Sponge Bob cone rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobH48

Reaction score
My daughter had a birthday party a couple weeks ago and last night one of the party hats was sitting on the kitchen table.

I took one look and thought "I bet I can make a rocket out of that" :p

So here's what I came up with this afternoon. :D

Completed rocket.

spongebob_2.jpg

And a view of the recovery system. The motor tube has a piece of coupler that slips into a tube glued to the cone. The motor tube and centering ring eject and there is a shock cord holding it to the cone

spongebob_4.jpg

Originally posted by BobH48
And a view of the recovery system. The motor tube has a piece of coupler that slips into a tube glued to the cone. The motor tube and centering ring eject and there is a shock cord holding it to the cone

I was going to say submit the patter in Art Applewhite's contest, but I guess the lawyers would all perk up. Nice job, its a natural!

That is just too cool!
I will not show that to my kids. We'd have to get the party hats and then have a party and then have people over...
Way too much work! :D
But seriously neat idea. What's it going to fly on?

But seriously neat idea. What's it going to fly on?

It's going to have a lot of drag so I don't expect much altitude.

I was thinking that I would try it on B4-2's for the first time and then C6-3's after.

I expect that even with a C6-3 it's going to be a small field flyer for sure ;)

Edit: I have a couple extra party hats, so if this works out I might make a 24mm one to try with D12-3's :D

IMO, you should get a really big engine and send Spongebob far, far into space...

IMO, you should get a really big engine and send Spongebob far, far into space...

Pippen,

Sounds like you're a BIG Spongebob fan :p HAHAHA!!

The amount of drag is so great with one of these cones that I doubt there is an engine big enough to send Spongebob far, far into space. :D

My daughter had a birthday party a couple weeks ago and last night one of the party hats was sitting on the kitchen table.

I took one look and thought "I bet I can make a rocket out of that" :p

So here's what I came up with this afternoon. :D

Completed rocket.

Hang on to that design. It might be worth a kit. The Sponge Bob movie is in the making.

Oh no!!! Not Sponge Bob Square Pants. The MADNESS!!! I'm going crazy!!!

If you can't tell yet I really really detest him (it???)

Well, I took SpongeBob out and launched him this afternoon.

Three flights on B4-2's... I got 100' easily on this engine, maybe closer to 150'.

Lessons learned:

The cardstock motor tube and coupler is not rigid enough for this type of recovery system... the coupler was dented pretty good. I will make another using "real" body tube and coupler.

The party hat was made of thin cardboard so I added a double strip of cardstock at the bottom of the cone... worked great, the cone was plenty rigid.

Small field flyer does not mean tiny field flyer. :rolleyes:

Hi all, I am new to the Forum, but it looks good!

You may like to know that I have built and sucessfully flown a Sponge Bob Odd Roc (second time was 1 week ago).
Using a real sponge, balsa for pants, arms, legs, nose etc. it flies fine, and ejects a jellyfish prachute (Clear plastic with tentacles running down the shroud lines). Some balancing weight is required and it stand about 15 inches tall.

To see a picture in flight log onto https://rocketfire.co.uk then go to event reports/1 August and view the gallery.

If you have any problems with the above or want more information how to build the roc. please contact me and I will be happy to oblige.

John
ps. wife and young family are convinced i'm barmy.

Small field flyer does not mean tiny field flyer. :rolleyes:
What a pity. Pity that Baby Bop wasn't on board, that is. ;)

Seriously, I think it's great you're doing this for your kids. :)

Pippen

For Pippen, GL-P, and myself:
please build a 24mm version and I'll send you an old Estes E-15 to fly it on. ;) j/k

Actually, I think it's really cool. Might have to try that for my kids, except maybe with Shrek.

Tim

Actually, I think it's really cool. Might have to try that for my kids, except maybe with Shrek.

Sponge Bob would NOT have been my first choice.....BUT... the party hat was here and it had to be launched.

Shrek would have been cool though. ;)

That is just flat out cool! I'll have to try that!

Well, I forgot to update this thread on what finally happened to Spongebob. We were having some contruction work done in the yard and the backhoe must have knocked him out of the tree.

The bad news (or good news for Pippen, GL-P, and slim_t) is that I didn't realize he was out of the tree until after the area was covered with 700 yards of gravel.

Spongebob is now eating dirt.

Originally posted by powder burner
Are you building your own WalMart or something?

ROFLMAO :D :D

No, my wife is building a riding ring for her horses. Our property is on the side of a slight hill so we have to bring in fill if we want anything level.

I have bought more dirt that I ever care to think about.

DIRT CHEAP it isn't.

I have bought more dirt that I ever care to think about.

DIRT CHEAP it isn't.

As a member of the construction materials (aggregates) industry, I'd be willing to bet that you had this dirt delivered to you if you say this. Meaning, you paid someone to drive in with a dump truck (or two or three or more) and dump the dirt.

If so, about 90% of your bill was for the trucking - NOT the dirt. Dirt *is* cheap. Trucking is NOT.

Not that this nuance matters much - it still sucks to have to pay the bill.... :rolleyes:

If so, about 90% of your bill was for the trucking - NOT the dirt. Dirt *is* cheap. Trucking is NOT.

Yup,

The bill was mainly trucking.... about 45 truckloads.. not enough room to get a dump trailer in and turned around.

Bob,

Based on your experience with that hat, do you think some foam-core board might be better for the centering rings, along with the stiffer tubing you mentioned?

I'm hoping to work my way up to plastic automotive oil funnels for my cone rockets, but I'm starting with tiny party hats like yours.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
Bob,

Based on your experience with that hat, do you think some foam-core board might be better for the centering rings, along with the stiffer tubing you mentioned?

I'm hoping to work my way up to plastic automotive oil funnels for my cone rockets, but I'm starting with tiny party hats like yours.

WW

I'm sure foam-core board would be fine. It probably would be easier to cut than the matte board that I used.

I had rolled the motor tube and coupler from #65 cover stock which is pretty flimsy but it was a test rocket.

I'm sure commercial body tube or a double thickness of #110 cardstock would be fine. I had it set up so the ejection charge would blow the motor tube and centering ring off and that would be connected to the cone with a shock cord for recovery. That worked really well except for weak tube and coupler. :rolleyes:

lmao its scary when a bunch of adults are cheering on sponge bob,lol. Thats a neat looking rocket though wished i coulda seen it fly.

Back