Space technology that can help us preserve our environment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearnard66

Reaction score
Can such space technology like satellites or microsatellites make their investsments in preservation of the environment on Earth? For example, such project like Sentinel-6 satellite we can observe sea level and other stuff that can help scientists make particular operation in environmental preservation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the question is quoted, but as a partial answer: yes of course. The NOAA and similar organizations throughout the world use all sorts of data from satellites to understand and predict the weather of tomorrow and as far into the future as they can. It's called atmospheric sciences and it's all about applied physics.

If someone needs answers as to why understanding and predicting the weather is important, well ok, first, it's for agricultural planning and making sure humans can eat, second it's so that people can decide where to live and build stuff. All of that is also economics, and that's what economics is all about: trying to predict how humans will behave. That helps governements, bankers, insurers, investors and business people, and that basically includes everyone. So yes, satellites of all sizes help with all of that.

I'm not sure why the question is quoted, but as a partial answer: yes of course. The NOAA and similar organizations throughout the world use all sorts of data from satellites to understand and predict the weather of tomorrow and as far into the future as they can. It's called atmospheric sciences and it's all about applied physics.

If someone needs answers as to why understanding and predicting the weather is important, well ok, first, it's for agricultural planning and making sure humans can eat, second it's so that people can decide where to live and build stuff. All of that is also economics, and that's what economics is all about: trying to predict how humans will behave. That helps governements, bankers, insurers, investors and business people, and that basically includes everyone. So yes, satellites of all sizes help with all of that.
As far as you may know space weather has an affect on technology we have on Earth and technology in space like satellites and ISS the work of which can be interrupted by space weather affect.

But for the most part, especially today... it's about making money.

Sure but one could say that about anything. There are reasons why people want to make money and it's most often related to survival and security. I understood the question as whether satellites were profitable when making physical measurements, and my answer would be yes. The data (or equipement providing it) is sold to anyone who wants it, including goverments who are paid to provide survival and security.

Last edited:
As far as you may know space weather has an affect on technology we have on Earth and technology in space like satellites and ISS the work of which can be interrupted by space weather affect.

Yes satellites can measure that too. Space weather (a.k.a. cosmic radiation, aurora, etc.) is mostly due to the Sun and is shielded by our atmosphere, which obviously doesn't protect satellites. Fortunately, we don't hear very often about satellites being damaged that way. Studying "space weather" is also an important application of sounding rockets.

Here's a video you might enjoy about the current importance of satellites:

Last edited:
Yes satellites can measure that too. Space weather (a.k.a. cosmic radiation, aurora, etc.) is mostly due to the Sun and is shielded by our atmosphere, which obviously doesn't protect satellites. Fortunately, we don't hear very often about satellites being damaged that way. Studying "space weather" is also an important application of sounding rockets.

Earth`s orbit is full of space debris and this is another important issue. Actually, it's not dangerous for humans on Earth but as I have already mentioned it's rather dangerous for spacecraft and for space companies who's spacecraft can collide and be damaged by space junk and whole mission can be under threat.

But getting back to my topic satellites are very important in our life. And the video you`ve shared with us proves it. Some sorts of sats and microsatellites help scientists observe meltion of glaciers, track rare species of animals and control deforestation in some regions. So with the help of that sats scientists can affect on environmental preservation process
https://www.skyrora.com/post/monitoring-deforestation-using-satellite-technology

The company I`ve mentioned is not so large and advanced like NASA. But still, it takes a great part in environmental precervation compeign by manufacturing special satellite technology like observing glaciers melting, track rare species of animals and control deforestation in some regions.

What if I tell you that we have this technology for a long time? I mean satellites. There's no better way to monitor the environment than to do it from space. The key requirement for a satellite is to be equipped with a powerful camera, like this Chameleon imager. Dragonfly Aerospace is a new company that produces smallsats and CubeSats imagers that may be used for observing the Earth and taking high-resolution photos. Even the small size of the satellite and the imager itself won't prevent scientists from obtaining the necessary information. Satellites have more power than we imagine.

Latest posts

Back