SPEAR-Hypersonic Rocket Team

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

plugger

Reaction score
West Point has a Hypersonic Rocket Team called SPEAR. They flew a 4" to 3" sub minimum diameter two stage at FAR on May 1st and recovered the sustainer successfully. IDK but I suspect the booster was expendable. Sustainer apparently just exceeded Mach 5 and inertial data indicates ~84km distance traveled. I'm looking forward to more data on this project, they've already shared more than the USAFA boosted dart team from around a decade ago.

Their Facebook page

Another page with a youtube video and PDF

JimJarvis50

Reaction score
West Point has a Hypersonic Rocket Team called SPEAR. They flew a 4" to 3" sub minimum diameter two stage at FAR on May 1st and recovered the sustainer successfully. IDK but I suspect the booster was expendable. Sustainer apparently just exceeded Mach 5 and inertial data indicates ~84km distance traveled. I'm looking forward to more data on this project, they've already shared more than the USAFA boosted dart team from around a decade ago.

Their Facebook page

Another page with a youtube video and PDF
Nice flight! Looks like SpacePort and not FAR.

Jim

JimJarvis50

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction Jim! I hope you're well.
Thanks Andrew, same to you. I've never been to FAR (really need to get there at some point), but have been to SpacePort quite a few times. I hope it stays available as a resource for rocketry.

Jim

Latest posts