SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know George, just because the new guy doesn't immediately recognize you for all that you have done for the hobby, and kow tow to you chanting 'I'm not worthy' is no reason for you to work yourself up. Matt comes across in his posts as a younger fellow. his initial flood of posts appears to be tapering off (at least a bit, kind of like another Matt) let's give this Matt benefit of doubt and another month or so before crying 'Unclean' (and ringing our bells).
Rex

OK, so Matt the... whatever is just a troll.

189 posts in 13 days.

I suggest not answering any of his crap in this thread, at the least.

You know i would prefer you not say that about me... maybe you should look at how people generally treat people who need help and are not trolling / spamming all the time....

Thanks for letting me know your very short biased opinion of me based on my opinions..

you know George, just because the new guy doesn't immediately recognize you for all that you have done for the hobby, and kow tow to you chanting 'I'm not worthy' is no reason for you to work yourself up. Matt comes across in his posts as a younger fellow. his initial flood of posts appears to be tapering off (at least a bit, kind of like another Matt) let's give this Matt benefit of doubt and another month or so before crying 'Unclean' (and ringing our bells).
Rex

How exactly "let's give this Matt benefit of doubt and another month or so before crying 'Unclean' (and ringing our bells)." what does that mean for me if i keep up on being active almost 7 days a week? I am a Rocketry Commander we shoot rockets 3 times a week its no joke that i ask help or opinions

So to return to topic - any word on whether they even attempted a fairing recovery and if so how it went? I suppose since we haven’t heard they probably didn’t do it (or succeed).
Apparently they did not try. Mr. Steven did travel thru the Panama Canal to the Atlantic, at the moment I don't see any info on where it is docked. Given that this past mission to GEO orbits (and that Israeli moon lander), seems to have been pretty maxed out, it may not have been practical to include the extra mass of a shroud recovery system. But I do not know how close that margin might be - whether it was a rocket science thing like avoiding the extra mass, or a basic production thing of having these experimental recovery systems built/prepared. Obviously they moved Mr Steven to the East Coast so it could try recoveries a lot more often than the small number of launches made at Vandenberg, but that's not guaranteeing they're going to try it every time. Have not even tried it every time for the Vandy launches.

Next scheduled launch is NET March 2nd, the DM-1 launch of the first Dragon-2 spacecraft. If this goes well, then the next Dragon-2 mission will have a NASA crew onboard (maybe before the end of the year). Also, if that launch date hold up, it's going to be during NARCON which is being held at Cape Canaveral March 1st-3rd.

@Matt as opposed to lets all gang up and dump on the new guy. I just wanted to remind folks that we were all new posters at some point.
Rex

Mr Steven came limping home with two arms missing.
Seas evidently 3.5m tall.
Got part way, turned around. They knew before T-0 that there wouldn't be fairing recovery, which I think is about 100 km further out than the booster landing.

D0CFitOX4AEdseo.jpg

Since DM-1 is during NARCON, I'll be watching from KSC's Apollo V center.
(If anyone else is going to the Feel the Burn watching, I can give you a lift.)
The only thing about that I'm sad about is that it's an ocean landing.

Mr Steven came limping home with two arms missing.
Seas evidently 3.5m tall.
Got part way, turned around. They knew before T-0 that there wouldn't be fairing recovery, which I think is about 100 km further out than the booster landing.

Holy crap! I had looked for fairing recovery news on NSF earlier but had looked at the Fairing Recovery thread which had nothing new. Didn't check the "SpaceX Facilities and Fleets" section with the Mr Steven thread in it. Now I see it.

Hope DM-1 goes as scheduled. You never know with this stuff. BTW - the launch time for the 2nd is 2:48 AM.

Holy crap! I had looked for fairing recovery news on NSF earlier but had looked at the Fairing Recovery thread which had nothing new. Didn't check the "SpaceX Facilities and Fleets" section with the Mr Steven thread in it. Now I see it.

Hope DM-1 goes as scheduled. You never know with this stuff. BTW - the launch time for the 2nd is 2:48 AM.

Worse still, I have to board a shuttle at 10:30pm to go to the viewing area. So I'll be at KSC until goodness knows when that night, then I have to present at NARCON the next day! That's going to sting a little.

Worse still, I have to board a shuttle at 10:30pm to go to the viewing area. So I'll be at KSC until goodness knows when that night, then I have to present at NARCON the next day! That's going to sting a little.

I saw the writeup in patrick's email RE planning for NARCON. I'm torn between going out there and sacrificing untold hours to traffic and congestion, or just watching from the hotel

I saw the writeup in patrick's email RE planning for NARCON. I'm torn between going out there and sacrificing untold hours to traffic and congestion, or just watching from the hotel

Well, it's not a no-brainer. My rationale: when will I ever happen to be in town for a SpaceX launch? So I spent some money to try to max it out as a sort of Short Rocket Vacation.
But I have NO DOUBT that Saturday I will miss that sleep tremendously.

SpaceX tweet with a really nice video about the Dragon-2 and upcoming DM-1 mission (Still set for 2:48 AM EST). Can't get the video to embed, so you have to use the link:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1101257584797872128

I had the possibility of making it to NARCON, and seeing this launch. I am having hernia surgery March 4th, will be out 3 weeks from work, and plan to drive to Alabama for a couple of weeks to see friends and take care of some stuff there. But originally, the surgery was going to be Feb 18th, and I would be there now. I was going to strongly urge my best friend there (Ron Witherspoon, retired), that we drive down to KSC for NARCON and visit KSC, a "bucket list" thing if nothing else. But, my health care plan required a change from my original schedule and I could not get the timing to work for NARCON. But I will be driving to Alabama as planned, soon as I feel up to it (Had hernia surgery on the left side 1.5 years ago, so I know mostly what to expect. Moving around was the @#*$ the first few days, sitting in a chair for long periods was fine).

Effing YEAH I'd go to KSC to see the launch as close as possible, never mind sleep. I've only seen two "real" rocket launches. One was a Black-Brant X sounding rocket at Wallops. The other was a shuttle launch, STS-47 in 1992, from the NASA Causeway.

DM-1 launch late tonight (early Saturday morning), at 2:48 AM, EST

1551390922356.jpg

Webcast:

Dragon-2 will apparently have a live video cam (or several camera views). And a simulated crew member.
D0ja-eBUwAEU4hL.jpg

Last edited:
Was a great launch. Only problem is they changed the telemetry gauges on the video feed, now I need to modify mine in dashware.

vulkans never do :). looked like they ironed out some of the glitches of the video feed from the drone ship as we got to watch stage 1 landing.

Is this going to happen today? Any one have any more info? The feed shows launch between 10am and 4pm CDT. It is already after 6pm.

A couple of hours ish ago I saw some venting coming from the hopper and I thought I saw a cloud of something from teh base. I could be wrong on the base thing as there does seem to be a lot of thermal distortion from the distance. However the venting was definitely going on.

Back