SpaceX Booster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There has been a fire and explosion under the SpaceX booster currently on the pad at Boca Chica. Cause and damage are currently unknown.

Has there ever been a successful launch of a model rocket with 33 motors?

Auctioneer from out of nowhere:

“We’ve got 2 motors, 2 motors from Mr. F. can I get 3 motors, 3 motors? I’ve got 2 motors so far looking for 3 motors count them 1-2-3 do we have 3 motors anyone? Anyone? We’ve got 2 motors looking for 3, going once, going twice …”

There has been a fire and explosion under the SpaceX booster currently on the pad at Boca Chica. Cause and damage are currently unknown.

Yes, latest Sport Rocketry has a great photo of a rocket with 52x Estes E motors. I believe there were a couple build photos on the forum somewhere as well. The record is much higher, though; I believe it was a boat load of Cs.

That is distressing to hear. :(
33 motors is amateur hour in the field of model rockets. :)

The record is what, two or three hundred?

Please enjoy this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/boris-katan-flights-2017-clusters-3d-printing-fun.139352/

There was a gentleman at a launch last year (BALLS/XPRS?) that had something like iirc 312 Estes BP motors that lit in a single cluster, and the total was like 325.

There was a gentleman at a launch last year (BALLS/XPRS?) that had something like iirc 312 Estes BP motors that lit in a single cluster, and the total was like 325.
It seems to me, obviously a booster noob, that Elon Musk is pushing the envelope hard by launching a 33 engine booster for human payloads to the Moon, Mars and potentially beyond. Have rockets with human payloads ever had so many as 33 engines? What is the maximum to date?

It seems to me, obviously a booster noob, that Elon Musk is pushing the envelope hard by launching a 33 engine booster for human payloads to the Moon, Mars and potentially beyond. Have rockets with human payloads ever had so many as 33 engines? What is the maximum to date?
The ill-fated N1 had 30 engines in the first stage, 8 in the second, and 4 in the third. It was intended to take humans to the moon, but never got (very far) off the launch pad. Of the much-smaller family of successful rockets, Soyuz has 20 main engines, but it also has a few extra smaller nozzles. I'm not sure if those are steering, propulsion, or what. If you counted them as propulsion, you get up to 32.
1657641787101.png

The ill-fated N1 had 30 engines in the first stage, 8 in the second, and 4 in the third. It was intended to take humans to the moon, but never got (very far) off the launch pad. Of the much-smaller family of successful rockets, Soyuz has 20 main engines, but it also has a few extra smaller nozzles. I'm not sure if those are steering, propulsion, or what. If you counted them as propulsion, you get up to 32.
View attachment 527363
Well, maybe 33 is a magic or sacred Masonic number or something. 🙄 However, I'm dubious it's going work for 33 Raptor engines. But since the new Boeing heavy lift booster is so many years behind schedule, maybe Elon will get to the Moon first, manned or not. The Chinese are going for it, too. But I'm afraid the Moon is too dusty for spacesuits and equipment to operate without frequent and effective cleaning, according to Apollo results.

To be really pedantic about it, the RD-107 engine in the Soyuz has one set of pumps feeding four combustion chambers and nozzles (and two verniers in some cases.) So by some reckonings the Soyuz first stage only has five "engines". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-107
Why do the Russians have to be so weird? :D Pedantry noted and appreciated. Note to self: start "engine vs. motor" style pedantry thread inviting arguments on whether it's the combustion chamber/nozzle that makes it an engine or the pump set. See if it can make it past one page before getting shut down due to namecalling. /threadjack

Well, maybe 33 is a magic or sacred Masonic number or something. 🙄 However, I'm dubious it's going work for 33 Raptor engines. But since the new Boeing heavy lift booster is so many years behind schedule, maybe Elon will get to the Moon first, manned or not. The Chinese are going for it, too. But I'm afraid the Moon is too dusty for spacesuits and equipment to operate without frequent cleaning, according to Apollo results.
Whatever else happens, I think it's highly likely that they will make new, exciting, and somewhat explosive discoveries about operating that many engines close together. Noise, vibration, and resonance are extremely weird sciences that bite very hard when provoked.

Oddly, I think the number of engines was set in a very Soviet style. "We can build an engine with X power. We need Y power to achieve our goals. Therefore, we need (Y/X) engines plus one spare in case of failure."

Why do the Russians have to be so weird?
Interesting question. This single-pump multiple-nozzle configuration shows up many times (the RD-180 in the Atlas V is the same way, one pump/two nozzles) but I don't think any US engine design has ever done it. Having more pumps has potential redundancy advantages, but usually rockets don't have one-engine-out capability and if one pump fails, it often destroys the rocket anyway. So you can sort of see the Russian point of view.

As for SpaceX, many people thought the nine engines of the Falcon 9 were too many, but they seem to have made that work pretty reliably. Only time will tell if they went too far with SH.

Update on Booster 7 status. Mostly through Elon tweets but some Texas tank watcher information too. B7 appears to be in good health suffering minor damage from the detonation. At this time B7 is expected to be rolled back to the Highbay for detailed inspection of all 33 Raptors. GSE at the pad has suffered minor damage with the most appearing to be a large fire that broke out at the base of the tower. At this time it is believed to be caused by a generator or electrical box igniting with the LOX being dumped from B7. Although no official reports have been released so far the cause of the detonation is believed to have been a spin start test of the Raptor turbo-pumps. When the high flow rate of LOX started it combusted with methane trapped under the orbital launch mount. Although no clear ignition source is yet to be identified.

Hope this helps provide some information on what happened. Hopefully we can still see SLS and Starship launch on the same day.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be really pedantic about it, the RD-107 engine in the Soyuz has one set of pumps feeding four combustion chambers and nozzles (and two verniers in some cases.) So by some reckonings the Soyuz first stage only has five "engines". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-107
This is not pedantic. The Soyuz rocket no more has twenty engines than a car with four wheels has four engines. The outputs are not the engines; the turbomachinery driving those outputs are the engines, therefore the Soyuz rocket has five engines.

The reason behind having multiple small combustion chambers and nozzles on each engine is to reduce combustion instability. Large combustion chambers are much more prone to it than small ones. Just look at the difficulty the engineers had creating the Saturn V's F-1 engines.

Back