space shuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havoc821

Reaction score
Has anybody been having trouble with the Estes Space Shuttle?? 3 out of 4 launches the shuttle has not deployed its parachute and it slams into the ground. It seems that it lands on the groound and then the ejection charge goes off making a really loud BOOM! It makes a really cool sound though. I don't have a long delay charge (3 or 5 seconds). What am I doing wrong? BTW does anybody have a cluster shuttle, if so how did you set it up? thanks. :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill:

I assume you mean the full Shuttle system with main tank/SRBs. I have flown mine twice on C6-3s. The first flight was a little wobbly, but was generally straight up. Ejection near apogee and everything recovered fine. The second flight was a low arcing flight and ejection was a few feet from the ground. Even though the chute didn't deploy, there was no damage to the booster or the glider. There was some wind in both cases and I don't have an explanation for the greatly different flight profiles.Was going to fly it tomorrow before the 7" of snow :mad:

That particular space shuttle kit has the distinction of being one of the only (if not THE only) KIT that is a standard HEADS UP flight at virtually every club launch that i've ever been to...

:D

Someday I'll try a D21 in it. Probably will still be heads-up, but for another reason :cool:

havoc,

Check out this site. George Gassway's shuttle (look for the links to his shuttle page).

he entered this in the World Space modeling Championships.

the SRB's pop off like the real one and the orbiter is radio controled.

There is a little video too.

https://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/gcghome.htm

sandman

I guess I forgot to mention that the shuttle does not have the SRB's or the fuel tanks. It is only the orbiter. Thanks for the help anyways, but still if you know how to cluster this one, or have pictures, that would be great. Thanks. :)

Is it the foam shuttle with the inner motor tube with all the metal washers that is supposed to eject allwing the shuttle to glide back?? I love that one... Works great with D21s! Anyway, whats the flight look like in yours? Unstable and flopping to the ground or just arcs over after thrust and plows dirt then ejects???

I have one of the foam gliding shuttles. What delay on that D21? I'd love to try that!!!

Mark

the shttle that guy built on the site looks really kool wouldn't mind one for my self if i had the money

Loopy - If you use a single use, try the D21-4, 7 is way too long.... if you use RMS, try cutting the delay as short as you dare with a D24... that way the ejection charge will actually give the shuttle that much more umph at the top.. although you'll find at the speeds these motors propel the shuttle, you may do a loop! Lotsa "lift" generated! Looks so cool and much faster than it should probably go! :)

Towelie, at this point I'm willing to try anything. Haven't been able to get the thing to have a successful flight yet...lol

Mark

Loopy - Really? what happens? I've flown it a number of times and it always seems to work great with Cs or Ds. The Ds can sometimes be a little squirrely since they get it going so fast... are you sure its trimmed well for gliding?? If its not, the high speeds can make it do weird things like try to dive into the ground! Is the pod not ejecting?? I remember a friend's having to have the motor tube sanded quite a bit to get it loose enough so that it might eject but not too loose. Just a bit snug without binding or sticking along the way out...

It seems to glide ok when I test it out, it just doesn't seem to get high enough, and ejects too close to the ground. Last flight, it ejected right after it hit the ground, and the ejection threw it back into the air about 15 feet, and it glided back nicely. Interesting, but really not what I intended with the flight...lol Got quite a few laughs, though. ;)

Mark

Matt,

I have seen one go for $70 on ebay. I am building one now. It was given to me. The deal is that I build it and fly it for my friend who did not have time to build it.

Greg

what about a SR71 Black bird? un opend?
i have the space shuttle but its missin parts, im going back to the place today to see if hes got the rest, there was other old kit there ill take a pic and post if and if any one wants one of them
im selling

matt

Matt,

Estes is going to re-release the SR-71 Blackbird.

sandman

well should i buy it or not?
also if i get all the parts does anyone wanna but the space shuttle off me?
make me an offer

matt

Matt,

The SR-71 is a nice looking model, but doesnt like wind. It will fly straight when its quiet, but does weird things when its windy. I have had some good flights on one. I had the shock cord break once and it flat spun into the ground. Didn't hurt it, also it is a little heavy so the chute is large and hard to fold so it fits in the body tube. I've had it hang up once also.

The Estes Space Shuttle with the tank and boosters flies well when it quiet , or a little wind if its oriented right in relation to the wind,and neat when it works right. We had the shuttle hang up and not release once. Most of the time it has worked pretty well....Larry

he also had a old built patriot it looked around bt60 with a 18mm?
is that worth buying? its $25?
comon el grandee masters of LPR help me!

matt

Back