spacers and minimum diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AP aroma

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Is it possible to use spacers in a reload case and attach it to an Aeropac minimum diameter retainer? For example a 1 grain reload in a 3 grain case with 2 spacers. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Jim

Is it possible to use spacers in a reload case and attach it to an Aeropac minimum diameter retainer? For example a 1 grain reload in a 3 grain case with 2 spacers. Has anyone done this?
Completely guessing at your intent here, a 38/360 with two spacers in the RAS makes a 38/120. You'll need to replace the forward piece with the one that has an anchor point.

Attachments

• 38mm_Forward_Open_closure_A_02.jpg
    38mm_Forward_Open_closure_A_02.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 24
I do this all the time in 2 of my 38mm minimum diameter rockets. One thing to note is that the anchor ring that dhbarr posted does not protrude out of the case as far as the standard threaded forward closure. Its the only way to do it, but just note, you will need a longer allthread/bolt to reach the closure.

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm new to using a MD retainer. DHBAR, is the piece you are showing something I would get from Aerotech? What is it called? If I was using CTI is there a part like this available?

Thanks Again,

Jim

AeroPack has the MC38 and MC54, where you dump out the BP from the CTI forward closure (helps to scrape away any large chunks of the yellow glue that might remain), then screw these parts in (they tap themselves into the charge well), I've used them a bunch of times successfully. I'd recommend having a 7/8" socket wrench handy, as you need to apply a good bit of downward pressure to get the part to bite into the charge well walls. And if you normally grease the O-rings / liner / etc, be sure to do this tapping before handling the grease, as it can be hard to get a good grip on the smooth plastic afterwards (a strap wrench might help to hold the closure also). And of course don't forget and throw the part away with the closure when you're done. :)

Since these attach to the closure the threaded rod will be the same regardless of which case / # of spacers you use with the load.

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm new to using a MD retainer. DHBAR, is the piece you are showing something I would get from Aerotech? What is it called? If I was using CTI is there a part like this available?

Thanks Again,

Jim

The item posted is an Aerotech product, used in place of the forward closure in their Reload Adapter System. At least one grain spacer must be used with this style closure.

https://csrocketry.com/rocket-motor...ch-38mm-forward-closure-ring-with-anchor.html

IIRC, it's only a 38mm product.

For screwing the Aeropack adapters into the CTI 54mm loads I put the adaptor in a vice and screw the motor (fully assembled, in casing) down onto that. Seems to work better that way for me. Easier to keep the motor threading straight IMHO.

Yes, don't forget to take the adapter off the spent motor before throwing it in the rubbish :rolleyes:.

Thanks to you guys for getting me squared away on this. I now feel like I am able to proceed with cases with spacers no matter if it is CTI or Aerotech. The Rocketry Forum is such a valuable resource!

Best,
Jim

Back