddrocs are spools, pyramids, saucers. Things that don't look much like rockets but still fly on a rocket motor.

Off the top of my head, Public Missiles Limited (PML)'s website would be a good place to look. Their rocket kits are categorized into sport and scale. Madcow also lets you sort by type of rocket, and sport and scale are a couple of the categories.

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/rocket-kits/

https://publicmissiles.com/secure/

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
From EMRR with some editing:

A rocketry built and flown as a pastime, diversion, or for personal enjoyment. The term is often used as a contrast to "competition rocketry."

I have also heard it used as a general term to describe all the rocketry we do as opposed to "professional".

edit: in the post above makes a good distinction between various types of rockets.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
High power rockets can be classified a few different ways: sport, scale, and oddrocs (and others depending on the kit suppliers).

Sport are usually basic 3FNC or 4FNC rockets.

Scale looks like actual rockets or missiles (Phoenix, AMRAAM, Honest John, Nike Smoke, Saturn V)

Oddrocs are spools, pyramids, saucers. Things that don't look much like rockets but still fly on a rocket motor.

Off the top of my head, Public Missiles Limited (PML)'s website would be a good place to look. Their rocket kits are categorized into sport and scale. Madcow also lets you sort by type of rocket, and sport and scale are a couple of the categories.

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/rocket-kits/

https://publicmissiles.com/secure/

I would also add fantasy/scifi - these rockets look like a rocket but are more complex than a basic 3FNC but are not scale based on an existing real rocket. See how The Squirrel Works differentiates between the two

http://www.squirrel-works.com/signature.html

Also Boost Glider rockets that may launch at a angle and then glide down

tab28682

Reaction score
As others are saying, if a rocket is not scale/semi scale, competition, an oddroc, a boost or rocket glider, a science fiction/fantasy rocket, it is a sport rocket.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Gee's!
All of our LPR, MPR & HPR rockets that are NOT flown in Sanctioned competition regardless of sub-type (ie: Scale, Odd-Roc, PMC, BG, RG or Helicopter) are by their very existance Sport Flying Rockets. or Sport Rocketry.
While we use many of the same methods, formulas, and math the professionals use...they ARE NOT professional rockets - We Are Non-Professional HOBBIEST.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I still say in some useage ALL our rockets are sport rockets. If they weren't there would have to be two NAR magazines.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
We use the phrase "Sport Rocketry" to describe our hobby and "Sport" as a default category for rockets that don't fall into one of the other categories by style (such as "Odd Rocket," "Scale," etc.)

Originally, I would guess, our rockets were divided into just "Scale" and "Sport" (non-scale) before other styles were added.

Both uses are based on the somewhat archaic use of "sport" as a synonym for "recreation."

-- Roger

Exactimator

Reaction score
Just noticed this yesterday: If you're shopping Widman, their sport rockets are the smaller 54 mm fiberglass versions of the fleet.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowProducts.aspx?Class=463&Sub=1193

"Our Sport line is a great introduction to fiberglass, especially for those with small fields. Flies to under 400 feet on an E motor, but sturdy enough for an H and higher altitudes on bigger fields."

So a sport rocket is different depending on who you're talking to and whose kits you're buying.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Yeah, hard to define but all old farts understand. :)

tab28682

Reaction score
Gee's!
All of our LPR, MPR & HPR rockets that are NOT flown in Sanctioned competition regardless of sub-type (ie: Scale, Odd-Roc, PMC, BG, RG or Helicopter) are by their very existance Sport Flying Rockets. or Sport Rocketry.
While we use many of the same methods, formulas, and math the professionals use...they ARE NOT professional rockets - We Are Non-Professional HOBBIEST.
I think it is well worth slicing that general definition into the multiple narrower categories that have been mentioned in the thread.

The hobby is sport rocketry, but many of our models flown for sport can be much better described by other terms. And anything not covered by those more specific terms is, by default, a sport rocket.

Last edited:

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score

scsager

Slightly burned-out old guy
Reaction score
What is a "sport" rocket (as opposed to a model rocket which is not a sport rocket)?
I don't think there is a clear definition for "Sport Rocket".

The NAR holds an Annual Launch (NSL) the National Sport Launch, and they have a separate set of "Sport" launch pads at NARAM for people launching rockets outside of the official competition.

Sport Rocketry is the name of a magazine.

2016-11-12 11.59.32.jpg

I personally would define a "Sport Rocket" by what it is NOT.
A Sport Rocket is a Rocket that is not funded by any commercial, military, or government agency.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
My point entirely, but with more words so it is clearer.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
We use the phrase "Sport Rocketry" to describe our hobby and "Sport" as a default category for rockets that don't fall into one of the other categories by style (such as "Odd Rocket," "Scale," etc.)

Originally, I would guess, our rockets were divided into just "Scale" and "Sport" (non-scale) before other styles were added.

Both uses are based on the somewhat archaic use of "sport" as a synonym for "recreation."
As others have noted, "sport" is also used to differentiate non-contest from contest rocketry as in the National "Sport" Launch versus NARAM.

-- Roger

Latest posts