Spacemonkey Models V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjohnson

mox nix
Reaction score
I'm working on a conversion of the Spacemonkey Models V2 in 1/24 scale. It's a great kit. If you don't have one, go here now and order, I'll wait...

https://spacemonkeymodels.com/Spacemonkey_Models/V-2_Model.html

Ok, no pictures in this post, but I will add a few later on.
Work so far-
added stuffer tube
opened nozzle to allow motor tube to pass through
trimmed motor tube and added CR and shock cord
started gluing fin halves together

I originally planned for an 18mm motor mount based on prototype model flights at the WSMC by Matt Steele on a C6. Really awesom flight, slow and majestic. In talking to James Duffy about the conversion I found out the production model was a bit heavier than the pre-production parts Matt used. So I had to swap out the 18mm mount for a 24mm mount.

More to come.

kj

Here are the photos.. Starting with the box, what's in it and some of the parts sprues.

box.jpg

contents.jpg

finparts.jpg

A BT-55 stuffer tube is just about a perfect fit. Here it is attached to the rear ring, and at the top of the model. It also acts with the small shoulder of the nose cone to hold the cone in place.

stuffer.jpg

stuffertop.jpg

withcone.jpg

Here is the motor tube (before trimming) and the kevlar shock cord. A shot of the motor mount in place with the fins, and then of the whole thing together.

A small set of spring clamps will be really helpful when gluing the fin halves together.

shockmount.jpg

rearfins.jpg

together.jpg

Top Quality is how to describe what you get when you order this model. ( OK I haven't gotten one yet, but got to handle the one in the pictures :wink: )

The question is.............. which version will you be doing the finish in ?

I was thinking I'd use this one...
From "Secret Wonder Weapons of the Third Reich: German Missiles 1934-1945" by Miranda and Mercado.

redv2.jpg

Mr. Monkey had a vendor table at Scalefest (hosted by Squadron Signal) in Dallas last weekend. The first thing I noticed about it was that it was blow molded. Nice detail and pretty light. I don't think it was heavier than an injected molded unit of the same size. The plastic is a little "see thru" and a little grainy in texture. This will make a great PMC or should I say BMMC. In fact, Mr. Monkey (or Space, as his friends call him) said the original idea was to make it a flyer....

What are you projecting for the final weight, with and without motor?

Will it be necessary to add nose-weight and how much, if any ?

Sure it will need some noseweight. No clue how much yet. I usually don't have a preset idea what a project will weigh ahead if time.

Ok, tonight I glued in the motor mount and got the shock cord and nose weight installed.

Total weight: 379g (with D12-3 loaded)
Nose cone weight: 110g

CP derived from cardboard cutout, so it's prolly a little conservative on the CG, but that's better than being unstable. :)

kj

Last edited:
Added all the little dangly bits and stuff today. The most frustrating part of the build was the little simulated fasteners for the tailcone section. not because the kit doesn't have great instructions for it or is poorly thought out, but cutting and chasing down 24 little 1mmx1.5mm pieces of plastic was a real challenge!

Also started painting today.

IMG_1058.jpg

You get a section of 1.5 mm plastruct half-round in the kit. You cut that into 1mm sections. Using a template provided in the kit (think wrap around fin marking guide) you place each one of the little pieces you cut on the model, then hit it with a little liquid cement.

Very well thought out and the finished effect is really nice. Just takes a steady hand and good eyes not to lose the little boogers.

kj

Here is a quick shot of the model right after the tape came off. Still have a couple of paint boogers to fix and some brush work along the base.

kj

paintedv2sm.jpg

Here is a quick shot of the model right after the tape came off. Still have a couple of paint boogers to fix and some brush work along the base.

I'm verklempt. Please, talk amongst yourselves. <G>

Looks great, Kevin! Will it fly at ECRM this weekend?

Just a gentle reminder that PMC is one of the events at this year's NARAM. If you have not yet selected your PMC project, please allow me to humbly suggest that you consider the Spacemonkey Models V-2, as Kevin has!

www.spacemonkeymodels.com

James
www.spacemonkeymodels.com

Thanks. Small photos and low resolution hide a multitude of sins. It was a very easy conversion to do, and the model still looks great even with my paint goofs. Should be a pretty flight.

kj

Here it is as ready as it's gonna be for turn in tomorrow. I'll see what I can do for you on the videos and stuff, Jerry.

kj

IMG_1081.jpg

Last edited:
Them model flew in a most excellent manner yesterday on a D12-3.

Here is a video I took.
[YOUTUBE]8nVZZpCCoMk[/YOUTUBE]

kj

Georgous flight Kevin!
Sorry I missed it. How did you fair points wise?

Less than 3 jets. I did rush the paint and didn't go pack to fix some of the paint boogers like I would have if I'd had more time. Like most PMC's based on rockets it took a hit on the degree of difficulty, so in a field that included a big Mig-21, an F-100 and an F-102, it just didin't have the wow factor.

I'm glad I did the conversion though, and if you are looking for kit to try PMC with this one is a great choice. Plus you get a cool DVD on the V2. :)

kj

Back