SpaceX Falcon 9 and Fairing Flying Model Rocket Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Got a mate of mine to bring back some stuff from the SpaceX shop when he was visiting the USA recently. As part of the batch I got two of the Falcon 9 plus Fairing rocket kits. Cost was $29USD each:

kit.jpg

Assembly was simple, and probably a bit slow as I used my usual West Systems epoxy, when five-minute epoxy was specified and probably the best for the task.

The result is something I will fly for the next launch that I manage to get to. It is designed for 24mm D and E motors. It will be the smallest motor I have flown for a long time :)

The body tubes are pre-wrapped with graphics, so there is no painting needed! The fairing does not come with any graphics, so I hunted and managed to find a graphic of the SES-10 mission for the fairing. This was the first mission to fly a reused booster and I have used this on the model as a celebration of their achievement :clap:

WholeRocket.jpg AftEnd.jpg

No fiberglass has been harmed in the making of this kit :wink:. Bit of a pleasant change from HPR in the simplicity and short build time.

I will build the second kit as a static display of the landed first stage. Just need to 3D print the legs and grid fins etc.

For anyone wanting to build a nice cardboard model, there is a nice resource here:
https://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ind ... %20SES-10/?

Nice build!

I was surprised by the thickness of the body tube. Quite heavy for it's size, but that makes for nice slow-n-low flights.

This is the only Lo power chute I haven't cut a spill hole in. I like the F9 graphic on it too much. (Didn't stop me from cutting vent holes tho)

I haven't tried it, but I've heard you can load F's in it if you keep the average thrust down and epoxy the loose roots all the way to the tubes.

This is the only Lo power chute I haven't cut a spill hole in. I like the F9 graphic on it too much. (Didn't stop me from cutting vent holes tho)

I haven't tried it, but I've heard you can load F's in it if you keep the average thrust down and epoxy the loose roots all the way to the tubes.

I've been wondering about this as well. I've run epoxy fillets on the fins on mine. I've thought about trying an F12-5J 24/40 reload but are these fins still going to flutter to death at 250mph? Someone with a set of replacement fins ready needs to try this.

I've been wondering about this as well. I've run epoxy fillets on the fins on mine. I've thought about trying an F12-5J 24/40 reload but are these fins still going to flutter to death at 250mph? Someone with a set of replacement fins ready needs to try this.

I won't be able to tell you for sure till I buy another chute release and risk it at our HPR site. Although with the owner's crop schedule, we've been placed at horrible wind ->tree locations all spring.

Really nice model!

Have you run any sims? 250 mph sounds pretty fast for an F12. Keep in mind it is a very weak F (45 N-Sec) and a regressive burn thrust curve.

I have seen one of these fly at a local launch and IIRC it's been flown most often on an Estes E9. Although I think the owner probably modified the mount to accept the longer E9, and he has flown it using a Chute Release so the tailweight of the heavier E9 is offset by the noseweight of the C.R. Of course a reload is heavier than a D12 so you may want to add a bit of noseweight to keep the same CG.

The Aerotech E11 reload is another option you could consider. 31.6 N-sec. About the same burn time as an F12, just lower thrust levels (70-75% thrust of the F12's thrust curve). The E11 reload is effectively a "shorter" F12, a shorter propellant grain length that is.

I have considered flying this on an F, but the clear fins are unsupported at the leading and trailing edges (the tab is about the middle third or so) so quite likely to flutter.

Given that I have trashed a couple of LPR rockets by overpowering them. I will resist the urge, and try to keep this one in one piece :)

The stock mount is fine for Estes E's, it's just got a spacer so it can accept D's.

You can do it Top! Just epoxy those edges down and you're all set!:cool:

Really nice model!

Have you run any sims? 250 mph sounds pretty fast for an F12. Keep in mind it is a very weak F (45 N-Sec) and a regressive burn thrust curve.

I have seen one of these fly at a local launch and IIRC it's been flown most often on an Estes E9. Although I think the owner probably modified the mount to accept the longer E9, and he has flown it using a Chute Release so the tailweight of the heavier E9 is offset by the noseweight of the C.R. Of course a reload is heavier than a D12 so you may want to add a bit of noseweight to keep the same CG.

The Aerotech E11 reload is another option you could consider. 31.6 N-sec. About the same burn time as an F12, just lower thrust levels (70-75% thrust of the F12's thrust curve). The E11 reload is effectively a "shorter" F12, a shorter propellant grain length that is.

I believe there is only one delay on the E11, 3 seconds. That's about 2 seconds too short. Even the F12 is a second short at 5 sec. Here are some sim runs that might be useful.

SimCapture.PNG

Got a mate of mine to bring back some stuff from the SpaceX shop when he was visiting the USA recently. As part of the batch I got two of the Falcon 9 plus Fairing rocket kits. Cost was $29USD each:

Assembly was simple, and probably a bit slow as I used my usual West Systems epoxy, when five-minute epoxy was specified and probably the best for the task.

The result is something I will fly for the next launch that I manage to get to. It is designed for 24mm D and E motors. It will be the smallest motor I have flown for a long time :)

The body tubes are pre-wrapped with graphics, so there is no painting needed! The fairing does not come with any graphics, so I hunted and managed to find a graphic of the SES-10 mission for the fairing. This was the first mission to fly a reused booster and I have used this on the model as a celebration of their achievement :clap:

No fiberglass has been harmed in the making of this kit :wink:. Bit of a pleasant change from HPR in the simplicity and short build time.

I will build the second kit as a static display of the landed first stage. Just need to 3D print the legs and grid fins etc.

For anyone wanting to build a nice cardboard model, there is a nice resource here:
https://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ind ... %20SES-10/?

Has anyone experimented with doing this rocket with engine-driven gas stabilization? I'd love to fly it without the clear fins. They look fine for a launch or three, but eventually they get scratched up and start looking less and less clear.

I certainly haven't. That forward section screws with the airflow over the model, and I get the sense that a large duct hole in the middle would ruin the aesthetic of the wrap. (You'd have a big S --
A C E X)

But like all things rockets, if there isn't an explicit rule against it, do it! (And document)

Rocketry Friends,

My Falcon 9 is fully assembled and ready to fly. I really like the quality of the parts and the ease of the instructions. I think the fin can and motor mount are cool designs that hopefully will hold together over time. I also like the thick body tubes. I used 5 minute epoxy per the instructions which seemed to work great. I felt the supplied shock cord was rather short so I used a longer elastic section.

My question is for those of you who have flown their Falcon 9's. There is quite a bit of distance between the launch lugs. Has anyone had any issues with the rocket not leaving the launcher straight???

At this point my only regret with the Falcon 9 is I wish I would have bought two of them...

TIA,
Rick

...My question is for those of you who have flown their Falcon 9's. There is quite a bit of distance between the launch lugs. Has anyone had any issues with the rocket not leaving the launcher straight??? ...

I've flown mine on standard Estes Rods as well as longer club rods. I have seen a bit of weathercocking. Hard to tell if it's from that or just wind. I try to keep mine away from the shorter rods though just to be sure.

Sometimes when I build a rocket I do something really dumb and I may have done that today. I wanted to "test fit" a D motor before I left for work. Unfortunately I may not have waited long enough for the white glue on the motor stop ring to dry so it would appear the D-E adapter ring is now a permanent part of the rocket.

It would seem my Falcon 9 is a D motor only rocket... LOL

Oh well, it gives me a reason to order another one.

Get a Dremel and sand that sh!t out. And the regular motor block while you're at it. And do some full epoxy fillets if you haven't already.

But getting another is never bad.

Last edited:
Hope is not lost! I haven't tried it yet, but an Aerotech E15 will still fit just fine. That would take it up to 1300-ish ft.

My regular flying field is too small to support anything above D motors but I just joined NAR and I plan to attend future Tripoli launches so I would like the E motor option without having to do too much rocket surgery.

Not sure why but I really like this rocket so I am going to order another one.

I have already lost my mind as far as rockets are concerned so one more $30 rocket is not going to change that...LOL

This morning my Falcon 9 had two extremely good flights using D12-5 motors. Both flights it veered just a touch before apogee so I had to walk a bit (roughly 400ft) to retrieve the rocket. I will probably cut bleed holes in the parachute. It survived both flights without a scratch.

I was able to wiggle the D-E adapter free so next time out I will launch it with E engines.

Rocketry Friends,

For those of you that have Falcon 9's, I have a story for you. Yesterday I brought my Falcon 9 to a Tripoli launch. I intended to launch it with an E9-4. However the Rocketry Gods intervened and it appears the E9 engine I used had a CATO. My best guess is the ejection plug blew out at ignition.

The good news is my Falcon 9 survived the CATO with a few bumps and bruises along with a broken shock cord. It has been repaired and will live to fly another day.

Needless to say I am pleased and impressed with this product.

Do you happen to have the rocksim file for this? My dad built one but I never got a chance to weigh/sim anything!
Here are the files I have if anyone else is interested.

Attachments

• SpaceX Falcon 9 with Fairing_15.03.ork
    4.5 KB · Views: 69
  • SpaceX Falcon 9 with Fairing.rkt
    22.2 KB · Views: 58
Kind of late to the game (also, a rocketry newb) - I got this kit a while ago and it's been sitting on the shelf because I couldn't get past step 8 ("insert the fins")... The fins simply won't fit into their slots on the tail unit and I'm afraid to push too hard, they seem pretty fragile.
Did you not run into this problem?
Thanks.

Usually you can open up the slots a bit by running some sandpaper in there or a needle file. Go slowly and gently, don’t want to make them too big.

Sanding is an inherent part of rocketry, so might as well get used to it!

(Sculptors make it a living so it’s really not so bad when you expect it and are ready for it.)

Last edited:
This kit has slots on the top and bottom of the fin tab. The bottom slot slides into the slot on the fin can. Do not try to push the fin tab through the slot. The two slots should interconnect. Use a small amount of epoxy on the bottom fin slot.
IMG_20191116_075051.jpg

Also, if I may suggest, before the epoxy on the bottom slot is fully set, dry fit the main tube TEMPORARILY to the fin can so that the top fin slots are aligned correctly. Be sure not to get any glue on the tube at this time. Remove when the glue on the bottom slot has cured.
IMG_20191116_075340.jpg
Great kit, superb flyer. Have fun!

My son and I have flown this 4x, and it has been fun. But, we are having major issues with chute deployment. As in, it won't deploy. Any tips?

Rocket has 4 rough landings, but has survived and been repaired. We want to get the chute issue fixed before we move up to E engines.

Our problem is the chute remains inside the fairing, no matter how we wrap it. We get a good ejection of the fairing, but chute expands and remains inside. Pic below. Thanks!

482618743.jpg

Can you put a ring inside the fairing of large to small diameter that blocks the chute from going into fairing and not deploying??? Like a centering ring or bulkhead should work. Imo.

Back