Special Nose Cone Designs??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best rocket of August?

• RocketJunkie's 40" 17 sec. N800 saucer

• MicroMeister's 2 stage LED snitch 24mm

• jflis' Kalamazoo Arch w/48 ft. multi-color streamers

• JadeBox's Big Daddy Akavish aka: Fuzzy Spider

• RocketJunkie's 40" 17 sec. N800 saucer

• MicroMeister's 2 stage LED snitch 24mm

• jflis' Kalamazoo Arch w/48 ft. multi-color streamers

• JadeBox's Big Daddy Akavish aka: Fuzzy Spider

Results are only viewable after voting.

sandman

Reaction score
I was brainstorming trying to figure out some new nose cone designs.

Perhaps some of the manned capsules in different scales?

X-20 Dynasoar capsules.

Is there any desire or prefferences?

Do the poll and send in requests.

Some of the concept designs from Martin Marrietta, Lockheed and the X-20 will require some assembly but not much. These will be Nose Cone "Kits."

sandman

How about a series of scale high-speed missile nose cones? If you look at those Air-to-Air missile noses, they aren't perfect ogives, cones, or parabolas. Hence the reason The Launch Pad kits make you do those dang-blasted paper "hat" extensions on a parabolic cone.

WW

How about a series of scale high-speed missile nose cones? If you look at those Air-to-Air missile noses, they aren't perfect ogives, cones, or parabolas. Hence the reason The Launch Pad kits make you do those dang-blasted paper "hat" extensions on a parabolic cone.

I could do those!

How about a set of cones for a BT80 upscale Estes Interceptor...

WOW! That's more like carving! but I could do that too! NO, wait...I HAVE done that!:D

Keep 'em coming!

sandman

Nothing specific, except for a few ponderings of a dual-engine F15 Eagle rocket. Also thinking of some kind of ground-to-air "nasty looking" missile with a scramjet look, or a turbojet intake or something. But mostly just dreaming ;)

Well, the design has to be practical to make. (i.e. easy!) I don't want to do a lot of hand carving on each one.

Kinda hard to be consistant.

And it has to be sellable. I gotta be able to sell it!

sandman

I think DJ had the right idea upthread - NOBODY carries the old intake style cones that Estes used to make. I'm talking about the old BNC-5BA cone that was in the Mini Bomarc and the Mars Snooper 2, and the BNC-50BC cone that was in the regular Bomarc and the Wolverine. Even BMS doesn't make those except as custom orders (and they're tough to describe).

Greg

OK, I voted for "shuttle replacement concepts" but I would be very interested in Wolverine/BOMARC style intake cones, all sizes; and BT80 NCs *other* than 3:1 ogive (got some LOC plastic ones) and BT80-BB? (Fat Boy) styles.

oh yeah, and some interesting tail cones too?? does that count as "special transitions"?

Sandman, this poll is no good! It only allows me to pick one!

A recomendation for everyoine else: I just received one of Sandman's X-20 nose cone kits, and it is very nice indeed. The kit comprises:

1 off Main body
2 off wings
2 off fins
1 off transition
1 off eyelet
1 off set of decals
1 off set instructions

The balsa is good quality. As Sandman mentioned, there is some assembly required, but nothing too taxing. The decals look great. It's designed to fit onto a BT60 body tube.

A search of the web reveals that there were many proposed launchers for this vehicle, including Titan I, II & III, Saturn 1 & Atlas/Centaur, so scratchbuilders can go crazy.

Your right...maybe I should have put more options???

sandman

I guess it's safe to say that there is a market for this kind of thing. I think the challange is to come up with a range that satisifes as much of the pent up demand as possible, whilst staying practical to porduce.

I must say that the idea of intakes and nacelles is a very interesting one, that might be relatively easy to make. Basically an ogive transition, with a hole thorugh it at each end of a piece of body tube?

Originally posted by sandman
Your right...maybe I should have put more options???

Actually - you should've made the poll multiple choice by selecting the box that said something like "Allow Multiple Responses" or something like that...

Anywho, I'd like to see a bunch of nosecones for the Delta family of boosters, some Gemini BT-70 based stuff (maybe even an add-on section for the nozzle areas?), and that funky-looking attachment for the Saturn V that lofted the Skylab.

On the sport side of things, I'd like to see mainly different stuff than what is available, like cls said.

Jason

Here is something I came up with while fooling around with some scrap balsa and a transision block that was just too short for anything else.

I have no idea what rocket to put it on.:confused:

The top pic is the concept series and the bottom row of pics is what I came up with.

sandman

I am doing these cones in 1/100th scale for a customer to match his 1/100th Saturn V.

If there is enough interest I'll make some molds and maybe cast some.

The Mercury Capsules are designed for the Totally Tubular T-.70 (70" in 1/100th scale) body tube.

The Gemini Capsule is designed for the Totally Tubular T-52H (29mm nmotor tube) which is 1.21" O.D (1/100th scale is 1.20". That's as close as could get.)

sandman

How about a 13mm powered 1/100th scale Mercury Redstone kit?

Or has Neubauer done that already?

I think he did. Does anybody know?

sandman

Latest posts

Back