SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.space.com/spacex-dragon-fireball-debris-reentry-video
First I've heard/seen of Dragon's "Trunk" burning up at reentry. I would think it'd burn up before it gets close enough to be seen on the ground? I guess it has some pretty good mass.

View attachment 577949

Whatcha gon' do with all that junk
All that junk inside your trunk?
I'ma get, get it go kerplunk
Go kerplunk if it don’t burn up
Burn up, burn up, burn up, burn up, burn up
Burn up, burn up, burn up, my flamey little lumps
Check it out

Nice launch! Would have been cool if they had video from the spent boosters as they tumbled down and splash in. Or would they have used termination systems to break them into smaller pieces? I'm curious "what happens" to these expended ones. After separation and moving away from the main stack, do they just fall ballistically or is there some degree of maneuver/aspect guidance to put them in the most favorable orientation for safest possible disposal at sea?

After separation and moving away from the main stack, do they just fall ballistically or is there some degree of maneuver/aspect guidance to put them in the most favorable orientation for safest possible disposal at sea?
I would have thought they would just fall uncontrollably into the sea. Saving mass was a priority, hence the lack of grid fins and attendant systems for them. I will bet they just fall into the ocean. There was a callout that FTS was safed just after booster separation. I guess they break up on impact.

It was interesting in the FH flight that they mentioned it was the 100th flight of one of the fairing halves. So that is about $300million they have saved by reusing that fairing alone. Worth having :) .
I believe they said it was the 100th flight that they have used a flight proven fairing half. Not tht either of the fairling halves on the flight have been used 100 times.

I am just imagining the amount of decelleration on the fairings during entry.
Wouldn't it be pretty gentle as the atmosphere thickens? The fairings are pretty "fluffy" in terms of weight per surface area. It seems like they'd slow down pretty quickly even from thin air.

From Space.com...

Falcon family hits 200 consecutive successes. SpaceX’s launch of 51 more Starlink Internet satellites Wednesday from California marked the 200th consecutive successful mission for the company’s Falcon rocket family, a record unmatched by any other space launch vehicle. The string of successes dates back to September 2016, when a Falcon 9 rocket exploded on a launch pad during pre-flight testing at Cape Canaveral, Spaceflight Now reports.

By way of comparison ... United Launch Alliance has amassed a 97-for-97 success record for its Atlas 5 rocket since its debut in 2002. Going further back, the Atlas rocket family, which includes earlier launcher designs with different engines, has a string of 172 consecutive successful missions since 1993. The China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology has achieved a record of 141 straight successful space launches since April 2020. This state-owned company manufactures and operates the Long March launch vehicle family. (submitted by EllPeaTea)

Never get tired of seeing those boosters land.
That landing was a VERY gentle touchdown.

I think I heard they changed up the motor burns for this return & landing. Usually it is 3 for entry burn and 1 for landing. But the switched it today and used 1 for entry burn and then 3 for landing touchdown.

That landing was a VERY gentle touchdown.

I think I heard they changed up the motor burns for this return & landing. Usually it is 3 for entry burn and 1 for landing. But the switched it today and used 1 for entry burn and then 3 for landing touchdown.
there's Tractionengines. That was a long Birthday break

Back