Spaceship One and X-15-3 Delta Maiden flights today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the maiden flight videos...

https://youtu.be/kQDQ0Wzcp4M

The X-15-3 is a stretched version of my X-15 with the proposed Delta wing and some body covers to give a bit more stiffness and body to the model, flew great on an E-6.

The Spaceship one was a struggle to maintain weight and CG and stiffness of the tail booms. I put off making one for a long time. To get the right CG and tail stiffness meant a 21 oz AUW with a 45" long and 46" wide model. The glide was very very good and docile and both roll and pitch had plenty of authority. There is still a bit of flex in the wing/booms and the E-18 caused just a bit of flutter at burnout, the E-12 is a better burn profile. Unfortunately if I went with a 32mm motor, I'd have to reinforce more, and add at least 6 ounces total to the flight weight and the boost profile wouldn't be any better. In any case, I'm very pleased with the boost and glide, I haven't seen any rc or rocket boosted spaceship ones that flew worth a darn yet. Most were either too small, too heavy or CG and control were bad, or just basically dropped like a stone. I was happy that this worked as well as it did, even with the short glide.

Hope you like them...

Frank

Hi Frank,

Great flights! The X-15 delta looks great on boost. The SS1 really seems to glide well. Do you think there is a 29mm motor option that might give a stronger boost that wouldn't require as much reinforcement as required for the 32mm motors?

Mike Mc.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it seems like 15ns average thrust is about all it will take without more stiffening, at this weight and max speed, any more tail weight will mean more nose weight, any of the small 29's have too high an average thrust..a low thrust 50%f would be perfect, like an f-16, but not as heavy as the 3.5 oz 32mm version..

Hi Frank,

Great flights! The X-15 delta looks great on boost. The SS1 really seems to glide well. Do you think there is a 29mm motor option that might give a stronger boost that wouldn't require as much reinforcement as required for the 32mm motors?

Mike Mc.

Back