Spin recovery.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Space Cadet

Reaction score
I was planning on building something with multiple or severely canted fins anyway but, on Sundays club launch, someone had an Estes Hex 3 or something similar, and it just blew the ejection charge out the top.
So, I thought I might design something without a nosecone. Or, I could cut the tip of a nosecone.
Anyway, I might build something like this.Screenshot 2021-01-18 11.37.57.png

you could build it with a nose cone and have the ejection charge push an internal piston upwards, opening up the vent holes and allowing the jection charge gases to vent

you could build it with a nose cone and have the ejection charge push an internal piston upwards, opening up the vent holes and allowing the jection charge gases to vent
Or just leave vents open, like I was considering for my glider recovery rocket. I like the idea of the sliding vent covers. Maybe a coupler tube with some foam plugs glued in. I could make them look like windows or something.

Rocketarium makes a couple different sizes of these:

turbo_med.png

The 29mm on a G25 will turn many RPM's.

I started the build today.
I released the laser cut fins from the balsa sheet and formed a curve on the root, since the fins will be at an extreme angle.
Two things became obvious: getting all four fins at the same angle is going to be tricky, and the launch rod is going to have to pass through a fin.
I'll try and do a little bit every day and, hopefully, I'll have something in several days.

Back