SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously they bought a lot of white/black paint but can't use it until the moon starship and the paint expiration date is approaching.
And that brings to mind ...
this quote of John Berkey in book The Art of John Berkey, by Jane Frank

50752587016_dd57fe869b_z.jpg

Source: https://adamrowe.substack.com/p/book-notes-the-art-of-john-berkey

Have we heard anything yet on SN8 failure analysis and/or SN9 changes/mods made to prevent a repeat?
Almost immediately Musk posted it was low pressure in the header tanks that supply fuel during the landing burn. The fix is pretty obvious.

Tony

I'm expecting not. After years looking at stainless steel rail cars in both person and photo I'm expecting it is simply the bare metal reflecting the shaded interior of the building.
That makes sense. I was thinking the light part in the middle was where the didn't coat, now realize it's the door reflection.

Hey, why not,
3:07 PM BlisterHiker The future of stacking is flying Starship and landing it on top of the booster before launch 😉
just seen on chat on live feed,

Is Space X Not launching from the Cape tonight- Im certain I heard they where , but there is no link to live feed - Help me out here .

Latest Starship so-crazy-it-almost-makes-sense plan: catch the Super Heavy booster by the grid fins with the launch tower to save the weight of landing legs.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...o-catch-a-falling-rocket-with-a-launch-tower/
As the comments say, it should be fun seeing the number of explosions needed to make this one work. Although I'd hazard a guess that if they go ahead with this plan, it won't be the grid fins they catch but something connected to the lifting lugs they'll already have at the top of the booster. That seems waaay less Rube Goldberg than catching by the grid fins.

Latest Starship so-crazy-it-almost-makes-sense plan: catch the Super Heavy booster by the grid fins with the launch tower to save the weight of landing legs.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...o-catch-a-falling-rocket-with-a-launch-tower/
As the comments say, it should be fun seeing the number of explosions needed to make this one work. Although I'd hazard a guess that if they go ahead with this plan, it won't be the grid fins they catch but something connected to the lifting lugs they'll already have at the top of the booster. That seems waaay less Rube Goldberg than catching by the grid fins.

The Arstechnica article may say to save mass, but I thought it was to avoid having to get landing precision down from feet to inches and to reduce exhaust impingement on the launch stand. Hovering over a spot +/- the spread of the grids vs directly setting back down on the launch stand.

The Arstechnica article may say to save mass, but I thought it was to avoid having to get landing precision down from feet to inches and to reduce exhaust impingement on the launch stand. Hovering over a spot +/- the spread of the grids vs directly setting back down on the launch stand.

You're probably right. Concrete doesn't really like having a blowtorch applied. It's a little different with a steel boat deck.

Back