Spike Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysticalRockets

Reaction score
Ok, I'm doing a Polecat Spike for my L1. I got it as a door prize at NARCON. (Ok, I got the Bullpup too. But I like how the Spike looks)

I'm having a small issue, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I built the motor mount, and that was fine. So I decided to dry fit everything. The mount, fins, and the ring.

Here's the problem...

When I dry fit it all, the ring seems to be too large. It touches three of the fins, but there is almost a half inch gap between the fourth fin and the ring. This isn't a "fill it with epoxy" type of gap. Its big.

I really don't want to cut the ring. I'd rather not mess with its structural integrity. Any suggestions?

Bob

how does the ring touch 3 of 4? Maybe the fourth fin just incase it slid further into the body tube. I have never built this rocket before but I would just check that.

Matt

I am having a tough time following what you are talking about here. Is it possible to take a picture of the issue?

-Dave

Talked to Jack from Polecat. He's sending out a new ring.

Have to admit, he's fast. Had a reply in less than a half hour. I like that in a company.

I am having a tough time following what you are talking about here. Is it possible to take a picture of the issue?

-Dave

Can't take a pic. Camera not working right. Hope this helps.

8809666.jpeg

In the pic (from the instructions) all 4 fins touch the inside of the ring. In mine, the ring seems to be a little stretched or warped. It only touches 3. The 4th has a bit of a gap. Almost 1/2 of an inch gap.

Ohhh...You had an elliptical ring fin rather than a round one. Glad to hear Polecat got you taken care of.

-Dave

Back