SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the feed I was watching, a few people asked if SpaceX washed it because it looked cleaner than expected. They said "no, it just rained and washed some of the soot off"

I wonder if the soot adds any measurable amount of drag.

Just saw a video of a passenger airliner that crashed.
It was caused by the maintenance crew forgetting to remove tape they had placed over the sensor ports to keep out the water when they were washing it.
Instruments gave false and conflicting information during the flight. Crew had no visual reference since they were flying just past midnight and over water.
So maybe not washing is not such a bad thing?
That's what I say when taking my monthly shower.....
Just kidding!

It was caused by the maintenance crew forgetting to remove tape they had placed over the sensor ports to keep out the water when they were washing it.
Instruments gave false and conflicting information during the flight. Crew had no visual reference since they were flying just past midnight and over water.
Just kidding!
I was gonna say something. 🤣

Just kidding!
That was a 757. Tape over the static ports. So...no reliable airspeed indication and probably not very good altitude either.. It was one of only two that were lost in all the years the 757 had been in service before 9/11/2001.

I'd be a bit surprised if Falcon 9s have air data systems that rely on static ports and pitot tubes, but I could be wrong.

That was that booster's eighth flight, not ninth, but all of them were within the last year. We can't say that for many of our rockets.... :)

IIRC they had run out of the regular bright orange tape they were supposed to use and used silver tape instead. The night flight meant the pilots didn't see it over the ports during the walkaround.

IIRC they had run out of the regular bright orange tape they were supposed to use and used silver tape instead. The night flight meant the pilots didn't see it over the ports during the walkaround.
That's a detail that I hadn't heard. That would be bad, considering, if I remember right, it was an American Airlines flight...and American's livery included lots of polished aluminum in those days, so silver tape would really be hard to spot in less than full sunlight. Wow.

We probably better get back on topic before George tells us to :).

Just kidding!
So you put tape over your orifices when taking a shower?

Starship super heavy booster rollout live.
The lift off the transporter and onto the test stand coming soon.

EDIT: Liftoff at around the 6:47:00 mark. Touchdown around 7:05:00. That's what I call low and slow. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, I heard this is not the orbital booster. Given that they said earlier they were targeting July for the orbital test flight, I assumed this one was intended to be the orbital booster. But now that we know it’s not, I’m assuming they won’t make the orbital flight in July, which always seemed unrealistically ambitious anyway.

Updates in video below: Space X Transporter 2 satellite missions details, Starlink updates, NASA SLS, Ingenuity updates.
Go to 7:27 for updates on Starship heavy boosters 3 and 4.

Last edited:
Back