Spill hole questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PXR5

Reaction score
I'm a full fledged BAR :)

I have a 2 acre field in front of my house and would like to launch some low power/altitude launches there to avoid driving somewhere all the time.

So do spill holes help or not in recovery?
I have read conflicting information.

Any other tips would be appreciated :)

Jeff

Spill holes increase the stability and reduce the drift at the cost of a higher landing velocity. For low power, a spill hole would likely help it recover faster and therefore drift less. Low power rockets typically do not have much mass associated with them so it is very unlikely that adding a spill hole would result in more damage to your rocket. I would say go for it and see the results.

A spill hole reduces oscillation which reduces tangling. Reefing the chute, taping the shroud lines together, temporarily reduces the parachute diameter. That will bring your rocket down quicker. Then have some super glue handy for a quick fin repair. :)

Streamers are often great for Low Power and small fields, particularly if the fins don’t extend past the base of the rocket. Rockets like High Flier and Star Trooper are better candidates for this than the Alpha or Yankee.

Saucers are also a great way to have fun in a small space

And you can build them yourself for next to nothing

https://www.artapplewhite.com/aksjdf/index.html

As BABAR stated Streamers work well for what your looking to do, IMO I think they bring the rocket down the straightest with the least amount drift. For small rockets caution tape works well, its cheap and you can get it in a multitude of bright colors. What I've done before is fold over the end a few times then fashion it into a point, then I take a 2 piece brass grommets and attract it at the point for a more secure and stronger connection point.

N0yr0cI.jpg

Thanks for all your responses :)

Fins that don't extend below the base of the rocket ;)

Streamers, forgot about those.

Super Glue, never go anywhere without it LOL

All good ideas untill we can bring 'em down like SpaceX ;)

Back