Speedweiser, King of Speed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an awesome project you have going here. The wood work is great.

I see you have a Kaeser compressor; good choice. They make some awesome compressors.

A few things dear friend:

1. wonderful!

2. great job!

3. well done!

4. what the heck of a workshop! it's huge!

5. pretty clean cuts on those rings, they turned out great!

6. don't leave the print shop without the prints!

7. aahhh those canted tubes, I'd rather skip on them! the project will be already expensive to fly, are you really sure you want a 5 motor cluster with 4 K250???

8. you're flattering me!

Keep up the good work!!!

hey man, this is not flattering, i'm just sayng what must sayd!!! :):)
you're the craftsman!!!

thanks alot for all the compliments, i'm following your post and i'm impressed on how clean and good you work

everything in my workshop is covered with dust, i can't walk without crushing something ahahahah
the place is big but not organized as a workshop so the most of the space is wasted.. i need tables and scaffoldings and also equipment!(and someone who clean)

the place in the photos where i cut glass cloth is where i work(between the apartment and garages, eheheh just 10 steps to go to work)
that's a huge place!!!

the point 6 is not clear... what it really mean???

and the cluster is just to say, hey i can fly it with a cluster of 1 M and 4 K
i'm not thinking of flying it with this configuration so soon
maybe a couple of K with an L in the center, but mostly, it will fly with a single motor in the range of K or L

and for you FooBag

thanks, it costs me lot of time and money, buy you all, with this compliments give me the force to go ahead
yes this compressor works great!! my father buyed it 20 years ago!!!! never broken or had problems... rarely we clean filters, it just need a quick ceckup every thousand hours of work...

now i'm too tired to post new photos :rolleyes:

bye!!!

good morning TFR, today is another sunny day here in Italy, we're following mr. Typico in he's work... sorry Tyx, what do you want to say today to our friends

well, good morning,

i start with a funny note, yesterday i weighed a fin, it hung 1350gr, less than thought but i waste the thrust of four G80 in order to only push the fins ahahah
and they are not puttied and painted!!!

today we'll see also few photos of:

coupler section, it were modifyed to better work on wirings in future
canted motors, glued and reinforced
neck, laminated with new details

but let's take a look at this photos

this is a detail of lamination, the edges are all turned on the other edge, therefore, in order to make to remain the exceeding cloth in position, i have trimmed the layers of heavy cloth so that exceed just a little(2cm on the other side)
the upper light glass instead is longer, thus i can pull it better and also be surer that it remains in position while i add the other layers.

Foto0407.jpg

Foto0408.jpg

that's the layup, glass, carbon, glass and glass again

Foto0409.jpg

and now couplers....
once defined the position of electronics, and opened the relative hole, i have cut the center of that ring.
i have made all the necessary holes, and i have glued the two extremities

Foto0410.jpg

all fit nice

Foto0411.jpg

and the ebay cap in position

Foto0412.jpg

holes are for the pyro release, wirings(bigger hole) and the container for the "piston" of the release

i must drill a hole in the tube of the shoulder section to bring wires from ebay....

and also find a path for the cluster's wires

Foto0413.jpg

how much is shiny :cool:
to held the coupler in place i will add a stripe of carbon on each side

Foto0414.jpg

these are the tubes for the 4 long burn motors
since these tubes had a big opening, i have had to laminate various layers of glass in order to handle the push of the motors...
another point where there would be laminated it is in proximity of the bottom of the rocket, thus is assured to the structure in 3 strategic definable points

Foto0415.jpg

take a tan little bottle....
poor fin, within a plastic bag under the sun, i sweat for her :D

Foto0417.jpg

and the neck!!!

i have made approx laminating, i must rifinire the advanced edge with one jayer of 80gr... under part is completed.

Foto0419.jpg

a detail of the edge. this time l' i have made it dulled, is more realistic!!!

Foto0418.jpg

it's all from here, i give back the line, see you for the evening news :cool:

Getting closer!

The wood work fits perfect!

Are you pigmenting the epoxy as I DO?

welcome back!!

this is the last fin...

Foto0426.jpg

wich is been notched to fit centering rings

Foto0433.jpg

in this pic i'm gluing fins one by one.. to be sure fins are alligned with structure i used the Y-vision tool(ahahah just eye behind a straight finger)

the result is satisfying, measures tell me that there is a maximum difference of 2mm overall!!! cross shape is perfect
and from tip to tip there are 85.5cm!!!

Foto0434.jpg

the structure with fins glued on---
just remain to laminate fins together with tube to increase strenght of this part

Foto0442.jpg

inside the couplers i laminated a couple of stripes of carbon, this help to keep the pieces together in long term.. and also helps for lateral collision

this also increase the resistence of the inner bulkplate... this prevent the loss of any device screwed on

Foto0429.jpg

and the cap!!!!
i glued a piece of styrofoam over the "ring" and with calm and patience i sanded it to look like a cap(hope)

over the foam i laminated 4 ply of 160gr glass, this part must be very tought, it land on edge... and the weight can broke it.
the final weight of this part must be around 3-4kg

Foto0430.jpg

Foto0432.jpg

Foto0437.jpg

vaccum is crucial to keep details on the final piece!!!

Foto0440.jpg

Foto0441.jpg

eheheh, that maked me laugh... i been cutting the piece in small pieces to work better on that 2 rings when i saw a face.... ahahahah!!!!

Foto0443.jpg

those rings will form the closing of the "stopper"
two rings of different diameter will form the real cap, a ring instead, will accommodate the bolts that will allow to fix the cap... to the cap.... ahahahah
there are also the previews with the screws in place

Foto0444.jpg

Foto0445.jpg

Foto0446.jpg

Foto0447.jpg

Foto0448.jpg

ciaooooo!!!!

Getting closer!

The wood work fits perfect!

Are you pigmenting the epoxy as I DO?

:D:D yes, pigmented resin helps for the next sanding phase!!
and is also better when laminating... i can better see if any air bubble si remaining between layers

also grey colour is perfect for painting... even with light colours i don't need many paint to cover the background!!!

cool bottle!!! :cool::cool:

i have lots of questions for you!!!
-are the construction phase documented??
-did you encountered problems building it??
-what a great paint job, very specular, how you did it, just sanding for months or there is a trick??
-i see your fins are small, how could it be possible!! CG and CP are were???
-how many caliber of stability have your bottle??
-did you added alot of weight in the cap??

but i must also say.... DAMN!!!!:dark::dark:
i have sounded the net for months looking for other bottles without result, just once project has begun first time, i found a little bottle.. it flew with a F or G motor, so i did'nt care of it...

my next project is another upscale...
i hope this time no one has do it yet!!!!! obviously i can't say anything about it... ahahah :D:D

Thanks for the nice comments, I'll see if I can help you.

Sorry I didn't document it.
No real problems in building.
It used 8" sonatube for the lower half & stacked up foam donuts that I turned on a lathe for upper section.
Has a 3" cardboard tube up thru all the foam in upper section.
Fin can is removable so I can replace clear Lexan fins if needed.
I used 4 layers of panty hose & epoxy over the complete rocket. filled that with high build primer, than rattle can brown paint, a light coat of RC car pearl paint, rattle can clear.
The label is an upscale of my own for my Home Brew.
The rocket has about 1 1/2 pounds of weight in the nose.
Half caliber of sability.
Rocket is 33 1/8" tall, CP is 14.19" from top.

Mike

very well..

i think i'm in time for launch it in july

take a look :cool:

Foto0449.jpg

Foto0456.jpg

Foto0457.jpg

yesterday i laminated the fins in place...
before lamination i glued the fins in position with big fillets

this morning i tested the strenght of the whole stuff and i think it's ok

i'm also filling with styrofoam the portions that are not straight, next photos will explicate better...

and i cut the balsa rods.

bye!!!

Thanks for the nice comments, I'll see if I can help you.

Sorry I didn't document it.
No real problems in building.
It used 8" sonatube for the lower half & stacked up foam donuts that I turned on a lathe for upper section.
Has a 3" cardboard tube up thru all the foam in upper section.
Fin can is removable so I can replace clear Lexan fins if needed.
I used 4 layers of panty hose & epoxy over the complete rocket. filled that with high build primer, than rattle can brown paint, a light coat of RC car pearl paint, rattle can clear.
The label is an upscale of my own for my Home Brew.
The rocket has about 1 1/2 pounds of weight in the nose.
Half caliber of sability.
Rocket is 33 1/8" tall, CP is 14.19" from top.

Mike

:) ahahah, cool! i need to taste it!!

so your bottle is very light, i have 2.5caliber, i attached the Rsim jpg....
i use big motors and the weight is a consequence of resistence

and your CP is very near the top :eyepop: where is the CG??
maybe you would say CG instead of CP???
how it fly usually???

for the first version i used a lathe too... but myne was homemade, ahahah
here's the link of it

https://www.rocketryitalia.com/viewtopic.php?t=1793

and this show what camed out of it :)

https://www.rocketryitalia.com/viewtopic.php?t=1880&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

.....i fly to my workshop, bye!!!

SpeedWeisse.jpg

You two are absolutely amazing! I went through the g_boxwood thread last night with my son and we both were amazed at the craftsmanship involved. This one rates right up there with that.

Can hardly wait to see both rockets fly.

Sorry I had a typo, should have been CP 17.19" & CG 13" w/ J350W. The weight in the cap is adjustable for different size motors. It has a 54mm mount in case I want to fly it on K's, but a J350 puts it up to about 1900'. It has flowen 7 times & everyone has been dead straight, & COOL.
Mike

yesterday night work.... wether were very bad so i stayed at home working on it

the first 4 hours of fine sanding are gone, and with it a full can of automotive filler
cant tell the smell!!!

what else... in the afternoon i sanded the styro in the round parts

Foto0459.jpg

Foto0460.jpg

just gived it the shape, than i filled the little slice remained
today i'll sand all to right measure

Foto0462.jpg

this is the same work, but for thelower floor... you can also see the bottom filled with other styrofoam.. i will laminate it to close the spaces

Foto0465.jpg

Foto0466.jpg

then i took neasures for the 4 lateral panels
after a few thinking i decided to do this part in 4 separate panels
i hope the finish is good... i don't want to sand all the time!!!!!!!

i'll laminate the 4 panels before put it in place so i can use vaccum or any method to have specular surfaces!!

if at the end the result be like the neck it's a mess.... i then will need 6 cans of filler to fix it

to put all together i'll join the panels with 4 simple stripes of glass cloth

Foto0467.jpg

Foto0468.jpg

and now the big work
4 hours of: filler + sanding + filler + sanding etc etc....
and i'm still far from perfection
the weight is grown of 400gr, i can't understand why it's so irregular(maybe yes:D)

Foto0469.jpg

mind the gap!!!! ahahahahaha

Foto0470.jpg

Last edited:
some aritstic pictures of the bottle..
this is just a little prewiew of yesterday's work, not the final pictures... and there would be also a video.

photos:
Sergio Serrangeli
Show Again Photography Group

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

bye!!!:D

i been lazy these days...

not much work has done, i'm posting the first full-assembled photo taked today

Foto0487.jpg

lazyness or procrastination???? mmahhh... :eek:

To get the nose cone off do you need a bottle opener or is it a twist off???

:roll: authenticity man authenticity!

I would have "buried" bottle in the top so when the flight was over you could crack that and drink from the rocket ;)

Ben

looks good. What motor are you planning to use?

thanks!!! it will fly on a K1050 or K1275
and when CTI will send some motors, K590DT, K1440WT and L1115 will be the choice
it depends on when they arrive, and how much they gonna cost once here!!
in europe we have big problems with motors, and the worst thing is the cost of course!!!
for example, an AT K250 in USA costs $260, in europe the cost is around $420.. as you can see, launch a K here is like to launch an M in USA!!!!!

ahahah, we can call it a BP-off cap... it must be the preferred way to open bottles all around the world, isn't it???

:roll: authenticity man authenticity!

I would have "buried" bottle in the top so when the flight was over you could crack that and drink from the rocket ;)

Ben

you got my firs dream!!!!
i didn't put a bottle in the first rocket because i didn't find a safe place to store it
this time if there is enough space i will put the bottle inside the cap!!!

i'm waiting for goods to continue the finishing work...
I already ordered the paint, i expect to have it for the end of the week

still waiting for chutes and altimeter... everything on the way!

in europe we have big problems with motors, and the worst thing is the cost of course!!!
for example, an AT K250 in USA costs $260, in europe the cost is around $420.. as you can see, launch a K here is like to launch an M in USA!!!!!

Ouch! Next year you need to plan a vacation here in the US and come burn some AP with us.;)

Great build. Thank you for sharing. :)

things are on the way!!!

chutes and electronics might arrive in time for launch!!
but i have problems with motors... there are no motors from manufacturers!!!!!! they keeping all for LDRS....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

no way to get the motors i need, and if there is a possibility, motors will arrive after the event.. shi.t!!

i have to fly this rocket with a cluster of 4 I540WT or something similar... with all the risks of a just enough powerfull cluster... if one motor fail to ignite, there is no chance to see the SpeedWeiser again.
this is the second build, doing it again will kill all my passion for this hobby

the flight gonna be not very impressive:

quote ---> 1000ft
accel ---> 8Gees
max speed ---> 270ft/sec

i need a K1050 or K1440WT, and for a gooood launch a L1115 would be perfect
if anyone have one of those and want to help a little european rocket buider, please call 039-MIRACLE ahahah!!

today i got the last things, i'm going now to do some work

yesterday i spent a buck for the paint :mad: damn, $150!!! and i'm not very sure they maked the right colur...
for sure they did too much paint, my next 10 rocket will be painted brown ahahahah

it's not easy to pick the right tonality, glass is transparent, this bottle is not..
the only way to make it look good is to have a perfectly shining surface, that will be done with 1200grit water sandpaper and then polish

This is a very cool project. I'll look forward to seeing any video you get of take off!

i can't find anything interesting for this question

how much thrust gets lost in a 10° canted motor???
what's the rule of thumb for it!?

as i wrote a couple of post before, i can't have the motor i need for this flight...
i have to opt for a cluster of smaller motors
since i did non ment to use canted tubes for liftoff, i never asked myself about that

so now i'm doubtfull about which motor i may use to get a secure flight

please give me a hand for it :D

ciauzz!!

i can't find anything interesting for this question

how much thrust gets lost in a 10° canted motor???
what's the rule of thumb for it!?

Rule of thumb would be to take the cosine of the canted angle times the thrust curve of the motor. For 10° that works out to about 98.480% or a loss of about 2.52%

hope this helps.
jim

i have to fly this rocket with a cluster of 4 I540WT or something similar... with all the risks of a just enough powerfull cluster... if one motor fail to ignite, there is no chance to see the SpeedWeiser again.

Why not use 5 I540s? There is 5 motor tubes, right?

Rule of thumb would be to take the cosine of the canted angle times the thrust curve of the motor. For 10° that works out to about 98.480% or a loss of about 2.52%

hope this helps.
jim

so, for 7°(exact angle) there is just a little thrust loss.. multiplied by 4
is less than 10°

something good for my ears, and my heart ;)

can you write all the math behind??
i have different numbers

OC = 900
CS = 129

cos = 6.97

and then??
eheheh, i forgot all the math i learned..
wiki helps alot, but can't solve everything

Why not use 5 I540s? There is 5 motor tubes, right?

yes, there is 5 tubes... but :eek:
the exact answer for your question is $$$$$$$ cash! :bangpan:
all the people on this side of the ocean spend twice for the reloads :D
i know, is better to spend little more and bring back the rocket in one piece instead of(i don't even mention this option)
i'll see this on the field, maybe prices are lower than expected or the seller surprise me with the reload of the dreams :cool::cool:

but i made the question also for understanding better this argument :)

Back