Spiral tube and plywood filler for Monokote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timster68

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to ask because I haven’t found the answer yet.

I’m building a MDRM now and want to know if using Red Monokote is worth the time to cover the body tube and fins. If I go down this path, will I want/need to fill the fins (they are solid plywood without the balsa top layers) and fill
the spirals of the body tube?

I saw the thread on the 4” LOC Goblin, which is another one I would do the same finishing for. Can someone give me their experiences with using Monokote in rocketry?

Almost 50 years ago I tried red Monokote on a BT-50 tube, fins, and solid balsa glider wings. I have not done it since, but there may be some model where I wnat to do that. The waviness and imperfections of the body tube will be apparent after you apply the Monokote, so you might want to finish the tube first. Fins will still have the edge problems, even if it is just a Monokote lap joint. The glider wings turned out well but a little heavy, and I would still recommend an initial sealer coat on the bare balsa.

Easy to do the fins with no seams, showing. Start with a piece cut over size so that when you fold it over the LE it will cover the entire both sides. Iron down one side, fold over the edge on the TE and cut it at the opposite edge. Now iron down 2nd side the same way and cut your monokote on the TE so it over laps the first cut. This way the edge is sealed and the seam is on the bottom of the TE. Never put a seam on the LE, it will peel away in flight. I also like to turn my iron put as far as it will go. This helps the seal all edges as it just barely melts it.

Back