SPARCS: solid propellant amateur rocketry computer simulation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see there is not a whole lot of interest so far in this program. Maybe there is not a lot of people interested in building rocket motors? However, even if you're not into experimental rocketry, this program can be fun to play around with. In the latest release I have added several AeroTech propellants to the library. You can now build large motors with high performance propellants and export them to RockSim or OpenRocket. Maybe try launching one into space if you're bored...

Burnsim already does this. http://www.burnsim.com/ nless your program does ignition transients, Burnsim does all the steady state calculations. I have an old DOS program, GDP, That also does this. Won't run in anything newer than Win XP.

I see there is not a whole lot of interest so far in this program. Maybe there is not a lot of people interested in building rocket motors?
It's not that there isn't interest, its that there a multiple programs like this already out there. Personally I have 4 different motor simulation programs and only needed to pay for one of them. Not to be rude but unless it does something different/new then it is likely to get ignored as most people would already have other programs and be used to using them.

What's it do different?
Why would I want to switch?
I trust my current tools and know nothing about yours.....

Tell us why we want to test your tool.

If anyone would actually download it they would see what makes it better. Instead I mostly get comments from people offended that there is a new option available to them. LOL

I have tried the other simulators, I made this program because I wanted something better.

But I will list some of the features that make it special...

* Startup/Steady State/Taildown phase calculations
* Center of gravity calculations when exporting to RSE format
* Table of multiple burn rate constants and pressure exponents
* Enter data in any unit on the fly
* Library of motor casing materials and propellants for ease of use
* Scroll bar for viewing regression pattern and slivers in real time.
* Motor tube strength calculator
* Igniter instantaneous pressure calculator.
* Straight forward user interface
* All calculations verified to be accurate and checked against Richard Nakka's spreadsheet tools.

OK - tried it - quickie feedback:

I built a 4G98 that I just put together for an upcoming flight so I'm intimately familiar.
Used Aerotech classic as a propellant stand-in for now.
Here is my thoughts:

- you need a nozzle throat length
- you need to be able to mix & match propellant types
- it won't burn below 800psi -- if I set the nozzle to anything over 0.9" I get a pressure warning, yet 0.9 inch yields 800psi startup.
- the need to inhibit the outside of the grain is not obvious and should be the default
- won't go full-screen

OK - more to come....

I have been shopping around looking at different solid propellant software, I will keep an eye on this as well. Thank you for your work.

Back