SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of them actually looked like birds - a bit too high for them though. From the replay on the Space site:
20:54, left side of left picture
21:18, left side of left picture
Plus a few other smaller 'bits'.

Last edited:
Best landing video ever - continuous steady video from both the booster and ground. Don't hear much anymore from the idiots who were claiming the landings were fake.

Those ice bits were unlike any I've seen before. The rotation of the first bit did make it look like a flapping bird.

Did anyone hear if they caught one of the fairings? They only had one 'net boat' out there so they were going to try to catch one and fish the other one out of the water. Were they successful?

Another fizzle for the ESA. This morning's launch was postponed.
From the ESA website:
"The storm track of Typhoon Maysak over South Korea – which requires that the Jeju telemetry station be protected – has led to the postponement of final preparatory operations for Vega’s Flight VV16 launch, which was scheduled for 1 September (Kourou) / 2 September (03:51 CEST).

A new launch date will be set based on the evolution of the tropical storm’s situation over the Jeju station and its consequences."

SpaceX is ready to zip off another 60 Starlink satellites today (Thurs., 9/3) at 8:46 EDT. This will make the 12th launch of a large batch of the satellites, over 700 total (after successful launch/deploy).

More Starlink satellites going up Sept. 29. at about 10:00 a.m. local. Launch delayed for Delta Heavy launch, which was delayed, itself. Booster to return to drone ship.
Another Falcon launch is scheduled for about the same time. It's carrying a GPS system forthe Air Force and Space force. Will probably be postponed at least a day because of scheduling conflicts.

Whatever is going on with that Delta 4 Heavy to delay it is apparently still going on. Spaceflight Now is showing "no earlier than Tuesday" for the NROL launch. I wonder if the Starlink (or GPS) launch will get off ahead of it after all. The last Starlink was held up for the Delta launch (and concerns of launching nearby) and then went after all.

Added: the SpaceX tweet with the Monday 10:22AM time for Starlink was posted three hours ago...so perhaps this is taking the latest Delta 4 Heavy delay into account.

Maybe they should start giving SpaceX some priority since their launches seem to be more likely to fly on time? It looked like they were going to get three launches this month, but now they might end up with just one if the delays keep stacking up. Must be annoying for SpaceX.

Sept. 28Falcon 9 • Starlink 12

Launch time: 1422 GMT (10:22 a.m. EDT)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 13th batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 12.

Delta scheduled to go up a 12:02 a.m. (local) Tuesday, Falcon set to fly at 9:55 p.m. Tuesady night.

Sorry to clutter this thread with non-SpaceX stuff, but this is really neat!
UP CLOSE Delta IV Heavy Launch Pad Tour (Tory Bruno CEO of ULA) - Smarter Every Day

Sorry to clutter this thread with non-SpaceX stuff, but this is really neat!
UP CLOSE Delta IV Heavy Launch Pad Tour (Tory Bruno CEO of ULA) - Smarter Every Day

I love the Smarter Everyday channels, Destin does a great job of explaining things and has managed to get some very cool access to locations none of us could ever imagine. I mean he crawled down the torpedo tube of a nuke sub!! Like who gets to do that?

Great launch. I think the landing must have came more over the end of the drone ship than usual, the camera got blasted.

I think the drone ship they used today “ Just Read the Instructions“ is a tad smaller than the other one. Might account for the closer camera views. In any case, another great launch and recovery by SpaceX!

Back