SpaceX Falcon 9 Kit Discontinued?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Estes Rockets Coming at NARCON?

I saw there is no planned Falcon kit from Estes in the above thread this morning. Bummer. I hoped for a less expensive kit for a rocket workshop for kids about 10 years old.
The workshop will not be possible until at least next year. Maybe another vendor will be making the kit, and available on SpaceX webstore. Fingers crossed.
Still in discussion?
https://billsrockets.blogspot.com/2020/07/breaking-news-from-rocket-vendors-part-1.html?m=1
I think it would be great for Estes to have a Falcon 9 Crew Dragon and Falcon Heavy Kit in their lineup. That said there are a lot of 3D printed options out there already.

I saw there is no planned Falcon kit from Estes in the above thread this morning. Bummer. I hoped for a less expensive kit for a rocket workshop for kids about 10 years old.

There were no prices quoted on future potential Estes Falcon9 or FalconHeavy.
There was one built model sitting on Bill Stine's furniture, but both Bill and Ellis were extremely vague about when it might be released. It did not sound like they had a licensing deal with SpaceX inked up yet.

Price points were not discussed at all, but you might assume it will be similar to other 24mm priced ($35+) Estes rockets.

I think it would be great for Estes to have a Falcon 9 Crew Dragon and Falcon Heavy Kit in their lineup. That said there are a lot of 3D printed options out there already.

True, but all those 3D printed options come as piecemeal items.
One would need to source the tubes, graphics, centering rings, and all other bits and pieces on his/her own. That may appeal to some, but definitely would not be appropriate for working with groups of kids.

There were no prices quoted on future potential Estes Falcon9 or FalconHeavy.
There was one built model sitting on Bill Stine's furniture, but both Bill and Ellis were extremely vague about when it might be released. It did not sound like they had a licensing deal with SpaceX inked up yet.

Price points were not discussed at all, but you might assume it will be similar to other 24mm priced ($35+) Estes rockets.

True, but all those 3D printed options come as piecemeal items.
One would need to source the tubes, graphics, centering rings, and all other bits and pieces on his/her own. That may appeal to some, but definitely would not be appropriate for working with groups of kids.
Yes I agree. The 3D printed route leaves a lot to be desired. If Estes can get it done, these would be great to have in their lineup.

If this model is going to be used in a rocket workshop for kids, I think you would want a lower skill level.
I doubt very much that an Estes Falcon 9 would be a beginner's skill level to build, especially with 24mm motors.

Keep an eye on the yard sale group here too, i've gotten some good deals on various things on here, including the hobbyline cases when they were hard to come by. If you get your hands on the SpaceX kit its pretty sturdy, mine's built bone stock and I fly it on F12 reloads

If this model is going to be used in a rocket workshop for kids, I think you would want a lower skill level.
I doubt very much that an Estes Falcon 9 would be a beginner's skill level to build, especially with 24mm motors.
True, it would be a bit challenging. But, I wouldn't want to do any more workshops with Alphas or EX2's. I need something a bit more fun frankly. For a smaller group of older kids, say 9-12 years old, I've held workshops building Estes Patriots and even Estes Express (2 stage, 24 mm).
Btw, just checked the SpaceX store for the kit and no luck there. But, I got a new Falcon t-shirt, so I'll have another opportunity to ask about the kit. ;-)
I'm leaning toward the Nike Apache as a good back up for a Falcon 9 Dragon. If altitude and impulse becomes an issue at the launch site, we could use A's. Still, there's months before moving forward on the possible workshop and launch, so we'll see.

Coming to this discussion a tad late but is there an aftermarket decal maker who does the SpaceX Crew Dragon decals for the 1/90ish BT-60 sized model?

So in order to do the entire rocket, and based upon post #19 and #27 and Peak of Flight #523, the answer would be no.

So in order to do the entire rocket, and based upon post #19 and #27 and Peak of Flight #523, the answer would be no.
Capsule decals from Lake County Spaceport.
Rocket decals from free download in Apogee newsletter, printed on decal paper.
Cheap, easy, great results:
1607740355826.png
Of course you could wait for someone to come out with BT-60 decals for the Falcon 9 and crew dragon.
Don't hold your breath.

Last edited:
Yeah, but don't think DWonders wants to buy a whole kit just for the decals.
Only people selling decals for model rockets that I know of are Tango Papa (waterslide) and Stickershock23 (vinyl).
Since Apogee already has the properly scaled artwork why not just print it yourself?
Waaayyy cheaper.

Printing my own decals is not an option right now Kurinin which is why I asked if anyone was making a complete set for this particular model in this scale. Thanks for your help though in at least pointing me to someone that can do the capsule. That's half the battle.

Back