Spool recovery when using Warp9 motors (no ejection)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreuB1

Reaction score
It does what it says on the tin.

This 'should' go in the Oddrock section but I think there will be more traction here since this is a larger than normal spool.

I have built my first spool from an empty spool from work. Outfitted with a 38mm MMT, kevlar bridle, and a TFR thin mill x-form chute. I have some old reloads for the 38/120 'shotglass' RMS motor (G69N and G339N) which is what I planned to fly the spool on initially.

My question is, since these motors are Warp9 (no delay/eject).......how do I eject the chute?!?! I recall seeing some people literally wad up the chute and recovery gear on top of the spool in a pile and launch it just like that. Where the oncoming air keeps it flat against the top of the spool until it hits apogee and begins to tumble.

I think I also saw someone put a plastic bowl on the top of the spool with a hinge attached and the chute gets put under the bowl. Once the spool hits apogee and tumbles, the bowl is free to hinge up and the chute makes its way out.

Anyone else have any good ideas??

Spool is 12" dia x 13" long and weighs 2 lbs dry.

20220402_121746.jpg20220402_121759.jpg

I am a huge fan of warp-9. Love it!!! However you may want to reconsider using them on a spool. Spools are typically only stable during boost, while under thrust. 38 mm warp 9 burns for only 3/10ths of a second. Your spool will go unstable right at burnout..... just over the launch pad. Spools usually do much better with long burn motors. The end burner warp 9s would be your best choice if you are using warp 9.

I am a huge fan of warp-9. Love it!!! However you may want to reconsider using them on a spool. Spools are typically only stable during boost, while under thrust. 38 mm warp 9 burns for only 3/10ths of a second. Your spool will go unstable right at burnout..... just over the launch pad. Spools usually do much better with long burn motors. The end burner warp 9s would be your best choice if you are using warp 9.

Gooooood point! Nix the G339 (I'll find something to fly those on!!) and use the G69 instead. Thanks!!

I was gonna say chute release holding the chute in the middle of the spool. But if your soldering skills are decent, the Eggtimer apogee sounds like a good plan.

I was gonna say chute release holding the chute in the middle of the spool. But if your soldering skills are decent, the Eggtimer apogee sounds like a good plan.
Holding it to the outside of the spool is or top is what I am understanding you are saying JD? Simple yet should be effective as long as the chute doesnt get tangled in the spools as it deploys, ejection charges give some impetus away from the airframe, but a chute attached to the spool and using nothing other than air resistance might or might not work to deploy the chute.

Back