spool rocket build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some serious hardware. I assume it's for a shock cord / parachute anchor, why so big?

With that kind of design, I don't think you have to worry too much about heavy hardware affecting the performance. ;)

Hey, you know what? This is pretty much just a big flying motor mount! :fly:

With that kind of design, I don't think you have to worry too much about heavy hardware affecting the performance. ;)

Hey, you know what? This is pretty much just a big flying motor mount! :fly:

yep thats the plan. on a G69 it sims to over 5500 ft

Only if this is the motor I'm thinking of (AT 38mm 1-grain), it has no ejection charge.

Ari.

I love spools, large and small. I had a Radio Shack wire spool that flew on 18mm engines. Just tumble recovery; even "The Rock" (large asphalt parking lot we fly in) couldn't hurt it. Gave it away to the g-son of a club member. He flew it on an A'tech D21. It *teleported* off the pad! Love to see flight pics of yours!

Doubt it! A minimum diameter rocket alone would have a hard time getting that altitude. 550 feet I can believe.

Alex

Based on my small experience with one spool with 8" diameter plates, I would doubt 550 too. My advice would be to use electronics or the shortest delay possible on the motor! They not only fly like pigs but they slow fast after burnout. But they are fun!

Doubt it! A minimum diameter rocket alone would have a hard time getting that altitude. 550 feet I can believe.

Alex

Your right it is 550 I accidentally hit an extra zero and didn't catch it until you pointed it out.
Yea 5500 would be crazy.....

Thinking of building a 54mm spool rocket to fly my new CTI 3G hardware in. I'd love to put a J140 long burn in it. I was thinking 10" diameter and 18" long.

Thinking of building a 54mm spool rocket to fly my new CTI 3G hardware in. I'd love to put a J140 long burn in it. I was thinking 10" diameter and 18" long.

wow i totally forgot about this thread....soooo as an update I did finish it and flew it. here is a kinda bad video my dad took it made it about 20-30 ft in the air before it started to do spirals in the air....still really cool though I will make some adjustments during the winter and it will fly again probably at dairy aire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3f0_9W-SiE
and Whodunit13579 that sounds awsome and I would love to see a video if it ever happens.

What type of spool is that or did you make spool also? What is the spool portion made with?

It is a cat 5 cable spool I made the motor mounts out of wood the first time I flew it I broke the disks so I put a 2nd set on it from the spools I cut in half. It is two spools cut in half with a coupler in the center. It has gone up on an at-g76g not good :( then I started with cti long burn :) first was a g54red then a h54 wow that was cool then a g106sk too long on the delay but it pop at about 75 ft next I think I will try an I243

nice design!I would like to see a video of the I243 launch when it happens.

Pm me with ur email I have a video of a launch of an at-g76 but it was 1st or 2nd launch on the 5th we have a club launch I will get a video on a Cti-h54

I really like the design with the parachute. The Cool Spool from LOC would break even with a parachute.

I really like the design with the parachute. The Cool Spool from LOC would break even with a parachute.
Yea it's ok and a lot safer then other any spool out there loc's spool is not so cool :wink: but another guy in my club took what I did and made a spool like mine but with fiberglass bt and motor mount 38mm and the disks r made of honneycomb stuff ( what ever u call that lol) man that thing rips off the pad :flyingpig:I should get video on the 5th of a drag race I think I will loose but it's ok all in fun. Try and build one it is fun and easy if you need help just pm me or email me [email protected] just start by going to homedepot and look in the wire area or a cardboard tube and plywood any one that's wants to build one I will help you

Back