SpaceShipOne X-Prize Attempt...NOW!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, he also had a large stogie in his mouth.

Originally posted by ScottRC
Been funny if Mike would be wearing one when he gets out of the spacecraft.

Wasn't it a Lockheed test pilot that used to wear the ape mask, a derby, and a white scarf while testing the P-80. It was a ruse to convince people who saw the secret jet into thinking they were going crazy.

Originally posted by vjp
You know, if I was in charge of the post-flight safing crew, I'd have everyone wear ape masks when they came up to the SS1 to greet Mike Melville.:D

Been <a href="https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22john+Glenn%22+%22Planet+of+the+Apes%22&btnG=Google+Search">there </a>, <a href="https://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9812/08/glennape.idg/">done that</a>. Got the t-shirt.

Still a great joke to break out every few years... ;)

Originally posted by vjp
You know, if I was in charge of the post-flight safing crew, I'd have everyone wear ape masks when they came up to the SS1 to greet Mike Melville.:D

LOL, me too!

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. I was reading this morning and quickly left the PC when I read MSNBC was covering the flight. Got to the tube just a couple of minutes before it released from the larger plane. What a sight to behold. That was an awesome view of the flight. Although I did get a bit scared when it started to roll. I was glad to see the pilot make light of it after he landed. I wondered what kind of stresses he experienced?

The news lady on MSNBC was a bit negative saying things like, "How can they expect people to pay 200 grand for a seat when it just did a roll like that?" :rolleyes:

Hey lady, stay here, I'll go.

Tim

From some talk I've heard. The roll was at its worse up high in the thin atmosphere so it shouldn't have put much stress on the spacecraft. I too thought it wasn't a smooth roll. I was afraid it was going to start a tumble. I'm glad it all turned out ok, and I hope they find the reason for the roll. That thing is loaded with sensors that monitor everything, so maybe it will pickup what the cause was.

Larry

it shouldn't have put much stress on the spacecraft

In a roll like that if I was a passenger...stress on the "spacecraft" would be the last thing on my mind:eek:!

OK...let's not do THAT again!

aw..... come on sandman!!,you know it would be better than any ride you've ever had.Woo HOOOO!!!!;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Larry

Originally posted by illini
Very appropriate. What better way to learn history than to experience it? This is groundbreaking stuff. It'll be etched in your head the way the Apollo era is etched in mine (sure wish I could get it out of there...).

Why :confused:
What would you rather use those memory cells for? I mean yeah it would be great if i had some memory for things like what it was i was suppossed to be doing when i sat down at the computer tonight but i enjoy my memories of those first apollo flights.

Originally posted by illini
Very appropriate. What better way to learn history than to experience it? This is groundbreaking stuff. It'll be etched in your head the way the Apollo era is etched in mine (sure wish I could get it out of there...).
I didn't say it was a part of the lesson plan. I was watching the webcast on my laptop during the lecture. Don't worry, I got the lesson too. I almost cheered out loud when the rocket lit. ;)

I didn't say it was a part of the lesson plan. I was watching the webcast on my laptop during the lecture. Don't worry, I got the lesson too. I almost cheered out loud when the rocket lit. ;)
Hey, if your history teacher isn't savvy enough to realize an important historical event when it's happening, you've got an edge on him anyway.:D

Originally posted by Adam Selene
Why :confused:
What would you rather use those memory cells for? I mean yeah it would be great if i had some memory for things like what it was i was suppossed to be doing when i sat down at the computer tonight but i enjoy my memories of those first apollo flights.

It was a joke. Apply the emoticon of your choice to the end of my original statement...perhaps one of those winky things.

To be clear, I've stated my opinions regarding Apollo, NASA, and the future of manned spaceflight all over this forum. To succinctly summarize: Apollo was a terrific crash program that showed what we are capable of in space. To exploit our capabilities will require a longer range motive, not a crash program. President Bush's new space initiative is a solid attempt to provide that motive, but it is too little too late. The private guys are the new leading edge of space exploration...NASA is now a dinosaur (except for the unmanned stuff).

Quickly back to our topic, what did you think of that roll? Looked like yaw coupling but I don't know what the difference in effect would be in the upper atmosphere. Would it be more likely to happen when there's less drag? I seem to recall this kind of thing was a "gotcha" with the X-planes back in the 'fifties.

Now, back off topic...did you see the latest "Aviation Week"? Lead story was Bigelow Aerospace's inflatable modules. And they've upped the ante on the X-Prize, announcing a $50 million purse for whoever can achieve a similar feat but instead going all the way to orbit.

SpaceDev is also reviving the X-34 design, with blessings and $$ from NASA Ames. Who else is out there...XCOR, Canadian Arrow, SpaceX, and the "airship to orbit" guys (I can't remember their name but the USAF thinks enough of the idea to fund it).

Things are unfolding much more rapidly than I ever imagined. Bloggers like Rand Simberg had been predicting we'd see a "tipping point" and it sure looks to be happening now.

Well, certainly stabilizing and control surfaces are going to be less effective in the upper atmosphere, so any disturbance is going to be harder to damp. What caused the disturbance in the first place is the big question at this point. There's an article on space.com where the Rutan folks say they never lost control and the roll is a known deficiency. That being the case, I doubt they'll let it keep them from making the next flight on time, but will surely address it before they deliver any vehicles to Virgin Galactic (I love that name...:) ).

Didn't see AvLeak, but did see articles on the new $50m prize. I think its great. Keep the incentives going by whatever means necessary. Prizes. Profit. Whatever, as long as the private guys continue to have a reason to do what they're doing.

Certainly seems to be achieving enough momentum to sustain itself, and that is awesome. The new XCup looks interesting too. No prizes involved (from what I can tell), but the idea of an annual "space show" for the private guys in New Mexico is really cool...like the space equivalent of Oshkosh.

IMHO completing a full orbit is much more enticing to Space Tourists, sure going high enough to experience weightlessness is great but to orbitt he earth would be fantastic.

I read somehwhere a couple of days ago that NASA is putting up cash prizes for private companies completing space goals...not sure on the details, anyone else heard this?

I've heard that NASA is discussing it, but haven't heard any announcements of specific prizes. As long as NASA can find a way to provide incentive without also specifying requirements (beyond those required to win the prize) then I'm all for it. There's definitely an element of "me too!" in NASA's decision to go the prize route. They gotta be feeling some pressure to justify their rather costly existence. Let's face it, NASA couldn't even do a paper study for the $20M that went into developing Spaceship One.

Well, I belive the cost for a shuttle launch is $300 million a launch. These company(ies) just developed space vehicles for under $10 million which is quite amazing. The next step is orbit then a permanent base on the moon. This is quite the leaps and bounds here. This is just the beginning.................

Was that worth quoting?:D

OK I watched it on my comp. last night.
Looked pretty hairy.
Kind of looked like one of my rockets with the inadvertant spin stabilization.
If I was on the ground crew I would hand Mr. Melville a fresh pair of underwear.:D
I don't know about being a passenger, in a flight like that one I am pretty shure I would have left quite a mess in that cockpit.

Originally posted by GL-P
Well, I belive the cost for a shuttle launch is $300 million a launch. These company(ies) just developed space vehicles for under $10 million which is quite amazing. The next step is orbit then a permanent base on the moon. This is quite the leaps and bounds here. This is just the beginning.................

Was that worth quoting?:D

Sure.

So is this: Robert Truax on getting payloads to LEO for $30/lbs.

https://www.rocketryonline.com/Search/db_search.cgi?setup_file=Opinion&submit_search=yes&db_id=36

I wonder how many of the X-Prize attempts are following his advice?

I wonder how many of the X-Prize attempts are following his advice?

From what I can tell, a lot of them are.

The ones that had the funds to be produced are mostly two staged. The Canadian projects follow a lot of the principles on that site: Parachute recovery in the ocean, 2 stage. The only things I can tell that isn't followed is the single engine per stage, and the ocean launch. These companies are doing what Nasa should've been doing from the beginning. Something for Nasa to learn from.

Originally posted by vjp
Hey, if your history teacher isn't savvy enough to realize an important historical event when it's happening, you've got an edge on him anyway.:D
I'm sure he knew about it but we are already so far behind because of the hurricanes. Quite frankly, we didn't have time to devote the lecture time to the launch. It's okay because one of my friends recorded it and we watched it in engineering class later in the day.

Adam and all,
This is from the scaled composites web-site.
Larry

Burt Rutan's Mojave Aerospace Ventures Team successfully reached an altitude of 337,500 feet with Mike Melvill (the pilot) onboard plus ballast (approx. 180 Kg). This flight was deemed by the Judges as a successful first flight for the $10 million Ansari X PRIZE. The X PRIZE has just received official notice from Burt Rutan that SpaceShipOne's second flight (X2) will take place Monday morning, October 4th. Expected flight timeline:
* Takeoff at 7am PT
* Ignition at 8am PT
* Landing at 8:30am PT
* Press Conference to announce official Altitude at 10:30am PT
The entire flight and press conference can be viewed LIVE at www.xprize.org on our global webcast. Ticket are NOW available at https://www.airshownetwork.com/home.html Please spread the word to your friends. Tune in and help us celebrate the birth of the Personal Spaceflight Revolution!

Back