spare parts cluster attempt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
Cleaning up my work bench the other night and the parts pile got me thinking about what I could build with what I had.
I have always wanted to play around with a cluster but didnt have cluster centering rings- so why not pods instead . Here is what I have come up with so far. Its a BT60 full tube then a half one I had-lol. then some balsa papered - thru wall fins as well as the pod mounts.
Thinking of a D-12 /5 or 7 center and a pair of A6/0 for the pods for a first flight. Not really gonna bother with any type of finish until after it gets a flight and proves its self .
Open to constructive comments or concerns. If this isnt the right place for this , feel free to move it.

20160925_200222.jpg

20160925_200121.jpg

20160925_200313.jpg

I hate half the time my pics are right and the other sideways- sigh, sorry.

Last edited:
Do you have any vents in the pods? I think you'll need them so the pod motors don't try to eject themselves (and now as I'm typing this I realize I don't quite know how strong the forward pop is on -0 motors. Obviously there are at least *some* gasses ejected forward...)

I don't think Estes makes A6-0 motors anymore, since they're not very useful as boosters. B6-0's in there would seem reasonable; the D is still gonna burn twice as long.

I like idea of three-inline clusters; should make a nice smoke trail going up. I was thinking of building one and canting the two outer ones, to make the triple-smoke trail even more pronounced. Get some good pics when it flies!

So , with that said , anyone see any obvious design flaws or reasons - IT WONT WORK ?? -
Im fine with an A8/0 as it will only help. Frankly in the end I was thinking a soft F- Center and 2 outboard C-s soo. :wink:

Estes reintroduced A8-0s a few years ago and they are currently available.

Interesting design!

Yeah , initially the plan was to center line vertically all 3 motors- the first standoff for the booster somehow got a little tick upward - so I made the other one match it :facepalm:
Guess there is only one way to find out, :cool:
This thing is built pretty tough, tru wall fins as well as the booster standoff- both sides of the standoff ( motor and rocket) I added a reversed engine hook to the pods to keep any forward motor movement away as I will be gluing the pod nose cones in place. - once again, open to concerns here.
20160919_201817.jpg
20160919_212612.jpg20160919_142128.jpg

Last edited:
So whats the best wiring plan with igniters to ensure all three motors fire ???

12 volt battery

You mean my Estes starter kit wont handle it ?? :rolleyes:
More specifically how to properly wire the igniters ?
Couldnt help myself, started as base color coat - I cant fly naked rockets :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back