Space Shuttle Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailmike

Reaction score
I'm planning on going out there to see the shuttle launch currently scheduled for August 7th. Does anyone have any tips on where to stay and where to go to see the launch?

Thanks a lot,
Mike

I always recommend Space View Park as a good site to view the launches.

I live in the area so I haven't stayed in hotels in the area, but there are many in Cocoa Beach. Some have historic interest such as the Best Western. It's on the site of the former "Polaris Motel." The attached Durango Steakhouse restaurant is not only good, it used to be the "Mouse Trap" - the astronaut hang out. They still have memoribila on display there.

The La Quinta Inn in Cocoa Beach was once owned by the Mercury 7 astronauts.

-- Roger

A friend of mine who went to a recent launch said that the closest and best spot to view the launches is the Causeway at Cape Canaveral. When he went to buy the tickets, he said they sold out within seconds. Anybody have experience with purchasing tickets and the Causeway?

Thanks,
Mike

A friend of mine who went to a recent launch said that the closest and best spot to view the launches is the Causeway at Cape Canaveral. When he went to buy the tickets, he said they sold out within seconds. Anybody have experience with purchasing tickets and the Causeway?

One of the reasons the causeway tickets sell out so quickly is because a significant of them are pre-committed to local tour operators, who offer travel/causeway packages from Orlando. See:

https://www.ksctickets.com/latrpa.html

It's a little pricey, but it gets you to the causeway site (just about the best viewing location short of the VAB press site), and not having to worry about driving significantly lowers the stress levels. We did this for STS-120 in October '07, and boarded the bus at a location in Disney World, as part of a longer vacation. I'd do it again in an instant!

As an aside, the causeway site beats the heck out of the viewing site in Titusville, where we viewed the STS-95 launch.

James

just FYI everything I've seen has the launch no earlier than July 11th at 7:39 pm being a Saturday evening launch expect extremely heavy traffic and lots of people charging for parking on the side of the road. It's not very up close but Old town Cocoa's riverfront park is a good viewing site, I recommend Ryan's Pizza for dinner before hand. If you want further north Miracle City Mall (which looks far from miraculous) is right on the Banana river (US 1) and I've watched a few times from there, a nice clear spot between the condos. Also I think then only have a few days on this launch window they we stand down for a Russian launch and the window doesn't open till the 20 somethingth. However trouble shooting on the tank appears to be going well.

When do the tickets to the Causeway go on sale? I don't see any packages for the causeway. Do you have a link to that site?

Thanks a lot,
Mike

When do the tickets to the Causeway go on sale? I don't see any packages for the causeway. Do you have a link to that site?

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/event-sign-up.aspx

The emails they send will include a link to where you can purchase the tickets. Be aware, however, that the causeway viewing tickets sell out in a manner of minutes.

You can also get tickets through tour companies. The page the email links to will include links to these third-party companies if the tickets from the Visitors Center have all been sold.

-- Roger

Back