Sport Rocketry NARAM 54 issue and vendors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Nov/Dec issue of Sport Rocketry just arrived with extensive coverage of events, sponsors and the OH so important vendor support!

Special thanks (per Sport Rocketry) to this years contest sponsors: Aerospace Industries, Association Michigan Section, eRockets (2), Estes Industries (2) and Red River Rocketry!

Also, special thanks (per Sport Rocketry) for the comprehensive coverage of the following vendors who attended and supported NARAM 54: ___________

(Note: I haven't had the chance to check the NARAM web site to see if that is a complete list, but those are the vendors covered in this issue of Sport Rocketry.

Bewildering, isn't it?

Yes, I noticed that too.

I'm beginning to rethink my NARAM plans.

I'm sorry you didn't get the proper credit. This looks to me like a placeholder in the text which was not properly corrected prior to submission. I'll ask the editor to write an addenda in the next issue.

For those who want the spoiler, this page contains a list of vendors.

Kevin

The September/October 2012 issue of Sport Rocketry carried information about NARAM-54 vendor information under 'Rocket News & New Products', pages 52-53.

The Nov/Dec issue of Sport Rocketry just arrived with extensive coverage of events, sponsors and the OH so important vendor support!

Special thanks (per Sport Rocketry) to this years contest sponsors: Aerospace Industries, Association Michigan Section, eRockets (2), Estes Industries (2) and Red River Rocketry!

Also, special thanks (per Sport Rocketry) for the comprehensive coverage of the following vendors who attended and supported NARAM 54: ___________

(Note: I haven't had the chance to check the NARAM web site to see if that is a complete list, but those are the vendors covered in this issue of Sport Rocketry.

Bewildering, isn't it?

This has been a problem for us since we started making kits. More often than not, our contributions to the national events went uncredited in the magazine. Having discussed it with some in positions of responsibility, some don't seem to realize that the donations are a form of advertisement for us, others don't seem to care.

Bewildering, isn't it?

Jim! You should try to support the hobby more and at least ACT like you give a rat's butt about it. THEN maybe you will be recognized as a true advocate and sponsor. :rolleyes:

This has been a problem for us since we started making kits. More often than not, our contributions to the national events went uncredited in the magazine. Having discussed it with some in positions of responsibility, some don't seem to realize that the donations are a form of advertisement for us, others don't seem to care.

I think the problem is that there's nothing telling the event organizers that they're supposed to do that. The NAR National Events Handbook has only one line that I can find that mentions a magazine article and it says that the article has to be submitted withing 60 days but doesn't give specifics. It should be common sense to recognize the vendors but evidently it isn't.

Rather than just talking to officials individually, I suggest you get it on the agenda for the next Board meeting. They'll have to take some kind of action on it and put it the the minutes of the meeting.

Talking to the editor of said Handbook, and coming up with specific, proposed changes to the wording in the handbook would be good, as well. That way, it's a lot easier for the Board to take action on, and it'll likely expedite the process.

Acknowledging the vendors is a good thing.

-Kevin

I've had this conversation with NAR officers and the folks at Sport Rocketry for several years now, to no avail. That is why I felt compelled to talk about it publicly.

It IS a frustration. Vendors spend a lot of time and money preparing for these events, then we spend a lot of time and money attending these events and, more often than not, spend a lot of time and money recovering from these events, only to find that it's time to prepare for the next event.

Now, I'm not complaining about THAT, as we CHOOSE to do all that work. The complaint comes from all the interest the NAR expresses to GET us there and then we get little to no coverage in the nation magazine. And, to dispel any rumors, vendors do NOT attend these events to get rich.... It's rare to break even. We attend to support the hobby, the attendees and the national organization.

From a business point of view, attending such events amounts to a marketing investment. Interesting that I could spend a few hundreds dollars and get one half of a page do Sport Rocketry to promote my product or spend thousands to attend/support a national event and get little or nothing in the way of a return on that investment.

I guess I've dropped to the point of ranting, so I'll stop... Bottom line? I wish they (the NAR) would stop telling me how important our support is, and SHOW us instead...

I've had this conversation with NAR officers and the folks at Sport Rocketry for several years now, to no avail. That is why I felt compelled to talk about it publicly.

<snip>

I wish they (the NAR) would stop telling me how important our support is, and SHOW us instead...

I have to echo Jim's sentiments here. The last time I talked about this subject with a BOT member, he suggested that NAR didn't need our support and we could stop.

I think the problem is that there's nothing telling the event organizers that they're supposed to do that. The NAR National Events Handbook has only one line that I can find that mentions a magazine article and it says that the article has to be submitted withing 60 days but doesn't give specifics. It should be common sense to recognize the vendors but evidently it isn't.

I've had specific agreements with event organizers like in exchange for being the sole sponsor of an event we would get credit in the article only to have that credit left out.

Rather than just talking to officials individually, I suggest you get it on the agenda for the next Board meeting. They'll have to take some kind of action on it and put it the the minutes of the meeting.

I'll let someone else do that. I already know where my efforts would lead.

I have to echo Jim's sentiments here. The last time I talked about this subject with a BOT member, he suggested that NAR didn't need our support and we could stop.

I can only conclude that her or she was a total horse's ass.

I'll let someone else do that. I already know where my efforts would lead.

You guys write what you think the policy should be and the reasons and I'll submit it. Just post it here and I'll assemble it. It may be a waste of time but there's no way to find out without actually trying.

Last edited:
Tom Beach says it best in the Editor's space about the sport range "Unfortunately, I did not get an article about the sport range flying..."

Which indicates they only print what they get.

Can you recruit someone to
write a vendor sidebar for sport rocketry?

Tom Beach says it best in the Editor's space about the sport range "Unfortunately, I did not get an article about the sport range flying..."

Can you recruit someone to
write a vendor sidebar for sport rocketry?

Really? Sport Rocketry is, for at least 3 issues, formulaic. Three of the six issues are pretty much a given: NARCON, NSL, and NARAM. So it's not out of line to think those three issues would be pretty much set as to the checklist for content. And one of those points in the checklist would be, "Who were the vendors?" And another would be "Who were the sponsors?"

We don't need a reporter for that. Why heck, a simple message or two on TRF would garner 90% of the information!

JMO
Jeff

It is so easy to sit back and demand others do a task. As a former editor of a newsletter, I know it stinks to have to produce content and still make deadlines.

If its so easy, do it, in the format they need and send it in, so they can properly credit it.

Really? Sport Rocketry is, for at least 3 issues, formulaic. Three of the six issues are pretty much a given: NARCON, NSL, and NARAM. So it's not out of line to think those three issues would be pretty much set as to the checklist for content. And one of those points in the checklist would be, "Who were the vendors?" And another would be "Who were the sponsors?"

My experience has been that Tom does a good job of reminding event organizers that they need to provide an article. The problem is there's nothing to tell them what's supposed to be in the article. It seems to be that it's a problem that could be easily solved by adding a sentence or two to the National Events Handbook.

We don't need a reporter for that. Why heck, a simple message or two on TRF would garner 90% of the information!

That's exactly what you need a reporter for. Raw information is of little value to an editor. He needs a complete article.

The interesting thing to me is that after NARAM in Cincinnati, I was considering writing an article for Sport Rocketry but was told that they already had enough to fill the NARAM issue so what I wrote might not ever see print. After NARAM Muskegon I just assumed that the same would be true so I didn't bother. See what happens when you assume? Since I spent the entire week on the Sport Range and sitting in an easy-up on Vendor's row, writing an article for either would have been easy-peasey... if I had known in advance. Perhaps a checklist of some sort should be in place before each event to insure that someone is writing, or at least has been asked to write. I want to be clear, that I am in no way being critical of Tom Beach, he works his tail off to do what he does. I'm just thinking of a sort of checklist for the NARAM organizers (not that they need more to do either, but hey, somebody needs to be in charge) of what writing needs to be accomplished.

It was my first NARAM. It was quite a disappointment that there was little on the sport range weekend activity, as that's all the activity in which I could afford to partake. Then again, the world will never know of the mayhem caused by a certain coyote mascot and his owner. Or when the entire mid-power array launched simultaneously. So my secret is safe, unless Jim Flis has more photos. At least I can say that I witnessed the cover story as it happened and the experience is protable.

The interesting thing to me is that after NARAM in Cincinnati, I was considering writing an article for Sport Rocketry but was told that they already had enough to fill the NARAM issue so what I wrote might not ever see print. After NARAM Muskegon I just assumed that the same would be true so I didn't bother. See what happens when you assume? Since I spent the entire week on the Sport Range and sitting in an easy-up on Vendor's row, writing an article for either would have been easy-peasey... if I had known in advance. Perhaps a checklist of some sort should be in place before each event to insure that someone is writing, or at least has been asked to write. I want to be clear, that I am in no way being critical of Tom Beach, he works his tail off to do what he does. I'm just thinking of a sort of checklist for the NARAM organizers (not that they need more to do either, but hey, somebody needs to be in charge) of what writing needs to be accomplished.

I don't know who told you that but I know that Tom Beach is ALWAYS asking for NARAM articles. During either the Contestant's Briefing or the NAR Town Hall meeting at NARAMs Tom will stand up before the audience and ask for volunteers to write coverage articles. He will name off events and ask for authors to cover the various events. If an event does not get coverage in the magazine it was due to no one volunteering to write the article, the article was not submitted by the deadline or the author backed out after agreeing to write about an event.

I have authored articles for American Spacemodeling/Sport Rocketry, Hight Power Rocketry and Launch magazines. With the exception of Launch magazine, editors are always asking for material to fill their magazines.

Write it and they will read it. :wink:

Back