SpaceShipOne X-Prize Attempt...NOW!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else having trouble with the video freezing up every 30 seconds or so? Is it the server or is it my stinkin' machine here at work (guessing the problem is local)?

Anyone notice the Estes add on the Webcast window? Also, the guy speaking at the podium thanking everybody just mentioned Estes/Cox.

I've got it on at work and it's freezing too. Must be high demand.

MSNBC is covering the liftoff and launch, they broke away onto other more mundane stuff a few minutes ago but will go back before the separation and flight.

Well, he's gliding back now, but that didn't look like a very safe - or comfortable - flight.

For those that didn't see it, the SS1 craft began rapidly spinning about the roll axis about 1/2 way through the burn, and it looked like it was severely out of control. Mike Melville's probably going to have to dry out his undies after that.

No idea if he hit the 100KM mark.

I've heard they made 338k feet... Looked like quite a ride on the way up! :D

Phil

Originally posted by vjp
Well, he's gliding back now, but that didn't look like a very safe - or comfortable - flight.

For those that didn't see it, the SS1 craft began rapidly spinning about the roll axis about 1/2 way through the burn, and it looked like it was severely out of control.

IIRC, the previous flight had a control issue; Melville mentioned that had it happened in the atmosphere, things would have been very bad. I wonder if this is the same sort of problem.:(

I think I just heard them say that an actuator overheated and turned itself off. Came back online after it reset itself. Definitely need to remember the rubber pants for those tourist flights!

You know, if I was in charge of the post-flight safing crew, I'd have everyone wear ape masks when they came up to the SS1 to greet Mike Melville.:D

Elapid, Wik and I were all in the chat room talking whilst watching, but man it was scary to watch when it started to spin. Kinda reminded me of trying to play the Orbiter Space Simulator.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I watched the webcast during history class. It sure was awesome to see.

Very appropriate. What better way to learn history than to experience it? This is groundbreaking stuff. It'll be etched in your head the way the Apollo era is etched in mine (sure wish I could get it out of there...).

Originally posted by vjp
You know, if I was in charge of the post-flight safing crew, I'd have everyone wear ape masks when they came up to the SS1 to greet Mike Melville.:D

LOL!!!!:D

Thanks for the links so I was able to watch the simulcast. Two down and one to go.

Kuddos to Spaceship One.

I watched it on t.v. man was that cool or what. The roll looked scary,and at least it didn't lose pitch control. That would have been bad. I guess he shut the motor down 11 sec. early. There's a guy building an ultralight like mine that has something to do with the electronics on board spaceship one. He post some things about it on the lonesome buzzards squawk board. I hope he post some things about the flight there. Way Cool:)
Congratulations to all the team at scaled composites.

Larry

Originally posted by MetMan
LOL!!!!:D

Been funny if Mike would be wearing one when he gets out of the spacecraft.

Wasn't it a Lockheed test pilot that used to wear the ape mask, a derby, and a white scarf while testing the P-80. It was a ruse to convince people who saw the secret jet into thinking they were going crazy.

The spin was unreal. I had a huge lump in my throat just before engine shutdown. The thing the bothers me, was it didn't seem like it was a "clean roll" either. For a minute, It looked like it was going enter into a snap roll set. That wouldn't have been good.

Originally posted by vjp

LOL!

Originally posted by flying_silverad
The spin was unreal. I had a huge lump in my throat just before engine shutdown. The thing the bothers me, was it didn't seem like it was a "clean roll" either. For a minute, It looked like it was going enter into a snap roll set. That wouldn't have been good.

I agree. It had all the makings of a not good end of the mission.

For a minute, It looked like it was going enter into a snap roll set. That wouldn't have been good.

Even if it made the barrier I think they'll have to do more testing before they do the second flight. A roll at high speeds puts an awful lot of stress on an airframe. I think this will not be one of the two winning flights

I agree. I'd be shocked if they didn't need as much time as before to tweek their control systems.

Back