SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launch Window opens at 6:35 PM (or 6:36 PM) EDT today.

Fuel Load underway.

Webcast usually begins at least 15 minutes before launch time.

A LIVE broadcast by "Space & Universe", good for now, but SpaceX's should be better once it goes live.

And the Everyday Astronaut's live feed:

>> But only a 7.6 from the Russian judge.

You made me blow my drink out my nose!! Now that's funny!

Congrats SpaceX - this is how access to space should be (not many explosions!). NASA should take note. It does not take huge amounts of money to accomplish.

Coolest rocket landings ever!

>> But only a 7.6 from the Russian judge.

You made me blow my drink out my nose!! Now that's funny!

Congrats SpaceX - this is how access to space should be (not many explosions!). NASA should take note. It does not take huge amounts of money to accomplish.

Coolest rocket landings ever!

Right now, it seems like the only reason to buy a launch from ULA is to keep two US-based providers in the system. I'm curious what will happen to ULA/LockMart when Blue Origin finally gets New Glenn through Gradatim Ferociter and flying. With two systems using wildly different technology flying and re-using boosters, it'll be awfully hard to compete.

And on the explosions front, I'm looking forward to the Crew Dragon abort test. That's the only time you get to cheer for a fireball on a serious launch.

Now we just need a bunch of telescopes in a huge ring to create an enormous synthetic aperture. One of the things I'm most excited about the various satellite internet proposals for.

Very cool. So in a single launch, SpaceX recovered 5 components that can be reused.

The article you cited makes a big deal about cleaning the fairings after being in the ocean. If NASA could do it decades ago to reuse portions of the Shuttle SRBs, I don't see why this would be difficult for SpaceX to do.

Very cool. So in a single launch, SpaceX recovered 5 components that can be reused.

The article you cited makes a big deal about cleaning the fairings after being in the ocean. If NASA could do it decades ago to reuse portions of the Shuttle SRBs, I don't see why this would be difficult for SpaceX to do.

I think the complication is that the fairings form a mini clean room (or nearly so) for the satellite while out on the pad, and during launch. If they get wet and salty, can they ever be clean enough again? SRBs could be dirtier. So they'll try it and see.

I think the complication is that the fairings form a mini clean room (or nearly so) for the satellite while out on the pad, and during launch. If they get wet and salty, can they ever be clean enough again? SRBs could be dirtier. So they'll try it and see.

Does it matter if the salt water all stays on the outside of the fairing? From what I saw of previous catch attempts, the fairings floated pretty high. In theory* they would have to scrub the fairings down pretty well after manufacturing to get them into "mini clean room" state, so if the inside works were designed to be easily cleaned (ie watertight), it might not be so hard to repeat the process. One benefit of it being salt water is that salt is soluble so they should be able to clean it up well with a good water wash.

Alternatively, maybe they are re-using the fairing shell but not the electronics. If the electronics are trashed anyway, that opens up a whole new realm of ways to clean the fairing.

* In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice.

Use this twitter link to see the booster landing video from the screenshot of SpaceX twitter post below (can't embed it to play)
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1116553298176118784
madG1tg.png

Here's one image of FH's launch from SpaceX's Flickr site. Check this link to see more.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacex/
zGLRDwG.jpg

Twin booster landing photo posted by the 45th Space Wing:
XrzvSXF.jpg

Last edited:
Back